Barefoot and Pregnant

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Barefoot and Pregnant

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 10, 2022 1:11 am

One of the latest in a distressingly long list of "Oops nobody has thought about that particular problem!" problems that are now desperately trying to being anticipated is: How does interstate extradition work when one state seeks extradition for an act that is capital murder in the demanding state and constitutionally protected in the asylum state?

There's a lot of different possibilities, but "Dredd Scott" is increasingly looking like a very real no,-not-a-joke possibility.

Why go back 100 years when you can go back 200?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 11, 2022 12:07 am

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu May 12, 2022 3:03 am

Way to guarantee chalk scribbles in front of your house and on your fucking grave forever. Baby back bitch.

Crick

Postby Crick » Thu May 12, 2022 8:59 am

"Ma'am, could you please stop taking away our--"

"GUARDS!"

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:42 am

It's official. Roe has been overturned; abortion is no longer a federally-protected right in the US.

I've got nothing to say right now that would be helpful or comforting. Condolences, everyone.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:47 am

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:51 am

Yoji shared a memory on the Blue Sewer:
Yoji, Nov 8 2016 wrote:May the rats eat your eyes.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:25 pm

smoke* em if you got em

*rising from the holes left in supreme court justices

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:10 pm

"It can't happen here"
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:22 pm

I think if anyone I know ever says anything remotely in-line with that to me, ever again, I will suddenly reel, clutch my head, roar in agony, spontaneously develop telekinesis and rip them in half with my mind
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:02 pm

Friday wrote:"It can't happen here"

The AP story starts its second paragraph with "The ruling, unthinkable just a few years ago". It wasn't unthinkable, you absolute fucking woodchuck; lots and lots of people thought it, and said it, and have been saying it for decades, and major media outlets like the AP dismissed them as paranoid fearmongers.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:05 pm

As bad as it is to add now, I think we know an actual coup is next. Certainly an attempt at the absolute least.

Preparation for that is not optional.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:09 pm

Honestly at this point it seems like it doesn't matter if Trump wins or loses since the courts are setup that as long as he get any claim going he could elevate it high enough to let SCOTUS decide... again
signature

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:21 pm

Preparation may include forming concrete plans to leave the US.

A luxury of the privileged, to be sure, but history has shown that "staying to fight" is usually a losing gamble.

Up here we must pressure politicians to be willing to accept American refugees, as we once did during Vietnam, though they may be reluctant to do so because it "looks bad", or the concept of someone being a refugee from the USA is "unthinkable" or some other stupid nonsense.

Perhaps at some later point the US will threaten us with invasion over such a policy, but we're already a de facto client state in many ways and have always been. For the time being it would be an insulting irritant to relations, and that alone is not enough to lead to war.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:36 pm

Mongrel wrote:As bad as it is to add now, I think we know an actual coup is next. Certainly an attempt at the absolute least.

Next? Nah, there's plenty of time for other horrible shit between now and the next coup attempt.

KingRoyal wrote:Honestly at this point it seems like it doesn't matter if Trump wins or loses since the courts are setup that as long as he get any claim going he could elevate it high enough to let SCOTUS decide... again

I think this ruling demonstrates exactly why the conservative majority considers Trump as a "nice to have" but not at all necessary to their agenda.

I said in 2020 that I could see them handing Trump the election if it was close like in 2000, but not if it wasn't. That turned out to be right in 2020, but the major change since then is that Republican state legislatures have been passing laws that let them ignore votes and give their electoral votes to whoever the fuck they feel like. I expect SCOTUS to allow that as up to the states, much as they've allowed every other voter disenfranchisement tactic red states have pushed for the past 5 years.

So I think it's still highly situational and will depend on exactly how the election breaks down and which states go in which direction. I think there are still plenty of possible scenarios where Trump loses so decisively that even conservative judges don't back his attempts to overturn the result. But there are also a lot more possible scenarios where the courts hand it to him in 2024 than there were in 2020.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:41 pm

Mongrel wrote:Preparation may include forming concrete plans to leave the US.

