What about a thread for good news?

Grath

Re: What about a thread for good news?

Postby Grath » Fri May 13, 2022 4:04 pm

I regret to inform you that this headline should've been in Jernalism:

(thread)
tl;dr is that the study accurately says "we found a common thread in 26 cases of SIDS compared to a couple dozen healthy kid control samples, so maybe there's something there but it needs further research", then jernalists looked at that and decided it meant "the exact cause of SIDS has been definitively determined and is even totally curable."

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri May 13, 2022 6:55 pm

The word "cure" is certainly a bit extreme to throw around, I tried to temper my wording but still used it. But this is far from "jernalism".

A long-assumed likely cause was able to be tested and have markers positively identified. I can't speak on the efficacy of the sample sizes, and don't think we've ended SIDS. But even that twitter thread that for some reason feels the need to point out the the lead researcher is a WOMAN who LOST A CHILD so of course they're going to be eager for results admits that the findings represent a development that will shift SIDS-related research at this time, and also that it COULD just be this direct, the study just doesn't claim it's so simple as the article attempts to.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:35 pm

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:24 am

Maybe my standards for good news have dropped a bit recently, but:
31 members of white nationalist group arrested near Coeur d’Alene pride event
Holy shit, cops actually did their jobs, arrested a far-right militia group, and prevented a violent hate crime on the pride parade!
In Idaho of all places, the cops arrested and charged a group of violent white supremacists.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:26 pm

Regarding that. There's a relatively straightforward reason:

This apparently extends even to making rural cops slightly less open to right-wing indoctrination.

Racism and sexism, on the other hand...

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:12 pm

So I dunno how, but Schumer somehow just got Manchin to agree to a revived bill which touches on a lot of the same issues, with a commitment to maybe the biggest reduction in US emissions ever, the biggest corporate tax hike in decades, and reduced the cost of healthcare & prescription drugs by a pretty fair chunk.

Like, okay, wait until it actually passes, but whatever Schumer did, he got Manchin to completely flip on things he had been opposing for over a year and as recently as a few hours ago (at least publicly, anyway).

EDIT: Seems like they're throwing Manchin a fat bunch of money to subsidize fossil fuel refits, which is... fine actually?

EDIT2: Some particulars

EDIT3: I totally missed that Manchin pretended to kill reconciliation to secure Republican cooperation on the Semiconductor bill. What a face turn. If they actually pass this, lol, what a fucking gangster move they'll have pulled on McConnell, hahahahah

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:08 am

I'll believe it once Charlie Brown actually manages to kick the football

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:27 am

Mongrel wrote:So I dunno how, but Schumer somehow just got Manchin to agree to a revived bill

How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:38 am

Biden would never veto a bill titled The IRA. :D

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:36 pm

Mongrel wrote:So I dunno how, but Schumer somehow just got Manchin to agree to a revived bill which touches on a lot of the same issues, with a commitment to maybe the biggest reduction in US emissions ever, the biggest corporate tax hike in decades, and reduced the cost of healthcare & prescription drugs by a pretty fair chunk.

Like, okay, wait until it actually passes

It's passed the Senate.

This is a big goddamn deal. God knows it's not perfect, but it's the most significant climate bill to pass in decades, and it allows Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices, which is another thing we've been pushing for for ages.

I'll be damned. The SOBs pulled it off.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:17 pm

I saw Sinema voted for it last night after they added some pork for her (some of which is actually useful pork, even!), and that it was just procedural stuff left, so I was sure hoping to see this today.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:44 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:24 am

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:54 am

NY State Legislator passes first Right to Repair bill

It's still waiting Governor Kathy Hochul's signature, but this would be a milestone for people actually being able to own some of the things they buy
signature

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:39 pm

There are many comments that this is Mormons seeking a back door to polygamy and child brides, but I think it is fair to point out that the core established church and Romney-esque type Mormons may be in favour of weird underwear and oddball scripture, but are actually pretty firmly against that stuff, in spite of the more extreme cults still being LDS. I'm pretty willing to take this announcement at face value for now.

A friend of mine has had a theory for a couple years now that the Mormons will eventually flip on the Republicans, as they've been moving left (or at least are not in step with the right becoming more extreme). If that does happen I guess looking back this will be one of the big landmarks along that road.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:02 pm

It's worth noting that the church backed Prop 8 in California in like 2008. Also, they're a bit of a mixed bag of conservativism. I've known some perfectly nice Mormons, and I would describe them more as like mid-90s libertarians who just happen to be extremely religious. I think it helps that they're own history is one of not wanting the government to impose religion on them.
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:35 pm

Mongrel wrote:There are many comments that this is Mormons seeking a back door to polygamy and child brides, but I think it is fair to point out that the core established church and Romney-esque type Mormons may be in favour of weird underwear and oddball scripture, but are actually pretty firmly against that stuff, in spite of the more extreme cults still being LDS. I'm pretty willing to take this announcement at face value for now.

Yeah, the mainstream LDS hates the FLDS church.

A friend of mine has had a theory for a couple years now that the Mormons will eventually flip on the Republicans, as they've been moving left (or at least are not in step with the right becoming more extreme).

Maybe. Mormons and Catholics aligning with evangelicals is Leopard's Eating People's Faces shit; at least some of them are bound to realize at some point that they're next.

The Riddler wrote:It's worth noting that the church backed Prop 8 in California in like 2008.

Yeah, I think this may be a face-saving retreat, like when they reversed their ban on Black clergy. The church leadership is reactionary, but also media-savvy and extremely sensitive about their reputation; they want to keep the members they've got and recruit more, they changed course when they realized their racism was a barrier to that, and I think the reason they're changing course now is that they've realized their homophobia is a barrier to that.

As to the bill itself: it's passed the Senate. It's not great but it's realistically the best we're going to get with the filibuster still in place and the Democrats set to lose the House in six weeks. It doesn't codify same-sex marriage in all fifty states, but in the quite-possible event that the Supreme Court reverses Obergefell, it'll mean people in states that ban it can go get married in a state that allows it and both the federal government and the state they live in will have to recognize it as a valid marriage.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:39 pm

I think the main gist of the argument about the LDS flipping to the Dems is that they may tilt kind of libertarian in a lot of their views, but they're not insane in that particular way, and are also smart enough to understand that Fascism is not in fact Libertarianism (imagine that) and the former is what the GOP is now pushing.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:59 pm

uhh

UHHHHHH

UHHHHHHHHHHH

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:01 pm

Could a nurse at a religious hospital refuse to deliver a baby of an interracial marriage? Is that "Solemnization or celebration"?

...no?

I don't have Greenesmith's legal credentials, but...as far as I can tell the words "solemnization" and "celebration" both have clear legal definitions, and those definitions absolutely do not include delivering babies.

That language means that religious organizations are not required to perform same-sex or interracial marriage. Which isn't a change; it's pretty much civil rights advocates agreeing not to do a thing they already weren't going to do.