Our Boys In Blue

hngkong

Re: Our Boys In Blue

Postby hngkong » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:27 pm

Mongrel wrote:North America also has an extremely bad habit of recruiting their police heavily from poor ex-military with no prospects, who by definitions have not only trained to be desensitized trigger-happy murder machines, but who also often have undiagnosed or untreated PTSD, depression, or other mental health issues.

When I was in the Army, there was a cop in my unit who would brag about stealing stuff from suspects, going even so far as to do street racing for money, and if we lost, he'd flash his badge and threaten to arrest them. He was well liked by everyone in the unit, whereas I was treated like a leper because I liked to read during down time.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:01 pm

listen your shithead moron highschool bullies who said the f-slur sixteen times per sentence need a place where they can get a job okay
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:41 am

LAPD open fire in a Burlington clothing store, striking and killing a 14 year old girl in a changing room through a wall

In an incident the police chief called “devastating and tragic,” an LAPD officer fatally shot a teenage girl at a Burlington clothing store during a chaotic confrontation that also left a suspect dead and another person injured.

The teenager was at the store in North Hollywood trying on dresses for a quinceañera, an LAPD source confirmed.

Preliminary information released by the Los Angeles Police Department indicated that police rounds penetrated a wall, killing the 14-year-old girl in a dressing room. Authorities said that they found a metal cable next to the suspect whom police officers were confronting but that no gun was recovered.

At the store, authorities encountered a man they said was assaulting someone, and they opened fire, according to preliminary findings by the Police Department. It was not immediately clear what prompted officers to shoot.

I was initially angry about these trigger happy murder morons killing yet another innocent bystander when using their guns for no good reason, but then I read up a bit on the girl and it turns out she smoked pot once at a friend's house, so it's fine.
ImageImageImage

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:17 pm

Meanwhile, they've released the body cam footage which shows that the idiot cop with an M16 just immediately opened fire as soon as he came around the corner with no attempt to get the suspect to surrender (and he'd stopped attacking the victim when the cops showed up, so the actual threat was over.)

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:31 pm

Friday wrote:it's also really really important to continually highlight how they are just trigger happy monsters in general who just do not give a single shit about human life and will terminate you for any or no reason and none of the language in this post

given how often police dogs are killed by the police officers they work with, it's safe to say that police have a cavalier disregard for all life

Mongrel wrote:North America also has an extremely bad habit of recruiting their police heavily from poor ex-military with no prospects, who by definitions have not only trained to be desensitized trigger-happy murder machines, but who also often have undiagnosed or untreated PTSD, depression, or other mental health issues. The reason for this completely backwards thinking is a terrifyingly simple "They already know how to handle weapons", which also highlights how fucked the recruitment process is and the entire priorities of a PD in the first place.

ex-military make great* police officers, it's true, but I feel like it really, really must be emphasized how horrible police training is to normal humans. I'm pretty sure I've pointed out before that recruits are strapped into vests that work like in Laser Tag, except the vests administer electric shocks if the recruits don't react accordingly. The scenarios they're put into during training are always the kind that encourages use of (deadly) force. They're literally being trained to think of their duties as kill-or-be-killed, establishing non-cops as potential enemies, and justifying the "snap decision" excuse that media and apologists trot out every time a cop opens fire on someone.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:50 pm

Büge wrote:ex-military make great* police officers, it's true, but I feel like it really, really must be emphasized how horrible police training is to normal humans. I'm pretty sure I've pointed out before that recruits are strapped into vests that work like in Laser Tag, except the vests administer electric shocks if the recruits don't react accordingly. The scenarios they're put into during training are always the kind that encourages use of (deadly) force. They're literally being trained to think of their duties as kill-or-be-killed, establishing non-cops as potential enemies, and justifying the "snap decision" excuse that media and apologists trot out every time a cop opens fire on someone.

I dunno about shock vests, but training for desensitization and snap reactions, and forming smaller units to install deeper loyalty to comrades (and thereby increasing defensiveness) has basically been the norm with western armies since WWII, when it was observed that few soldiers fire their weapons and fewer do any actual killing.

(the original such study was conducted by SLA Marshall for the US Army and while there are questions about his methodology and data, it's still been confirmed as more-or-less correct and verified with battle data going back as far as the 18th century)

So it's not surprising to see that training has carried over to police forces.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:59 pm

hahahahaha fucking lol

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:43 pm

so on balance pokemon go to the polls making it so cops DON'T show up is actually a win because they won't just like, round the corner and open fire before they even know whats going on, striking and killing a 14 year old girl through a wall who was trying on her quinceanera dress

so what i'm saying is please, LAPD, continue to have all your murder bros chase pokemon when they're not busy putting punisher stickers on their cars and masturbating while chanting frank castle frank castle frank castle
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:51 pm

I mean, you could also stop murdering innocent girls and worshipping a psycho murderer vigilante who somehow magically has bullets that do not travel through walls or ever even once hit much less kill someone caught in the crossfire because that would instantly and permanently destroy the entire concept of frank castle eternally, forcing all the readers to go "oh, shit, i forgot that just shooting bullets in areas where people live will, you know, hit them and kill them, shit, fuck, maybe just blindly opening fire into walls in densely populated cities is a really, really, really bad idea and it's actually super obvious that it's a really, really, really bad idea holy fuck how was I and also the writers of this shit this stupid for this long holy jesus christ i think something is wrong with humanity itself" but baby steps

I'm willing to accept "distracted by hillary dot meme" as long as it prevents you from doing your job since your job at this point, and by "at this point" I mean "since your literal fucking inception", is murdering innocent people when you're not busy beating them not to death but you know, close to death and then chortling about it later in the stationhouse
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:56 pm

wait fuck nevermind i forgot, it turned out she smoked pot once

everything is fine

i agree with blm's goals but i don't like how they're going about them, could they just protest where it wouldn't bother anyone
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:33 am

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:46 pm

Moore is indeed chief of the entire LAPD, not a section chief or anything like that. So this isn't just some uniformed chucklefuck on the hook here; it's THE uniformed chucklefuck.

