Jernalism!

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:41 pm

As it turns out, apparently they've been publishing a similar editorial every Christmas for a couple years now.

If they stopped, at least you could call it a Ghost of Christmases past...

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:18 pm

The belief that the miserly, greedy rich are actually the world's saviors is very important to the miserly, greedy rich. Because even the miserly, greedy rich don't want to think of themselves as bad people who are causing harm (and also collectively destroying the fucking world.)

I was talking to my friends a few months ago that they should rename them the Six Deadly Sins and the One Super Mega Ultra Very Extremely Deadly Society Ending Sin. I mean, as bad as Pride and Lust and Wrath and Sloth and Gluttony and Envy can be, they are usually limited to killing millions upon millions, tops.
ImageImageImage

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:10 pm

But the sin you're talking about is Pride.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:58 pm

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:30 pm

what the fudge happened to your art, gabe

François

Postby François » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:43 pm

I can't say I'm all that bothered that he doesn't put as much effort into caricaturing people he despises as he puts into, say, Eyrewood stuff.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:52 pm

Guess it's that time of year again: a lot of deeply stupid headlines about how so-and-so was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Those stories do not deserve your clicks. This one does: You, too, can become a Nobel Peace Prize nominee

Philip Bump wrote:As it turns out, while a Nobel Peace Prize nomination is a bit trickier than simply sending a guy in Norway a postcard with someone’s name on it, it’s not much trickier than that.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:48 am

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:27 pm

it's certainly larger than the large boulder the size of a small boulder

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:32 pm

Fox News cancels Lou Dobbs’ show; pro-Trump host not expected to be back on air

The cancellation comes a day after voting software company Smartmatic filed a $2.7 billion defamation suit against Fox News and three of its hosts — Dobbs, Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro. The company claims the hosts perpetuated lies and disinformation about Smartmatic’s role in the election, damaging its business and reputation.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:02 pm

For anyone who can't see tweets: it's comparing two summaries of the same breaking story.

Denver Post:
BREAKING: Independent investigation finds Aurora police didn't have legal basis to stop, frisk or choke Elijah McClain

NBC News:
NEW: Colorado police and paramedics who stopped and injected Elijah McClain with ketamine made a series of errors that ended in the young man's 2019 death, findings of an independent investigation reveal.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:08 pm

"a series of errors"

*Friday trips, falls, fires her gun. The bullet strikes a marble which proceeds to roll, knocking over a bucket. The bucket displaces a basketball, which rolls to a magnet that when nudged, attracts a small steel bearing that causes a --*

well the point is that at the end a large trout fell on my head and i choked him to death
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:45 pm

Not defending NBC at all here, but "Stopped him and then injected him with ketamine" isn't exactly a hum-drum line either!

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 pm

Soledad O'Brien (PDF), House hearing on "Fanning the Flames: Disinformation and Extremism in the Media":

Here are some examples of what we in the media can and should do:

• Don’t book liars or advance lies. Sure, cover the fact that lies and propaganda are being disseminated but don’t book people to lie on your show because it elevates them and presents them as another “side.”

• Get out of the office and interview people all over the country of all different backgrounds. Cable TV, in particular, infuriates Americans with elitist and tone-deaf coverage that often ignores the plight of regular people.

• Stop posing every story as having two sides when some stories have many sides and are more complicated. Take the time to unravel and report and give history and context.

• Every perspective doesn’t deserve a platform. Media thrives on the open exchange of ideas but that doesn’t mean you have to book a Neo-Nazi every time you book someone who is Jewish. Balance does not mean giving voice to liars, bigots and kooks.

• Stop saying you want a diverse staff and go hire one -- fast. A diversity of staff is not just fair, but it helps you reach into different communities and tell an accurate story of America. The public will trust you again if you tell the truth of who lives in this country and report accurately on communities.

• Make sure that reporting and anchoring staff adheres to professional standards by consistently speaking in a fair, accurate and balanced reportorial voice that is absent opinion. People who traffic in opinion should do only that and be labeled as that.

• Recognize that objectivity means having an open mind, not a lack of judgment. If you don’t call a lie a lie or racism, racism, you empower the liar or the racist.
Reject the majority rule mentality in journalism. Just because a lot of people believe something doesn’t make it real, true or reasonable.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:25 pm

yeah those are really good.

