Re: QUILTBAG

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:25 pm

you guyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssss
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:38 pm

Elvira reveals her partner had to work at Subway for a while to make ends meet.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:46 pm

BBC quits Stonewall diversity scheme over impartiality concerns

Director general says coverage of transgender issues requires the inclusion of critical voices

So we're going full quiet-parts-out-loud fascist collapse over here I guess. Because it's super important that the national broadcaster be politically free to oppress this one last minority. (IE: Fox style equal screen time for Science vs. Some Lairy Cunt)

No honestly it'll go great this time we promise.

Fuuuuuuuck.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun May 22, 2022 2:58 pm

Trans patient gets new vaginoplasty procedure that she helped invent

This is pretty baller.

Wait, they probably removed those.

atog

Postby atog » Sun May 22, 2022 5:21 pm

Büge wrote:Trans patient gets new vaginoplasty procedure that she helped invent

This is pretty baller.

Wait, they probably removed those.

We know a transwoman from another board that may have had this done recently as well - she reports the first field-test results are "knee-wobbling" which seems like a strong endorsement of the reconstruction, if not a clinical term.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun May 22, 2022 6:18 pm

atog wrote:We know a transwoman from another board that may have had this done recently as well - she reports the first field-test results are "knee-wobbling" which seems like a strong endorsement of the reconstruction, if not a clinical term.

Nice.

Also nice.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:00 pm

Scotland has passed the Gender Recognition Reform bill, and I'm gonna go ahead and not link to any of the coverage in the Terf Island press. Instead, here's a post from Rob McDowall on Mastodon:

History made: Scotland becomes the first constituent country of the UK to adopt a system of ‘self-ID’ and the reversal of the medicalisation of gender recognition.

(with apologies for dropping the trans and rainbow flag emojis from the quote but apparently the board software doesn't support them)

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:11 pm

Cheryl Morgan has a thread breaking down the political implications. She adds at the end that Spain has just passed similar legislation.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:55 pm

UK Government BLOCKS Scotland's Gender Recognition Reform Bill

The bill received cross-party support at Holyrood before Christmas with some Conservative MSPs even breaking ranks to back it.

But Westminster has decided to use a Section 35 Order to stop the bill from getting Royal Assent.

This order has never been used before to block a piece of Holyrood legislation and is expected to spark a major constitutional row.

I don't know UK politics very well but, per that last line, this is unprecedented; I'm seeing the phrase "nuclear option" in a number of headlines. It sounds like they really couldn't have handed a bigger gift to the Scottish independence movement. Labour, predictably but disappointingly, isn't doing much of anything to stand up for trans rights or Scottish rights either.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:14 am

"Fatal miscalculation by central government in assuming there is a single soul in Scotland who hates trans people more than they hate the English."

She also has a primer on UK/Scottish politics:
Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland don't really want to be in the UK. They've been given leeway to do whatever they want with their own governments, and England has the power to veto what they're doing but doesn't so that they don't actually make a serious attempt at independence. But Rishi Sunak apparently doesn't understand that, has picked this stupid hill to die on, and is threatening to veto a law that literally everyone except the Conservatives in Scotland voted for (it passed 86-39.) This in turn is likely to cause the rest of the UK to say "fuck England, we're all in on trans rights" and might just end in at least Scotland leaving if not the complete dissolution of the United Kingdom. Wales is already talking about passing their own version of this law, and Brexit brought the situation in Ireland to the brink of troubles.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:34 pm

atog

Postby atog » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:18 pm

# getrektSassanach
#pógmothóin
#saesneagcacuci
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:32 pm

I heard on the radio that the FDA is moving to further relax blood donation rules for men who have sex with men. I'm having trouble with finding citation (and pretty much everything else tonight), but I heard they're finally going to try individual analysis based on questionnaires. Which feels to me like a no-brainer that we should've done a long time ago, but better late than never I guess.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 30, 2023 6:06 pm

Japanese regional court becomes the 2nd such court to rule that a lack of protections for gay marriage is unconstitutional

(As the article states, only 65% of Japanese prefectures have gay marriage laws on the books, and of course some are quite weak).

You know, I think we all understand that Japan is deeply conservative in many ways, but like, the broad support for gay marriage has been there for many years now (and hardline opposition to such rights is weaker in Japan than in many other countries which have already gotten past this point), so with even major domestic corporations pushing for federal recognition of gay marriage these days, it really is surprising they haven't just gone ahead with getting it done instead of waffling so much; at this point everyone knows its happening. It's just inertia at this point, I guess.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue May 30, 2023 8:27 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 30, 2023 8:41 pm

God, you know that's exactly how it would be too.

The next meeting room over would have a "HOW CAN WE GAY UP THE GAME SOME MORE?!" whiteboard with a number of terrible suggestions. Except the presenter bro has spelled 'gay' with an F.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Tue May 30, 2023 9:53 pm

Mongrel wrote:It's just inertia at this point, I guess.

The ruling party has deep ties to conservative religious organizations that strongly oppose it.

In this case it's primarily from a Shinto organization, but other than that, it maps fairly well onto the same talking points we get from conservative Christians in the West.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:32 am

Alejandra Caraballo (thread):
BREAKING: A court in Florida issued a preliminary injunction against the state of Florida from enforcing its ban on gender affirming care, both the board rule and SB254.

The PI is only for the plaintiff parties but it would likely preclude enforcement.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:39 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:27 pm

UPDATE: Say gay, Florida

On Monday, everything changed. Florida agreed to a settlement that establishes:

1. "The law does not apply to library books."

2. "The law does not prohibit references to LGBTQ+ persons, couples, families, or issues, including: in literature, in classroom discussion (such as student-to-student speech or teachers responding to students’ questions), in students’ academic work product or teachers’ review of the same, in teachers identifying same-sex or transgender spouses or partners."

3. "The law does not prohibit Gay-Straight Alliances, including student attendance or participation by teachers or other faculty members. The law also does not prohibit book fairs that include LGBTQ+ focused books, musicals or plays with LGBTQ+ references or characters, participation and expression by LGBTQ+ persons in other extracurricular events like school dances, or the wearing of clothing that is affiliated with LGBTQ+ persons or issues or that does not conform with one’s perceived gender identity."

4. "The law does not prohibit instruction or intervention against bullying on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity, nor does it require the removal of safe space stickers or elimination of safe space areas for the benefit of LGBTQ+ persons."

The only aspect of the law that remains is a prohibition on classroom instruction about "sexual orientation" and "gender identity." Per the terms of the settlement, an example of this would be "teaching an overview of modern gender theory." This is not something that happens very often, if at all, in K-12 education.

Critically, the Florida Department of Education is required to distribute this new guidance to every school district in Florida to ensure they understand the limits of the law.