The Palestine Thread: because the I in Israel stands for "illegal occupation"

Büge

The Palestine Thread: because the I in Israel stands for "illegal occupation"

Postby Büge » Sat May 15, 2021 11:51 am

I figured that we could use a thread for Palestine's fight for freedom against Israeli forces. So far this week, Palestinians have been forcibly evicted from their homes in Sheikh Jarrah, Israeli forces have raided the Al-Aqsa mosque, and, just this morning, Israel bombed the building in Gaza housing Al-Jazeera and the Associated Press.

So yeah.

Free Palestine.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: The Palestine Thread: because the I in Israel stands for "illegal occupation"

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 15, 2021 2:23 pm

And the 'a' stands for 'Apartheid' (I was about to say I'd use a stronger term than "illegal occupation", which is practically a euphemism at this point, but por que no los dos?).

Incidentally, they also managed to ensure that every major social media outlet had "technical problems" which kept them offline for the first three days of the offensive (or longer). But hey, what's the use of having a giant weapons industry if you don't have a captive audience to help you advertise it every couple of years?

Oh and the IDF has an active - and technically unjustified even by the IDF's own standards - program to disappear historical documents that would reveal anything about the Nakba.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: The Palestine Thread: because the I in Israel stands for "illegal occupation"

Postby Mothra » Sat May 15, 2021 2:27 pm

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat May 15, 2021 2:37 pm

Anyone hear any confirmation that this is white phosphorus? Looks like it.

Israel denies it right now.

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Sat May 15, 2021 3:24 pm

I'm guessing unless Israel has a major political shift their plan is to just slowly burn away the Palestinian zones until they are all dead or gone and they are willing to take decades to do it because human rights atrocities are more palatable to the masses and world governments if done slowly enough that attention isn't given to it that often.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 15, 2021 4:01 pm

Well that plan's worked pretty well for 50 years so far.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat May 15, 2021 9:39 pm

You can tell the Israelis have been up to some really bad serious shit because all the "Israel are the good guys" dudes have gone to "Actually it's really complicated and you don't know anything about it, so stop commenting guys"
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun May 16, 2021 7:35 am

Metal Slime wrote:I'm guessing unless Israel has a major political shift their plan is to just slowly burn away the Palestinian zones until they are all dead or gone and they are willing to take decades to do it because human rights atrocities are more palatable to the masses and world governments if done slowly enough that attention isn't given to it that often.

I know that it's largely an increased view on the situation right now. But the past year was ramping up, and the last few weeks have been so extremely and egregiously out of line that it really feels like they decided support of Israel was dropping so they better bump that 100 year plan up to a 10 year plan before backlash actually has an impact on it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 16, 2021 3:21 pm

Some background:

Bibi is such a corrupt piece of shit and the various flavours of hyperconservative hate each other so much (in spite of everything else, it's always nice to see the right wing at it instead of the left) that the Knesset had been deadlocked for months with no parties able to form a government coalition.

Recently, this meant that - OH NO! - deals were on the verge of being brokered that would have given one or more of the Arab political parties a place in a ruling coalition. And then Israeli police COINCIDENTALLY decided to go poke the angry bear they keep chained up in a closet, also COINCIDENTALLY right in the middle of Ramadan and Eid, and oh gee, now the Arab and Jewish populations of Israel are in the middle of their worst mutual street violence in ages.

Bibi got exactly what he wanted.

I think opinion has been changing for years though. The US does its own thing because of the complicated evangelical fetish for Israel, but overall, global news coverage is becoming less nuanced, and in a good way. Even the headline in the staid conservative Globe this morning was an unambiguous "Israel kills 42 in Gaza as Benjamin Netanyahu warns war will go on".

Israel's also been used to the intimidation and cajoling of western reporters working out for them (more or less) for years. I want to say that blowing up the AP building (and Al Jazeera, but they're easy for the already-prejudiced to ignore) might turn out to be a yard too far, but I guess we'll see.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue May 18, 2021 5:33 am

Mongrel wrote:And then Israeli police COINCIDENTALLY decided to go poke the angry bear they keep chained up in a closet, also COINCIDENTALLY right in the middle of Ramadan and Eid

Huh. English Immigration Control (Specifically Priti Patel [R at heart]) sent a squad up to Glasgow to harass a couple of Sheikh community favourites at the same time. I'm beginning to think that decision filtered down from the exact same top level conversation as a random side-effect.

Didn't work BTW, half the city turned up to blockade their van until the local police persuaded them to fuck off back south. I'm liking this country.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue May 18, 2021 12:08 pm

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue May 18, 2021 6:28 pm

"Hey guys, check this out, I'm gonna throw a stun grenade at this emergency vehicle."

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed May 26, 2021 6:47 pm

Meanwhile everywhere else in the world Jewish people are seeing a huge surge in racial violence against them and calls for another holocaust because of course Benjamin's fresh bullshit is an extra Christmas for Nazis.

<screams into bucket>

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 26, 2021 9:30 pm

I've been saying that for quite a while now, that the actions of the State of Israel are the greatest danger to Jews around the world since the actual Nazis.

"You see? You see what happens when you let them up off the ground?"

Meanwhile you get the comedy of western defenders of Israel saying "But Israel is a secular state, unlike those dirty Arab theocracies!" while folks like Bibi expressly state they're acting for religious reasons/Jews and the Israeli not-constitution expressly states it is a "Jewish and democratic state".

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:04 pm

Dunno if y'all had heard about this, but there were recently some Israeli real estate groups selling occupied Palestinian land at events in synagogues in the US and Canada.

https://pivot.quebec/2024/03/08/infiltration-dans-une-foire-immobiliere-qui-vend-des-terres-palestiniennes-a-montreal/

Here's the video that runs down what the investigative journalist learned. It's in French, but you can probably get the gist of it.