Friday

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby Friday » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:35 am

Stop. My penis can only get so erect.gif
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:45 pm

Bannon "joked" about embezzling money from Build the Wall and buying a yacht with it on camera, on purpose.

You know, I'm beginning to suspect Trump does not actually hire the best people.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:54 am

Thad wrote:(Also, any ad by the Lincoln Project exists pretty much for the primary purpose of trolling Trump, and the secondary purpose of George Conway and everybody else involved positioning themselves as Reasonable Moderates who never liked Trump anyway and trying to gain political leverage with both parties in the event of a Biden victory.

Meanwhile, Kellyanne is an opportunist who's prepared to land on her feet no matter how the election goes down -- if Trump wins, she's still one of the president's most ardent defenders and most trusted advisors; if he loses, I think it's reasonable to expect a tell-all book six months later where she swears she was on George's side all along and did her best to use her influence with Trump to try to push him in a more moderate direction, while also constantly leaking behind-the-scenes details to the press.)

George is leaving the Lincoln Project and Kellyanne is leaving the Trump Administration, so I take back that part about how she'll still be a Trump advisor if he wins. But I still think the rest of that is probably pretty close even if they're stepping away for now.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:38 pm

Literally the only reason their doing any of that is their daughter threatening emancipation legal action against her parents for being POS.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Hadn't heard that (the article mentions she'd been complaining about them on social media but not threatening emancipation proceedings) but checks out.

Meanwhile: New York Sues Trump Organization, Eric Trump, Filing Shows

The filing is sealed so we don't know the details.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:21 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:04 pm

"Remember, Miami Cubans gave me the highly honored Bay of Pigs Award for all I have done for our great Cuban Population!"

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:31 pm

Not really apropos of anything, but this seems like the best place.

I was wondering the other day: What happens when Trump dies? Like, not wondering about the how or the why, but what comes next? That asshole is many things, but he's not immortal.

So much of the Right has become built around one man, the RNC didn't even have an official platform this time beyond "whatever Trump says." I don't have the time or energy to cite examples, but it's pretty clear his supporters will go with whatever he says, too. Just top-to-bottom Trump.

So what happens when he's gone?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:33 pm

a huge orange cloud rises from his corpse, looks to the west, but out of the west comes a cold wind, and the cloud is blown away and fades
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:59 pm

Yoji wrote:Not really apropos of anything, but this seems like the best place.

I was wondering the other day: What happens when Trump dies? Like, not wondering about the how or the why, but what comes next? That asshole is many things, but he's not immortal.

So much of the Right has become built around one man, the RNC didn't even have an official platform this time beyond "whatever Trump says." I don't have the time or energy to cite examples, but it's pretty clear his supporters will go with whatever he says, too. Just top-to-bottom Trump.

So what happens when he's gone?

I don't think he's popular enough to get the kind of mythologizing that Reagan does (I don't know how many states Trump wins in November, but I'ma go out on a limb and say "not 49"). I still suspect that he's eventually going to be subject to the same kind of we-never-liked-that-guy-anyway blowback that Bush was. His hardcore supporters will never go away, but I suspect that a lot of the 55% of Republicans who didn't support him in the 2016 primary but support him now are going to go back to saying they don't support him.

Still, his influence will linger; we're going to see more QAnon whackjobs run for office, we're going to see at least a few candidates running in '24 on the same kind of hateful platform he did. (I don't expect a Trumpist candidate gets the nomination in '24 if Trump loses in '20. Trump got the nom in '16 based on a series of factors that are hard to duplicate, including his universal name recognition and the free press he got.) There are going to be Trumpists in the government for at least a generation.

And when Trump dies, I'm sure they'll insist that whatever their agenda is, it's his agenda.

François

Postby François » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:09 pm

Trump is an icon of America's cruelty and greed. He'll still be that after he dies. He himself is a hollow shell, he doesn't need to be alive to be a focal point for those who love the evil he represents and see themselves in him. He has no surprises left and he is not a complicated person, you know exactly how he's going to respond to anything, and the disease that created his cult will keep using his memory to its abominable ends.

I'd be real surprised if anyone kept paying attention to his kids, though. I mean, they're not going away for sure, but I'm thinking D-tier Fox News commentators maybe.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:27 pm

The serous answer is that Trump is a symptom of the disease and not the disease.

And I mean that in the literal way, not the idiom way most people mean it.

When most people say that, they mean "The symptom doesn't matter. We have to attack the root cause."

What I mean is "Trump is a horrible bleeding sore and is openly infecting others and making life a living hell of pain and misery. We need to first close the wound, then treat the underlying condition."

So when he's gone/dead, things will get better, marginally, but the disease will still be there. Unless cured, it will eventually open another horrible bleeding sore.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Yeah, this is basically the discussion from before the '16 election. If you and four other guys sit down at a table and there's three votes not to eat you, you haven't solved your problem by winning that vote.

Well, except that in our timeline's case, those two other guys managed to get the waiter to change the order and now we're on the menu anyway.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:01 pm

The Republican Party at this point is a diseased husk, kept alive only by the electoral college.

Destroy it and you destroy them.
ImageImageImage

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 am

I mean, you might hamper their current political power and form, but that doesn't make all the guys with unlicensed Punisher bumper stickers go away. Without addressing the culture problem they'll just reorganize and come back in some other more nakedly grotesque format, then cast Black Hole and nullify all your buffs.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:04 pm

So, where were you when you heard the US was performing mass hysterectomies on detained immigrants?

I probably shouldn't be bringing up every atrocity the screaming pumpkin demon commits, but I'm pretty much alone right now and I'm shaking.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Frankly I've just been assuming there's already mass graves.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:37 am

Albeit these are the crisis that was mishandled by Trump (... and Cuomo/de Blasio having a dick-measuring contest that Cuomo somehow ended up winning and then being hailed as a hero...) rather than the nazi genocide he's supporting, but yes, there are already mass graves because of Trump.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:33 pm

There may be mass graves but I'm pretty sure that's a photo of Hart Island in the Bronx, which is a potter's field and predates Trump by several decades.
signature