Jernalism!

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 09, 2021 11:18 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat May 22, 2021 1:42 pm

The other day the AP fired Emily Wilder, ostensibly because of some nonspecific violation of their social media policy, but actually because a bunch of right-wing chuds raised a stink over her support for Palestine.

She has, predictably, been painted as an anti-semite because of her criticism of Israel. She's Jewish.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 22, 2021 2:38 pm

Was this firing before or after they had their building blown up?

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat May 22, 2021 3:58 pm

After.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 22, 2021 4:04 pm

Wonder how the MidEast bureau AP staff feel about this one...

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 24, 2021 3:30 pm

Open Letter to AP

I'll go ahead and quote the whole letter here (excluding the 3 pages of signatures), in case it disappears.

As employees of The Associated Press, at all levels and across the globe, we strongly believe in our organization’s stated commitment to fairness and advancing the power of facts. Journalists demand transparency from the subjects of our reporting and seek to hold the powerful accountable.

That’s why we strongly disapprove of the way the AP has handled the firing of Emily Wilder and its dayslong silence internally. We demand more clarity from the company about why Wilder was fired. It remains unclear — to Wilder herself as well as staff at large — how she violated the social media policy while employed by the AP.

We are also concerned about the ramifications of this decision for newsroom morale and AP’s credibility.

Wilder was a young journalist, unnecessarily harmed by the AP’s handling and announcement of its firing of her. We need to know that the AP would stand behind and provide resources to journalists who are the subject of smear campaigns and online harassment. As journalists who cover contentious subjects, we are often the target of people unhappy with scrutiny. What happens when they orchestrate a smear campaign targeting another one of us? Interest groups are celebrating their victory and turning their sights on more AP journalists. They have routinely made journalists’ identities subject to attack. Once we decide to play this game on the terms of those acting in bad faith, we can’t win.

This episode has caused the public to question the credibility of our reporting on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which does a great disservice to our courageous journalists in Gaza — who have already greatly suffered this month — and in Israel. The amount of recrimination the AP has been subjected to online and in the news media also damages our reputation with our sources and audience on all subjects. The lack of clarity on the violations of the social media policy has made AP journalists afraid to engage on social media — often critical to our jobs — in any capacity.

While firings are rarely transparent, AP chose to name Wilder publicly. The lack of communication since then about Wilder’s firing and the circumstances surrounding it gives us no confidence that any one of us couldn’t be next, sacrificed without explanation. It has left our colleagues — particularly emerging journalists — wondering how we treat our own, what culture we embrace and what values we truly espouse as a company.

We ask that you reckon with this openly and support your staff by providing the following:
  • Clarity about the disciplinary process used for Wilder, including which social media posts warranted termination and why.
  • A forum to discuss what AP deems best social media practices for its journalists. It’s important that the AP and its employees can articulate where the lines are drawn.
  • A clear commitment to and playbook for supporting staff targeted by harassment campaigns.
  • The formation of a diverse committee to update the AP’s social media policy to support evidence-based, nuanced social posting.

We hope the institution that we serve with bravery and tenacity every day will join us in charting a more equitable future.

(boldface in original)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:08 am

I really wonder how long it's been that "Six-year old throwing a tantrum" article titles have been a thing.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:03 pm

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:32 pm

The longer you look at this the dumber it gets

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:42 pm

I keep losing it when I see "cuomo prime time".

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:43 am

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:20 pm

also

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:38 pm

Büge wrote:also

It just goes on and on, it's wild.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:04 pm

I feel like we are not allowing for the very real, probable possibility that the author is in fact a person who cannot get a date because he's so incredibly pro Trump.

Or put another way: I don't think it's a coincidence at all that he's whining about this very specific thing over and over. Remember: Whenever you ascribe complicated motives to a human being, you are wrong and the actual explanation turns out to be the dumbest possible one. This is even true about your own motivations.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:08 pm

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Cohn is implying. And if he isn't, that's certainly my takeaway... well, more specifically with "college girls" in particular, because not only is he excruciatingly MAGAcel, he's just plain creepy. And is an actual college professor. [screaming]

Like, I don't think it's pushing the envelope too far to think that Kaufman should be IMMEDIATELY "CANCELLED" MUH FREE SPEECHES! fired for very probably being a legitimate danger to students.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:39 pm

It reminds me of that right-wing only dating site: all the girls on the site almost immediately started complaining that all the guys treated them like dirt.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:34 pm

lmao

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:08 am

Extracts wealth from the poor and the minorities

Whines incessantly about how put upon and absolutely vital they are and how society would collapse instantly if they were removed despite being almost entirely detrimental to said society

Lack of regulation has lead to horrible conditions, up to and including killing

Routinely breaks the law, considers themselves above it

Media worships and supports them

Constantly casts themselves as "the little guy" despite having all the power and control

Any resistance against them is considered "immoral" but any criminal action, up to and including killing by them is considered acceptable and normal
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:55 pm

wait landlords are cops?

always has been

blam

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:35 pm

Forget Dewey Defeats Truman, this is the sort of work you print on a 5' x 7' sheet, laminate, and frame to hang on your wall.

(Source was the AP, lol).