François

Postby François » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:58 am

Dang, this kind of shit gives us such perfect insight into part of their mindset.

A hypothetical, idealized, and probably impossible, "good cop" would know that any authority he wields is granted to him collectively by the people of his community. He is not himself powerful, but the government and the law under which he lives are powerful, and he acts as their agent within the framework of the duties he is assigned.

But these fucking cowboys and so many others, in their minds they are inherently powerful simply because they are cops, and they still think of themselves as cops when in France. It's not a role they play in a circumscribed time and place for the greater good, it's their very identity. They do not answer to any communal authority other than the authority of other cops who are also powers in and of themselves. And this holds true to them whether they're on a trip to Marseilles or back home in LA or wherever.

One could probably make a wider point about the perils of a culture where your job and your identity are so closely bound (including but not limited to "if you don't work, you're nobody"-type notions) , but of course there are few jobs where you can murder people on a whim and still have hordes of rot-brained serfs supporting your de facto right to do so with impunity.

EDIT: ...do I always sound like I'm a big metal tank that says YALE or does it just feel like it because I haven't posted in a while? Good Lord.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:16 pm

Trust me, it's better to sound erudite than the alternative.

I guess you could instead try your best to sound like a lightsaber wielding greater werewolf tiger. I still cannot believe you won as the tiger simply by calling as much attention to yourself as possible. I actually remember people discussing in PM how the Tiger could not be you because I mean lets be real, there's no way the Tiger would buy the saber and then kill with it every day on cooldown.
ImageImageImage

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:48 pm

How's it going in the Pacific Northwest these days?

Seattle:
At a crucial moment during 2020’s racial justice protests, Seattle police exchanged a detailed series of fake radio transmissions about a nonexistent group of menacing right-wing extremists.

The radio chatter about members of the Proud Boys marching around downtown Seattle, some possibly carrying guns, and then heading to confront protesters on Capitol Hill was an improper “ruse,” or dishonest ploy, that exacerbated a volatile situation.

(This was right before CHOP/CHAZ was set up, and in fact probably helped lead to it, since the lies actually encouraged protestors to stay put and stay together.)

Kent:
Kent Mayor Dana Ralph says her administration badly underestimated the public outrage that would spring from the decision not to fire an assistant police chief who posted Nazi insignia on his office door, embraced the rank of an officer in Adolf Hitler’s murderous Schutzstaffel, or SS, and joked about the Holocaust.

(They gave him two weeks off, which he could take as paid vacation... and all the complaints on Kent's social media accounts were deleted by the city staffer in charge of those accounts: his wife.)

Portland:
A slide show designed to train officers in Portland, Ore., on methods of policing protests concluded with a message that celebrated the use of violence against demonstrators, suggesting they would end up “stitched and bandaged,” according to records released by the city on Friday. [...] The concluding slide was of a meme that mocked protesters as dirty hippies, celebrating that officers could “christen your heads with hickory, and anoint your faces with pepper spray.”

(Speaks for itself.)

François

Postby François » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:41 am

Friday wrote:Trust me, it's better to sound erudite than the alternative.

I guess you could instead try your best to sound like a lightsaber wielding greater werewolf tiger. I still cannot believe you won as the tiger simply by calling as much attention to yourself as possible. I actually remember people discussing in PM how the Tiger could not be you because I mean lets be real, there's no way the Tiger would buy the saber and then kill with it every day on cooldown.

I have no memory of ever winning as the weretiger but I choose to trust your recollection of these events because they make me sound like a real badass.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:48 am

As I said, you were the Tiger and bought the Lightsaber and just used it to murder every night until you won.

Multiple teams including the vamps, werewolves, and the seer bloc all discussed investigating you with scries to determine if you were the Tiger but dismissed the possibility. I actually probably still have the PMs on the old boards.

How's it going in the Pacific Northwest these days?

I still fail to understand how the Portland police can be, like, the polar opposite of the cities rep. But I guess Portland's rep isn't really deserved.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:36 pm

Friday wrote:Portland's rep isn't really deserved.

Sharkey has made some pretty, uh, trenchant comments about Portland on more than one occasion, yeah. I believe he once said something to the effect of it being a town where your soul goes to die.

The Seattle PD being so regressive feels more of a surprise to me than Portland's PD being shit, but then you think about it and cops on the West Coast end up looking pretty universally horrific. It's very possible that very early on, West Coast PDs morphed into as refuges for "besieged" right wing reactionaries, looking to crack hippie skulls.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:37 pm

He was the first one who sort of opened my eyes but since then I've heard a lot of people saying that basically Portland is just an awful racist shithole covered in a thin scumsheen of hipster.
ImageImageImage

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:47 pm

What do you think Portland's reputation is, anyway?