The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

atog

Re: The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Postby atog » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:45 pm

Just in case you're wondering if it's all police incompetence, it's not - at least on behalf of the occupiers. They seem to have plenty of police and counterterrorist training in their ranks, and it's working.
Of note here one of the coordinators of the blockades is a former bigwig with CSIS Counterterrorism Unit and a former personal security attaché to the PM.
Others in charge include veteran Army staffers, Police vets, and intelligence community retirees.
Not only that, but they seem to be on very good terms with the city and provincial forces, who are materially and logistically aiding them.

This is what a successful siege/coup looks like.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:55 pm

To clarify that, no one is expecting a coup attempt of any sort. As the article Starr linked pointed out, they're cannily avoiding *just* enough violence to ensure the cops or other authorities must instigate any more serious escalation.

atog

Postby atog » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:42 pm

Of course if case counts keep going down, in some jurisdictions the measures will be lifted as originally planned so they'll be cucking themselves if they continue fronting that proxy demand
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:52 pm

Well, they're already causing worse supply chain damage than they said could possibly result from trucker mandates.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:44 pm

Bridge blockade is reaching the point where the general public are collectively realizing this is about to cause them real trouble and real money.

Not uncoincidentally, the federal Conservatives have finally figured out how suicidal it is for them to keep voicing support for the protests, which is a shame because I'd have liked to see them ride themselves out of power for a generation or more. But there's still hope on that front as two of the biggest candidates for the tory leadership* have actually been going around the Ottawa encampments and palling around with them in person, doing photo ops, etc.

It's like everyone forgot how many votes The People's Party got in the last election (and of course Bernier is out there palling with the fake truckers as well, obviously). We're no angels up here, but that broad demographic profile hasn't changed. The Conservatives trying to court that vote was always sheer insanity.

*(they threw out the old leader last week; eating their own is another storied tory tradition)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:37 am

Even better:

I... am I... actually proud of my city?! Man, that's like the most non-Toronto sensation you could feel. WHAT DO I DO.

In actual news, looks like Ontario is getting ready to declare a provincewide state of emergency. Shit gonna get real, and goddamn... if it does, it's about damn time.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:53 am

The Bridge is STILL blocked.

A day and a half after the injunction came down.
A little over day after the increased penalties and expanded police authority under the State of Emergency became law.
A little less than a day since they brought in armoured cars and hundreds of cops.

37 million Canadians are apoplectic at the Windsor Police's complete inability to arrest about 100~ people even when backed up by additional cops from 6 adjoining jurisdictions, despite having an injunction and a state of emergency passed to allow them to do so (not that they couldn't ALREADY do that before).

At this point even racist double-standards in favour of the #Honkies and totally corrupt cops can't explain this absolute paralysis (or "stun-fucked stasis" as one observer's named it). The post-mortem on this is going to be something else. At one point the Honkies at the bridge were using children as human shields but it's not clear if they still are as the cops keep letting people come and go.

Like, we're not even talking about 100 competent people:

Seriously losing my shit waiting for literally anyone in a leadership position at ANY level of government to do LITERALLY ANYTHING USEFUL.

And of course Ottawa is still fucked. In addition to everything else, one of the encampments is now a fortified compound full of professional shit-disturbers, walled in by trucks and gated with a checkpoint(!)

Several articles have come out trying to defend Chief Sloly, saying he is trying to "hint" to the public, the media, and politicians that he needs the army to restore order in Ottawa. BITCH IF YOU NEED THE ARMY WTF IS THIS "HINT" SHIT. FUCKING ASK.

Fuck me, it's not like nazi or their stooges are made of unstable plutonium.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:36 pm

Bridge cleared but still not reopened. A couple holdouts hanging around a gas station.

Keystone Comedy opened this morning with the Windsor cops saying they arrested a guy. One guy. Good job idiots. This was where things were at around then:

A few more arrests by noon and that was all it took. 36 hours/7 days to arrest maybe a dozen idiots and tow away a couple cars. Yeah great job, only cost us 2.5 BILLION dollars and probably more in long-term damage with US now baffled that Canada is seemingly unable to keep critical trade infrastructure secure from, well, anything.

Meanwhile, in Ottawa...

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:39 pm

Mongrel wrote:Several articles have come out trying to defend Chief Sloly, saying he is trying to "hint" to the public, the media, and politicians that he needs the army to restore order in Ottawa. BITCH IF YOU NEED THE ARMY WTF IS THIS "HINT" SHIT. FUCKING ASK.

