Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:59 pm

Yep.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:05 pm

To be fair, it's not like the Catholic Church didn't do this shit everywhere. Their whole history, past and present, is blood, blood, nothing but blood.

At this point, I'm wondering what it will take to bring down the Church. Mass Child Murder and Mass Child Rape and Covering Up and Enabling the Rape doesn't seem to have swayed people much.

I still maintain that the Church got off lucky when it came out that they were raping kids and covering it up worldwide. The story was being investigated when 9/11 happened, and when it broke shortly after 9/11, I specifically remember people's reactions at the time:

"Oh, no. I just can't take it. I just don't even want to think about it. The world is so horrible right now."

I heard this (or sentiments similar) over and over again. People were so burnt out on trauma by 9/11 that they just mentally refused to process or deal with the child rapes by the Catholic Church.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:38 am

"The Heat Up There Must Destroy People's Houses With Fire And Also Kill Them."

Lytton, British Columbia, population 249, burns to the ground just one day after setting the all time Canadian heat record of 49.6 C (121.3 F).

"It's dire. The whole town is on fire," Polderman told CBC News. "It took, like, a whole 15 minutes from the first sign of smoke to, all of a sudden, there being fire everywhere."

It's still early, but 2 dead confirmed so far.

Friday wrote:Like I said before, my hometown burning down was just a preview of the megafires to come.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:41 am

Yeah, saw that. BC has had intense wildfires for decades, same as everywhere along the west coast.

Still, that's crazy fast.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:31 am

My family visited Lytton, back in 2014. We rode a cable ferry across the Fraser river, and later, we went up onto a covered walkway attached to a railroad bridge which, I don't mind telling you, was utterly terrifying. I had to restrain myself from crawling across it like Jerry O'Connell in Stand By Me. Lytton is also the place where the clear mountain waters of the Thompson river flow into the silty, sandy, grey-green Fraser river. It was fascinating to watch the two merge. And, like a lot of B.C., the surrounding area was littered with conifers, so it had a lovely, piney smell when the wind swept through.

The place was wonderful to visit, and it's awful that it's gone now.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:46 pm

to be 100 with you, Paradise was kind of a shithole.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:08 pm

A century ago, the government of Canada received a report in great detail of the conditions in Residential Schools from a very dedicated and concerned civil servant. The government, naturally, ignored it.

But for the work of modern-day indigenous researchers and historians, the record of his work (which was substantial, and included a self-published pamphlet to try and appeal to the public after the government ignored him) would have essentially been lost.

Peter Henderson Bryce, a non-Indigenous public-health physician and social reformer, exposed this “national crime” more than a century ago. Appointed chief medical officer of health for the Department of Indian Affairs (DIA) in 1904, Bryce began to make detailed submissions to deputy superintendent Duncan Campbell Scott about the conditions he observed.

His analysis could not have been clearer: The schools he investigated in 1907 and again in 1909 reported a mortality rate for children aged 4 to 18 of 40 per cent to 60 per cent, many from tuberculosis. (Although precise data on TB in children at the time was scarce, Bryce estimated that the death rate from tuberculosis among Canada’s native population was 34.7 per 1,000, or about 19 times that of the general non-Indigenous population.) A quarter of all students were known to have died by 1907, with a rate as high as 75 per cent at one school. Bryce confirmed what Indigenous parents and Christian missionaries already knew: that these institutions and the people who worked in them were directly involved in the deaths of thousands of Indigenous children. Colonial attempts to assimilate were in fact genocidal.

Bryce compiled his evidence in what came to be known as “The Bryce Report,” complete with recommendations for government action. Leaked to the media and debated in the House of Commons, Bryce’s work fell on refusing ears. Prime minister Wilfrid Laurier’s Liberal government enacted few changes. In fact, as the tragedies multiplied over the following decade, conditions deteriorated even further. The schools were poorly built, overcrowded and unsanitary; the Indigenous children malnourished, overworked and abused.

Sadly none of this is the least bit surprising. But if anyone ever needed a "smoking gun" for the finding of Residential Schools as Genocide the then-deputy superintendent of the Department of Indian Affairs provides one in this truly chilling statement:

Christian churches operated these schools for profit and their model supported the genocidal efforts of the federal government whose officials willfully ignored the conditions. As Scott wrote in 1910: “It is readily acknowledged that Indian children lose their natural resistance to illness by habitating so closely in these schools, and that they die at a much higher rate than in their villages. But this alone does not justify a change in the policy of this Department, which is being geared towards the final solution of our Indian Problem.”

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:08 pm

I always laugh when people complain about Hitler comparisons, as if Hitler was one of a kind.
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:10 pm

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:25 pm

Sadly, half the 2021 internet would look at that and assume he was referring to antifa.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:34 am

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:39 am

Well, that's the last straw

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:47 pm

damn it R^2

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:00 am

[checks news]

Wait... there's a Federal Election happening IN A MONTH???!

Wha... how... Mongrel! Were you aware of this?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:51 pm

Oh. Yeah.

Trudeau couldn't keep his dick out of the ballot box, so he called an early election to have the Liberal record on Covid "validated". Close observers have been expecting him to call one for like, six months, or whatever. Granted I think it's only about 6 months out from the mandatory date at this point, but that's still six more months we could have gone without an election nobody particularly wanted.

EDIT: Oh shit, no the fixed dates are in October, and the last one was 2019 not 2018 (look I'm sure all of us feel like that was several lifetimes ago), so this is fully two years early?! Not going to change my vote anyway 'cos I'm just gonna vote Dipper again, but like, dude, Justin, there's a very real record in Canada of formerly-popular provincial or federal governments being tossed out on their ass simply because they called an early election and enough people got mad about their obvious gaming the system.

Anyway...

What's far more interesting to me is that while Dougie's going to straight-up expel two Ontario Tory MPs who refuse to get vaccinated, The Tool is allowing federal Tory MPs to stay unvaccinated "so long as they undergo daily testing" and blah blah blah song and dance (which they will also have to pay for, but still). Oh and he's also sideways-pandering to anti-vaxxers during speeches, of course.

Speaking of Tories, Jason Kenney's program of total self-immolation that takes all of Alberta with him is not meeting the rousing cheers he and his particular fuckwits had hoped for.

If anyone hasn't heard, Alberta has gone absolutely full fucktard and lifted *all* Covid restrictions AND terminated all contact tracing, vaccination campaigns or any other related services. This also means companies can freely fire anyone for not showing up to work. So not only are there pretty large daily protests against the Alberta tories, there's also a grimly hilarious campaign whereby hundreds, if not thousands of Albertans are getting clauses inserted into their wills whereby if they die of Covid, they want their estate to join in a federal (because it includes fly-in workers from other provinces) class-action lawsuit naming Kenney as being personally liable for their death.

Rachel Notley is looking more and more like the comeback kid every day. If there's any Albertans left alive to re-elect her, what with estimates of Alberta potentially facing 4000 new daily cases within a month (it's already up at 1,100 daily).

This has been your weekly update on stupid shit happening in Canada!

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:54 pm

yeah but that's like focusing entirely on Texas right

I assume the rest of your country is doing better than Texas and Florida
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:52 pm

Friday wrote:yeah but that's like focusing entirely on Texas right

I assume the rest of your country is doing better than Texas and Florida

Yeah, but even our Texans are still Canadians, if you get what I mean. Kenney and the provincial Tories are NOT popular in Alberta right now. I don't know that that affects the federal election all that much, but Trudeau will try to invoke that at least.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:14 pm

fuckin REKT

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:37 pm

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:41 am