Sadly, we still need a "white guy shoots black teen" thread

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Sadly, we still need a "white guy shoots black teen" thr

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:30 pm

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/st-louis-prosecutor-says-he-knew-witnesses-lied?bftw#.flkVk202V

Ferguson prosecutor admits that he put witnesses in front of the grand jury that he knew were lying to both police and the FBI, knows that those witnesses lied under oath to the grand jury, doesn't seem particularly interested in the fact that a number of those things are, you know, quite illegal.

Golly gee whiz!

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:20 pm

And here I thought it was just the PD that should be expecting a civil suit.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:51 am

I mean I hate to defend the ratings driven media but it happened on a day 12 people got murdered in a terrorist attack.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:29 pm

We're talking about 24-hour news networks, though. There's time for more than one story in a day.

I'm inclined to agree that the Charlie Hebdo story is more important -- nobody was hurt in the NAACP bombing -- but an act of domestic terrorism that looks like it has racial motivations behind it is newsworthy and should be reported.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:38 pm

Yeah but we're also talking about 24 hour news networks. Which I, on principle, think have terrible news practices. They SHOULDN'T be covering stuff with no facts and guess work. Or as a person who I follow on twitter said during the Charlie Hebdo coverage, "Tune into cable news right now if you want to hear a person say, over and over, that they "cannot say with certainty."" So I can't really complain about how they're not covering one story when the stories they are covering they're covering in a way I disagree with. I mean I guess I can, it sucks they didn't cover it responsibility, but its my opinion that they don't cover ANYTHING responsibly, especially the stories they do cover.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:52 pm

BREAKING NEWS WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING YET HERE IS A WHITE OLD DUDE WITH OPINIONS

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:09 pm

Joxam wrote:So I can't really complain about how they're not covering one story when the stories they are covering they're covering in a way I disagree with. I mean I guess I can, it sucks they didn't cover it responsibility, but its my opinion that they don't cover ANYTHING responsibly, especially the stories they do cover.

Of course you can; they're both part of the same problem, which is that the 24-hour news networks aren't actually about the news. I'll grant it's not an original observation or complaint, but it's still a perfectly valid one to make.

(Evening news is bullshit too, but often for different reasons.)

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Thad wrote:(Evening news is bullshit too, but often for different reasons.)

"And up next, is something in the water!? We'll back back after the break with more on that."

The worst part about those kind of cliff hangers is the story is always that there isn't a god damn thing in the water and wine wont lower my cholesterol and eggs might not be as good for me as we used to think.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Sounds like the real problem here is how many people confuse network news with actual information.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Well, there are rather a lot of problems; yeah, that's one of them, but the news being operated as a for-profit business instead of a public service is the biggest IMO. When the news media are worried about (1) ratings and (2) not pissing off their sponsors, the result is not news.

There's a reason PBS and NPR are better than the networks or cable.

(And of course Stewart occupies a different position in that in his case, worrying about ratings means worrying about what's going to make his audience laugh, not what's going to scare or titillate them. And he's made it quite clear that he doesn't give a fuck about whether he offends his sponsors.

Colbert had the same thing going and Wilmore, presumably, will too. Oliver too on the "what's funny" front, but he doesn't have any sponsors at all.)

Büge

I'd say the shooting in Charleston qualifies

Postby Büge » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:11 pm

Well, they got the guy.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:25 pm

This Wired article on the short shrift given to domestic terrorism is from a few years back, but is still relevant and is being widely shared today.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:54 am

Kind of funny how everyone has automatically gone into the "random madman" vagaries even though they don't really apply.

"We might never know the real reasons for the shooting" Uh, he's ALIVE. He hasn't shot himself. You can just ASK HIM.

Hell, the newspapers have already located multiple people that have talked to him and turns out he has been quite blatant about his intentions.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:13 am

Oh, but he was a troubled loner with a drug problem and mental issues. Because he's white, so we have to look for excuses for his behavior, rather than using this as an excuse to be racist.

Good to see the new media is still doing their part to cause mass violence events - the easiest way to get the entire country (or even the world!) to hear what you have to say is to kill a bunch of people while blaming it on whatever message you want to convey, so the news blasts it to every corner of the world.

Before people start suggesting more gun control: Look at New York City. The NYPD has called in the feds because strict gun control isn't working, and they can't get gun crimes under control, even though it's almost impossible to legally possess a gun in New York City. If you aren't allowed to legally buy a gun, people will find other ways to murder each other.

Despite all of this, and despite what the news is making people believe, murder is at an all-time low in the US.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:15 am

"ATF agents have mounted a first-ever summer gun initiative to get illegal weapons off the street."

WHAT DO YOU MEAN JUST -SAYING- GUNS ARE ILLEGAL DOESN'T MAKE THEM CEASE TO EXIST?

And BTW, saying "people will find other ways to murder each other so we shouldn't even try" is horseshit. Because a strong government can just go and remove those ways, as well.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:33 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and opine that this shooting isn't (primarily) a gun control issue. It's a "South Carolina is racist as fuck" issue.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:41 am

Hey, I get it, you guys really like having guns around the house and maybe on the supermarket or other areas. That's great, I admire your passion. But don't bullshit me with this "OH IT WOULD BE SO TERRIBLE WITHOUT GUNS AROUND THE HOUSE AND MAYBE ON THE SUPERMARKET". No it wouldn't. It would be worse for -you-, because you wouldn't get to do something -you- like, and that's why you hate it.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:05 pm

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Separate issues here, guys. I think we can agree that making firearms more-illegal wouldn't stop the guy in the white supremacy T-shirt from killing important black people in a church.

Then again, maybe it would. Never underestimate the power of inconvenience as a deterrent for worthless people.