Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Thad

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Looks like McConnell's planning to ram one last wingnut Trump appointee through in the two remaining weeks he's got McSally in the Senate (because with three defections it's the only way he's got the votes to do it).

I gotta admit, I'm a little surprised by this one. I thought Shelton would be that rare Trump nominee Senate Republicans would actually balk at, seeing as how putting a Paulite on the Fed is the sort of thing that could adversely effect their personal wealth.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Grassley and Scott are in quarantine. If Collins, Romney, and Alexander are serious about opposing Shelton's nomination, then that means they don't have the votes to confirm her. And if either quarantine lasts two weeks like it's supposed to, then by the time they get back McSally is gone and they're not going to have the votes at all.

I think it's still possible that they could change the Senate rules to allow voting by proxy and then confirm her. It would require the support of at least two people who oppose Shelton's confirmation, which may make it seem like kind of a longshot, but keep in mind that centrist senators voting to allow a vote to proceed and then voting "nay" in the final vote and claiming some kind of moral high ground is a thing that happens all the fucking time. (I know he's been out of office for eight years, but it's never a bad time to say fuck you, Joe Lieberman.)

Course, whether they actually want to stick their neck out like that to confirm Shelton? That I don't know. I still get the impression that a lot of Senate Republicans don't really want Shelton on the Fed, but this is a way of kissing Trump's ass and currying favor with him prior to the Georgia runoffs. It seems like this way, they can say "Look, we did everything we could, it's not our fault, go yell at Romney some more" and avoid Trump's wrath and also avoid doing something as bad for business as putting Shelton on the Federal Reserve.

(If I were more conspiratorially-minded I might suggest that that was the plan all along and Grassley isn't really sick. But I'ma Hanlon's Razor this and say that nah, the most plausible explanation is that yet more assholes who don't take COVID-19 seriously got COVID-19.)

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:43 pm

Probably not quite the right thread, but has anyone else been wondering what Trump is up to now? Considering every social media platform has banned him, his phone is effectively a brick. So is he just watching TV and lawyering up for impeachm-

Oh crap, I forgot I heard he's hiring Orly Taitz as an attorney for his impeachment trial. Remember her? The crackpot birther from my fair Orange County CA?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm

Orly Taitz is a local dentist. Her office used to be right across the street, but then she was bought out by a pair of not-crazies from New York and San Francisco. How the fuck she ever got on or remained on the California State Bar is anybody's guess. I don't think she's ever filed a single suit that didn't end up dismissed before trial.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:12 pm

[attempts to post an "O RLY?" reaction image but is fatally shot by a sniper on a nearby rooftop]

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:16 pm

Yoji wrote:Probably not quite the right thread, but has anyone else been wondering what Trump is up to now? Considering every social media platform has banned him, his phone is effectively a brick.

Mild curiosity yes, but it's been such a relief for him to just not be relevant anymore.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:31 am

Büge wrote:[attempts to post an "O RLY?" reaction image but is fatally shot by a sniper on a nearby rooftop]

[watches Büge crumple and slowly puts the same meme image back in his pocket]

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:16 am

I get that people don't want Trump getting news coverage and all that, and it's absolutely good that he's banned from media so he can't incite shit anymore.

And also I get just wanting to talk about or hear from him anymore. Relief, etc.

All that being said, I still want to know what he's up to. For the same reason I want to know what any enemy is up to.
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:57 am

He's making public noises about starting an independent MAGA party now, which... That's great isn't it? Now the old school GOP have to help prosecute the fucker or he's going to split their vote down the middle for the rest of time. It's a narrow path to thread, but there might even be timelines where a meaningful left wing party exists in America.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:39 am

I mean after I run for and win President of Space and install the laser satellites that kill anyone who starts a post or comment with "Am I the only one" you better believe I'm also going to be starting a left wing party here in America

but mostly the laser satellites to kill those people
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:48 pm

Am I the only one who hasn't been vaporized by a space laser here or what

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:18 am

Why did y'all have to go and tempt fate?

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:37 am

Grath wrote:Why did y'all have to go and tempt fate?

Because we live in actual hell?

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:51 am

Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:52 am

Like, isn't having a staff for this kind of management a normal thing? Granted, I don't think we've ever had a president with such a PR nightmare after leaving office.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:52 am

At least it says former president and isn't some kind of shitty president-in-exile garbage.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:32 pm

McDohl wrote:At least it says former president and isn't some kind of shitty president-in-exile garbage.

Yet.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.