That sounds great but most countries have a "Sure, but what can you do for us?" policy on people coming in. Got a college degree? How about references? What've you got that our folks don't already?

And god damn if the American education system hasn't guaranteed that for a ton of people the answers to those questions are a shrug emoji

source: what you think I haven't looked into that already I have a young daughter for god's sake

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:43 pm

One thing I will say is that the people talking about a Trump/DeSantis ticket are out to lunch. Trump would never allow such an obvious and direct rival as a VP. If anything he'd tell his mob to kill DeSantis (I am not kidding).

nosimpleway wrote:
Mongrel wrote:Preparation may include forming concrete plans to leave the US.

That sounds great but most countries have a "Sure, but what can you do for us?" policy on people coming in. Got a college degree? How about references? What've you got that our folks don't already?

And god damn if the American education system hasn't guaranteed that for a ton of people the answers to those questions are a shrug emoji

source: what you think I haven't looked into that already I have a young daughter for god's sake

That's why we're going to have to overturn that up here. This is by no means your task alone.

Best hope in the short term is legal rulings forcing the repeal our "safe 3rd country" agreement with the US, which stipulates the US as a "safe" country (YEAH, OKAY, SURE), though for now any such challenge may be limited to women as that's the most current legal change. We have come close to having the agreement overturned or repealed on multiple occasions, especially during Trump's Presidency, but it's still a big step from repealing that to actually accepting Americans as refugee claimants.

The political to allow it more broadly will likely only seriously come after a US coup, though with state fragmentation I expect exit passports will not be a thing for a long time in the US; historically the US has been happy to see most of its "undesirables" leave unopposed.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:18 pm

For some more concrete advice, the main pathway if you have no family ties is being present in Canada for 730 days (so exactly 2 years) in a 5-year period.

Either working or studying here for the minimum two years is the most common way.

One will generate an income for you, but is obviously harder as you must apply to a Canadian company who will in turn apply for a special work permit for you, which they must justify. This is probably what R^2 is referring to (also things like "investor class" residencies, though we've soured on those since, DUH they're an obvious avenue for rich assholes to set up a money laundering op here or w/e).

The other option is to come and study as a student. For maximum speed you would stay over during any vacation period, visa permitting, which a normal student visa allows, and if you feel up to it, a study permit implicitly grants a general work permit as well (only allowing full-time during clear breaks, like summer or Christmas). The obvious downside is that this is costly. but if you want to buy your way to Canada and you're not outright wealthy, this is the most reliable way.

That's it. There's not really a lot of secret details or technicalities to spring on you. A lot of paperwork, background & health checks, and so on, yes, but no surprise gotchas as long as you do your research.

There's also a visitor's visa which allows you to stay for 6 months, but the issue is that it explicitly requires you to demonstrate that you will go home after that period (having a job to return to, a home, etc.). For some people this is easy enough to meet (or fudge) once, but doing so four times within a five-year period would obviously come up as a flag, so I would not bother trying something like that.

If nothing else, an intermediate measure is to migrate internally within the US to a blue state. We'll be seeing a lot of this shortly, I think.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:39 pm

Preparation may include forming concrete plans to leave the US.

A luxury of the privileged, to be sure, but history has shown that "staying to fight" is usually a losing gamble.

I guess it depends on your definition of "losing".

For the individual? Absolutely, in each instance. That's probably what you meant.

In terms of actually seriously impeding the Nazis, though? The French would like a word, among others.
ImageImageImage

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:43 pm

Between this and everything else going on, it feels more and more that states like California aren't just places to live, but to make a last stand. I really don't see how anything is going to improve anywhere else in my lifetime, or even my kids lifetime for that matter.

And that feels awful. People are going to be hurt in over half the country. I have a cousin who I was really close with growing up, though she grew up into one of those "I stay out of politics" dweebs. She has also said she never ever wants to have children. So then a couple summers ago, where does she choose to move to? Oklahoma. What will she do if something happens to her?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts