Barefoot and Pregnant

Thad

Re: Barefoot and Pregnant

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:48 pm

Brentai wrote:I suspect the biggest misconception on both sides of the issue is that abortions are somewhat uncommon. I also suspect the actual scale is going to become... much more clear to people, over the next three months.

Another contender for "biggest misconception", one which has been at the center of the abortion debate for 20 years, is that people have late-term abortions on a whim. Here's a Nitter mirror of a Twitter thread of a woman who works at a cemetery talking about late-term abortions; it's not a fun read and probably won't be new information to anybody here, but if you happen to know anybody who's fallen for the "partial-birth abortion" talking point but is still rational enough that they might be swayed by a different perspective, it might be worth bookmarking.

(I also expect the family morals people to choke a bit on their own smugness when they realize that the people they've mainly convinced to stop having sex are heterosexual, stable couples - you know, the people making decisions about their pregnancies. Gays don't give a damn, and people who are just horny and not thinking straight will continue to be horny and not thinking straight regardless of the consequences.)

I think you're ascribing an ability to observe and learn that these people simply do not have.

There are a lot of people who are ambivalent about abortion in large part because they don't have a working understanding of the facts or statistics. But the vast majority of the evangelical population that's been pushing for this for the past 50 years is not going to change their mind or admit any mistake, for any reason, ever.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:38 pm

Just one example of the innumerable ridiculous consequences we're about to see.

OP is in NC. Their doc is in SC as they're near the state line and their insurance is very limiting. SC passed a law allowing doctors to deny treatment based on personal beliefs (which is basically antithetical to practising medicine, but who cares?).

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:59 pm

harm is acceptable if it occurs as part of livestock's intended role

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:03 pm

Romo gets it.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:40 pm

Thad wrote:There are a lot of people who are ambivalent about abortion in large part because they don't have a working understanding of the facts or statistics. But the vast majority of the evangelical population that's been pushing for this for the past 50 years is not going to change their mind or admit any mistake, for any reason, ever.

Yep

As others have noted, The Cruelty Is The Point

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:09 pm

Yes, but I suspect they are not, as they say, hurting the right people.

Thad is also correct but I never expected anybody to admit that they'd just noticed that they shot themselves in the foot.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:36 pm

Well, "Not having an understanding of the facts or statistics" describes vast swathes of the right-wing Americans.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:42 pm

Mongrel wrote:First shot back from the administration.

Give SCOTUS a week, lol

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:27 pm

I'm surprised I haven't heard more bleating out of the biotech research firms about this. I would assume it sucks to invest almost, but not quite a billion dollars into developing a new patent, only to watch it get canceled out as a byproduct of some theocratical spat. Must still be making enough money off of Everywhere Else not to really care.

(On that note, it might be surprising to find out who starts pushing back if California's status as a "sanctuary state" really gets threatened. A lot of the folks writing these blanket bans get to sleep at night partially because of the knowledge that that option still exists for them and for their donors.)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:38 pm

pacobird wrote:
Mongrel wrote:First shot back from the administration.

Give SCOTUS a week, lol

Oh yeah, this was only ever useful as a (brief) stopgap.

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:04 pm

I mean, it's also just the FDA going "we're the only game in town on regulating which drugs are safe, you aren't allowed to ban them because you think they're unsafe", when most of the bans are "we're Christian fascists who never read Numbers 5:11-31 about the abortion potion that wives accused of adultery have to drink or Exodus 21:22-25 talking about how if you have an abortion the only penalty is financial compensation to the father where murder consistently means the death penalty in the rest of the bible."

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:14 pm

I'm not the biggest Pelosi fan, and I agree this is certainly an incredibly vivid example of wealthy white privilege, but at the same, I also agree that this was a totally fuckin baller move by Nancy.

(also she did it on her own dime, so that's fair)

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:55 pm

taking bets on how long before the Americans elect their own pope and split off from the rest of Catholicism
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:11 pm

Aren't most of the worst crazies evangelists though?

Like, there's stupid Catholic crazies in the US too, but they're a way smaller part of the problem, and a way smaller relative percentage of "will kill you all to satisfy my bible fanfic" nuts vs. the overall US Catholic population, as compared to nutjob evangelists vs. US protestants as a whole.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:45 pm

Man, what a girlboss. Using that money a civil servant definitely gets through legal and morall means, to privately fly out of the country for a big, visible, mass as a political move against a very small area's religious leader.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:15 pm

I mean, her salary is taxpayer money too, but again, the articles I saw earlier explicitly said she paid out of pocket for the trip. Lots of reasons to criticize her little jaunt, but comping it is not one of them.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:19 pm

Yes, her salary. That is definitely where Pelosi makes her 'trip to the Vatican for vacation' money. She could also have donated all the money that would normally go to her local church or that trip to abortion funds. But I suppose she does deserve praise for "owning" someone I have never heard or cared about by taking this trip.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:43 pm

Friday wrote:taking bets on how long before the Americans elect their own pope and split off from the rest of Catholicism

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:22 pm

America already has it's national Catholicism. Their Vatican is called Disneyland
signature

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:04 am

beatbandito wrote:Man, what a girlboss. Using that money a civil servant definitely gets through legal and morall means, to privately fly out of the country for a big, visible, mass as a political move against a very small area's religious leader.

I kinda agree with you. Especially considering how Pelosi isn't willing to use any of her actual political power to actual fight for anybody else's right to choose.
Vaguely baller move by the pope, though.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.