"Coronavirus" is the category, dangit. (COVID-19 thread)

Büge

Re: "Coronavirus" is the category, dangit. (COVID-19 thread)

Postby Büge » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:14 pm

I managed to get my second shot (Moderna, to be specific), and thus far the only effects have been aches throughout my body, as if I'd been standing and walking all day.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:37 pm

yay

I managed to get my second shot (Moderna, to be specific), and thus far the only effects have been aches throughout my body, as if I'd been standing and walking all day.

yay

I'm happy for you! Sorry about your earlier misadventure, I'm glad you got the second shot.

also yeah the fatigue was real. I got pfizer but pretty much everyone says the fatigue and aches are pretty standard.
ImageImageImage

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:01 pm

Büge wrote:I managed to get my second shot (Moderna, to be specific), and thus far the only effects have been aches throughout my body, as if I'd been standing and walking all day.

Just like Rory Calhoun
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:56 pm

Delta variant’s rampant US spread has experts rethinking masks—again

But the unvaccinated aren't the only people threatened by delta's frenetic spread. Some experts point out that, although vaccines are still highly effective at preventing death and disease, they're not 100 percent effective overall. There's still a small chance that fully vaccinated people can get infected, and—although any such infections would very likely be asymptomatic or cause only mild disease—those fully vaccinated people could still help the highly contagious variant spread onward.

This is creating a rift among experts on what precautions fully vaccinated people should take. Those at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention argue that the risk of spread—to and from—fully vaccinated people is very low. As such, the agency continues to say that fully vaccinated people can shed their masks and walk among crowds. Other experts, including experts at the World Health Organization, are more precautious.

"We still live in a world that is only partially vaccinated, that has a lot of susceptibility, a lot of vulnerability," Bruce Aylward, a senior advisor for the World Health Organization's director-general, said in a press briefing last week. "So, what we're saying is: once you've been fully vaccinated, continue to play it safe, because you could end up as part of a transmission chain."

Aylward and several other WHO experts reiterated their long-standing position that everyone—even those fully vaccinated—should continue to do everything they can to reduce transmission, particularly as the delta variant spreads.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:03 pm

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:53 pm

One month on they'll have convinced themselves that was the message all along and anything else you may have heard was from the antifas.

Fuck it though, I'd take that win.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:49 pm

Unless the loonies just turn on FOX as well.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:22 pm

Mongrel wrote:Unless the loonies just turn on FOX as well.

I mean, they already have.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:30 pm

So, uh, I don't want to be alarmist, but the Lambda variant out of Peru has a fatality rate of NINE POINT THREE PERCENT.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:49 am

Mongrel wrote:So, uh, I don't want to be alarmist, but the Lambda variant out of Peru has a fatality rate of NINE POINT THREE PERCENT.

Just the regular seasonal flu doing flu things, no cause for worry.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:31 pm

I'm pretty sure I would never have guessed this percentage.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:58 am

This 900-person delta cluster in Mass. has CDC freaked out—74% are vaccinated

US officials should acknowledge that with delta dominating the country, "the war has changed," the document read. Officials who spoke with the Post say that the analyses and the urgency the document contains are what prompted the CDC to reverse its masking guidance earlier this week. The CDC now recommends indoor masking, regardless of vaccination status, in schools, in areas with "high" or substantial" COVID-19 transmission, or when there's contact with vulnerable people, such as unvaccinated children or immunocompromised people.

But the document shared with the Post two days after the CDC mask update goes further, saying, "Given higher transmissibility and current vaccine coverage, universal masking is essential to reduce transmission of the delta variant."

The document also focused on the needle that the CDC must now thread with its unpopular health messaging—emphasizing the critical need for everyone to be vaccinated, while also acknowledging the perhaps not-so-rare risk of breakthrough infections and the need to keep up mitigation efforts even after vaccination. Despite the concerning data on delta, vaccines have still proven to be highly effective against severe disease, hospitalization, and death. They remain the most powerful tool to end the health crisis and reclaim some version of normality. But there are clearly caveats, and the CDC has yet to publicly release the data it has to back up its new alarm over delta.

They never should have relaxed the guidelines. This was foreseeable and foreseen.

JD

Postby JD » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:16 pm

Of all the adaptions the public have had to make, mask wearing has to be the easiest and least objectionable. The eagerness to get rid of them while the pandemic is ongoing is unbelievable.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:12 pm

JD wrote:Of all the adaptions the public have had to make, mask wearing has to be the easiest and least objectionable. The eagerness to get rid of them while the pandemic is ongoing is unbelievable.

And it has not escaped my notice that all these clowns screaming about how it's a government encroachment on their freedom are the same motherfuckers who wanted to throw the Bill of Rights out the window after 9/11, an event that killed 1/200th as many Americans as COVID-19 has (so far).

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:38 pm

The operative part of the "Don't Tread on Me" slogan is the "on Me" part.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:57 am

Thad wrote:
JD wrote:Of all the adaptions the public have had to make, mask wearing has to be the easiest and least objectionable. The eagerness to get rid of them while the pandemic is ongoing is unbelievable.

And it has not escaped my notice that all these clowns screaming about how it's a government encroachment on their freedom are the same motherfuckers who wanted to throw the Bill of Rights out the window after 9/11, an event that killed 1/200th as many Americans as COVID-19 has (so far).

They're the same crowd that crows that extrajudicial killings in the street are okay because whoever was killed "shouldn't have resisted." Their frame of reference is that they should never be required to do or not do anything
signature

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:25 am

I didn't want to be as cynical as I thought this take was, but I think people hanging on to the middle class in America just really don't understand the extent of cause and effect. They legitimately believe that bad things won't/can't happen to them. Yes, a billionaire can make a mind control virus that you avoid, because you're smart. But people in America can't start dying of an actual plague. And if any actually did it's because they literally wade in shit and filth all day. I would never be in a bad situation with police, so if that really does happen to people (and I don't think it does) then it obviously must be their faults. Very "don't you know who my dad is?" energy, but applied to actual existence instead of getting out of a DUI when you're 19.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:05 pm

It's American invulnerability. Because America is protected by God, so nothing bad can ever happen to Americans or America. Ever. Except when evil people who hate us for no reason decide to attack us for no reason.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:48 pm

"It can't happen here" is one of the worst fucking goddamn things to ever afflict a country.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:07 pm

I think y'all are putting a lot more thought into rationalizing their behavior than they do.