Apparently the rank-and-file have a lot of sympathy for the convoyers

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:10 pm

Yeeeeep.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:12 pm

Also, wouldn't Sloly calling in the military be an implicit admission that he effed up, which would give just about everyone else with any kind of authority (municipal, provincial or federal) a fall guy to pin everything on? Up to that point, he'd have some sort of plausible deniability (we didn't see them coming/there were too many of them/our budget is too small, etc). I'm not trying to excuse his gutless response, but it's certainly an explanation.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:59 pm

Büge wrote:Also, wouldn't Sloly calling in the military be an implicit admission that he effed up, which would give just about everyone else with any kind of authority (municipal, provincial or federal) a fall guy to pin everything on? Up to that point, he'd have some sort of plausible deniability (we didn't see them coming/there were too many of them/our budget is too small, etc). I'm not trying to excuse his gutless response, but it's certainly an explanation.

Eh, he can still waffle about "We didn't expect this, etc." when it was early on, and then say by the time they were entrenched it was too late. Right now it's been this weird shit where every time someone asks him he says "We need more cops, but some more are coming" when that's been happening continuously for 15 days now.

Pretty sure he's a skidmark after this anyway. If the viscerally-angry members of Ottawa City Council don't nail his ass to a wall, there's ordinarily-decent Ottawa residents who're just about ready to eat him alive.

This has gone so wrong, I'm not sure any one fall guy will do. A whole bunch of cop chiefs look like shit, the mayors involved look like shit (though being let down by their scumbag police forces, they're maybe the closest to being blameless), Dougie looks like shit, and Trudeau looks like shit.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:34 pm

Re: Sloly
2:11 p.m. The Ottawa Police Service has no detailed plan for how it would use the 1,600 reinforcements it is seeking and exactly how Chief Peter Sloly intends to end the protest, the Star has learned.

That’s the reason why the force has not yet received the massive extra officers, on top of the “hundreds” that it had already gotten from other outside forces, sources say.

Multiple policing and security sources whom the Star agreed not to identify because they are not authorized to speak about operations used the same explanation: “There is no plan.”

Full Article: https://www.thestar.com/politics/federa ... -them.html

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:08 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:16 pm

Problem isn't that that stuff illegal, problem is the cops not doing their jobs until it was waaaaayyyyyyyy too late (and even now, still not).

Emergency Measures Act invoked, so we're two for two on Trudeaus calling out the army, but if the cops literally won't do their jobs, I don't really see any other option. This afternoon Ottawa residents protested not the Honkies but the Ottawa cops. The cops of course made sure to show up in much stronger force than they ever did against the Honkies.

In only two weeks, the cops in this country are managing to destroy two centuries of Canadians' incredibly high deference to law enforcement, which... good.

Meanwhile, to try and salvage the "Two Trudeaus" optics, Trudeau's leaving the Emergency Measures stuff to be directed by Chrystia Freeland and honestly she's way more capable than Trudeau, so be nice to see here get a chance at full centre stage (she's probably going to be our next Prime Minister, or so I hope).

It's still a big gamble. The Emergency Measures Act is straight up Martial Law; definitely makes people nervous with good reason. Half the premiers and the Canadian Civil Liberties union are against it. Some Canadians who weren't completely awful before will be driven to sympathize with the Honkies.

But there's definitely coordinated armed groups involved. At the blocked border crossing in Alberta, they just arrested some idiots with a dozen guns, ammo, body armour, bladed weapons, etc. and that's a much smaller group than the fluctuating hundreds/thousands in Ottawa.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:19 pm

Incidentally, more details on the #RamRanchResistance fucking with the Ambassador Bridge Honkies:

Sadly, the video of the Honkies' zello channel going apeshit over the song was taken down by the OP, but man is it ever gratifying that they're actually BOTHERED by the song.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:33 pm

Oh and in TOTALLY UNRELATED NEWS, I'M SURE, someone stole a truckload of 2000 rifles on the weekend (the only saving grace being that there was no ammunition, but still).

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:39 am

i have no contribution to the topic at hand, i just enjoy that this is giving new resurgence to his being castro's son

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:14 am

The best part is that it's so incredibly trivial to disprove, because it would have required Margaret Trudeau to have somehow made a secret trip to Cuba unknown to everyone, while a public figure, four years before either she or Pierre went there.

But it just doesn't die (I mean sure, I get it, they do look a little alike). Even Fidel Castro's son Fidelito believed it!

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:53 am

Mongrel wrote:The best part is that it's so incredibly trivial to disprove, because it would have required Margaret Trudeau to have somehow made a secret trip to Cuba unknown to everyone, while a public figure, four years before either she or Pierre went there.

Yeah she, um, did.

It's so hard to disprove because it's true.