Jernalism!

mharr

Re: Jernalism!

Postby mharr » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:33 pm

Can't wear a mask for too long before it starts wearing you back. It's not like Jim Carey never warned us.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:36 am

Yoji wrote:If they were recorded yelling about secret Muslims or bragging about sexual assault, would you really defend them? Would you let them into your house? Would you even be on speaking terms with them?

My dad's currently rambling about how Ivermectin is obviously a 100% guaranteed cure for Covid but THE MAN is shutting down that info for CONTROL and then he wonders why we aren't on speaking terms.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:46 am

AP: Trump to invoke executive privilege in Jan. 6 House probe

Somehow the article is halfway down before it kinda-sorta half-assedly acknowledges that Trump doesn't actually have any grounds whatsoever to invoke executive privilege, because he is not the president.

The AP used to not suck, right? Or am I misremembering? It's been such a long time.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:22 am

This is the same AP that fired Emily Wilder to please the Zionist lobby less than a week after the IDF literally blew up their MidEast HQ, no?

As for how long, well, I suppose there have been times the AP has been accurate about things. But then again

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:46 am

There's a Rolling Stone article making the rounds about how multiple reps in the House -- and you can make a pretty good guess which ones -- helped plan the January 6 attack.

It's very easy to believe, but Rolling Stone doesn't exactly have the best track record lately. Until I see independent corroboration, I'm putting this one in the "maybe" pile.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:59 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:53 pm

My bet for Thad's next "The NYT sinks to a new low" post is when they put up an op-ed about allowing child labor again in America.
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:51 pm

The reader is expected to view 'idolized law enforcement' as a virtue, right?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:37 pm

Friday wrote:My bet for Thad's next "The NYT sinks to a new low" post is when they put up an op-ed about allowing child labor again in America.

I could almost swear they've already done that recently?

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:03 pm

It wouldn't surprise me. Nothing the NYT could possibly do would surprise me. They are absolute bottom feeding pro-fascist trash that publishes calls for the US Military to open fire on US civilians. At this point if they published an op-ed that stated that "the criminal child class is a parasite on our country and should be made to work" it would be entirely in line with their previously published op-eds.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:05 pm

By the way, I'm not joking. I give it 50/50 that I will quote the above post and this one within, say, 5 years after they do exactly what I just said. Or Thad will quote it along with his "New Low" copypasta.
ImageImageImage

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:55 pm

If you want to see them demonizing black children, they published an article in 1989 about "crack babies"
signature

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:55 pm

He is credibly credited with being actuated by lofty, unselfish patriotism. He probably does not know himself just what he wants to accomplish. The keynote of his propaganda in speaking and writing is violent anti-Semitism. His followers are nicknamed the "Hakenkreuzler." So violent are Hitler's fulminations against the Jews that a number of prominent Jewish citizens are reported to have sought safe asylums in the Bavarian highlands, easily reached by fast motor cars, whence they could hurry their women and children when forewarned of an anti-Semitic St. Bartholomew's night.

But several reliable, well-informed sources confirmed the idea that Hitler's anti-Semitism was not so genuine or violent as it sounded, and that he was merely using anti-Semitic propaganda as a bait to catch masses of followers and keep them aroused, enthusiastic, and in line for the time when his organization is perfected and sufficiently powerful to be employed effectively for political purposes.

from the New York Times, November 21, 1922

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:33 pm

How accidentally fitting for them to invoke St. Bartholomew's Day.

Not only was the parallel then drawn between the Fascists and the French attempts to exterminate the Huguenots valid, the same fervent intolerance, hunger for violence, paranoia, and misinformation are just as familiar today. You could probably take more than a few sermons from popular 16th century Catholic preachers, change only a few nouns and dates, and have a chyron read them on Fox News.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:26 am

I've definitely heard "Don't worry actually he has nothing but good and noble plans for the personality cultists he's drawn in with his violently xenophobic diatribes :)" in the last half-decade, but I'm not sure I've heard it from the NYT. Either that's a flickering emerging self-awareness or, you know, just that I don't read the NYT.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:44 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:42 pm

Look, I know it's Fox, but how is this real.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:09 pm

Honestly that is fucking amazing

I don't think I have ever laughed at a stupid 9/11 meme before but the idea of giant manta rays slamming into the world trade center while drunken Tamba Bay fans cheer them on just tickles me
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:05 am

Twitter thread by Alec Karakatsanis on the NYT's latest authoritarian fuckery:

The NYT wrote another pro-police propaganda piece that had all of the usual problems I’ve discussed before (more on that below). But the editors chose to add a headline that stated that “murders ‘doubled overnight’” in the Bronx, New York. Here’s where it gets devious.

Notice that NYT editors chose to put the “doubled overnight” in quotes. Why? It's a signal they aren’t reporting it as a verified fact, but as a quote from a source. In the article body, we learn they are quoting a former cop turned local professor. Here it gets more devious.

In the article body, it’s not “murders” that the former-cop expert is saying “doubled overnight.” He is actually claiming that police (detective) “caseloads” doubled overnight.

Let me note here that this “expert” is wrong. It isn’t true that caseloads “literally doubled overnight.” NYT didn’t quote an opposing expert, show stats, tell readers that the person they quoted was wrong (it’s verifiable with some reporting), or disclose he was a former cop.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:54 pm

Alex Thompson, Politico: "Kamala Harris has long felt that Bluetooth headphones are a security risk."

That's not a feeling, you mouthbreathing shitweasel, it's a fucking fact.

Fuck me running. This is like when they made fun of Obama for saying that you get better gas mileage if you keep air in your tires.