Like, really, really good. We have to hold the media to a higher standard. And I mean that on an existential level. The Media is the server of information to the masses and war is fought with information as much as it is with bombs and swords. Moreso, even.

And I mean LITERALLY hold them to a higher standard. Not just like "son i am disappointed." I mean legal accountability, and new laws to make them accountable for lies.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:51 pm

Friday wrote:I mean legal accountability, and new laws to make them accountable for lies.

The trouble with empowering the executive branch to punish the media for misinformation is, remember the guy who was in charge of it six weeks ago? And remember what his standard was for evaluating whether a particular statement was "fake news"?

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:43 pm

Yeah, I know. And the trouble with letting the news just say whatever the fuck it wants is *gestures broadly to everything*.

I'm not saying you're wrong. Giving the state more control over the news is bad. But also, letting the news say whatever the fuck it wants, lie, post fake graphs, and never be held accountable for any of it is also bad.

There must be some sort of middle ground somewhere, somehow. I refuse to believe that the only two possible futures are "the news blatantly lies to us" and "the news blatantly lies to us, but under the direct control of the government."
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:31 pm

I'm enamored of "teach people to be more media-savvy" as a solution, but it takes a very long time and it's not clear that it's working.

And the engineer in me is always wary of "teach people to be smarter" as a solution. It's a lot easier to put seatbelts and airbags in cars than to make people better drivers.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:37 pm

Teaching people to be more media savvy is the only ethical solution and would actually work... if the misinformation horse was actually driving the extremism cart in this scenario. The problem is in our culture, people don't believe that The Libs are child-devouring demons because the media TOLD them to, they believe it because they WANT to and the media ALLOWED them to. If you fixed every single news source in the universe, from the largest corporation to the smallest local rag, and made them all report the Absolute Objective Unbiased Truth, number one the human mind probably wouldn't be able to deal with it, but more importantly number two The People would inevitably spin up some sort of illegal feed called Alpha Reality or something and use THAT as justification for calling black people NPCs.

The State of Our* Media is definitely a self-aggravating symptom of our cultural disease and needs to be managed for sure, but it still is a symptom, and it can't be "fixed" in isolation of our multitude of other problems.

* Meaning the entire god damned human race; if you think this is just an American problem, go... read a newspaper.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:13 pm

It's a complicated subject, for sure.

The problem is in our culture, people don't believe that The Libs are child-devouring demons because the media TOLD them to, they believe it because they WANT to and the media ALLOWED them to.

See this? I agree with this, but I also don't agree with this.

The Media absolutely feeds into people's worst fears, and in that sense it "follows" culture. But it also CREATES fears. And in that sense it "leads" culture. You posit that if all news was Absolute Objective Unbiased Truth, that the problems would continue unabated, but I don't believe that.

The news DOES have an effect on people. Cleaning it up WOULD affect how people view reality. And no, you don't have to get to Absolute Objective Unbiased Truth to see that effect.

But you're also not wrong that even in a world where the media instantly explodes if it tells a lie that misinformation would continue to spread through illicit channels. Or that it can't be fixed in isolation. So many fucking problems are like that. But management of the symptoms isn't a waste of time, even in isolation.

Which you acknowledge here:

The State of Our* Media is definitely a self-aggravating symptom of our cultural disease and needs to be managed for sure

So I think we're pretty much on the same page.

So, what I want is what you want. But I want to pass legislation that makes it so if you lie while operating under the "news" moniker, you face very real consequences. And you both seem to not want that because you're afraid that allowing the government to determine what is and isn't true will lead to, you know, 1984. That's a very real and valid fear.

So, can't we set something up? An independent fact checking organization that is itself checked by other organizations? Checks and balances, all that? Multiple sets of redundant governmental agencies all keeping an eye on each other to root out corruption? I mean, isn't that how our government was set up to work and how it's supposed to work and still, believe it or not, kind of sort of still works to this day?

And yes, teaching people is also the silver bullet. Time and time again studies have shown that a more educated populace leads to better outcomes in all possible areas.

So I guess strike everything I just said and focus entirely on schools.

Case closed, let's get drunk.
ImageImageImage