Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Worthy Causes

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:52 am

:thad:

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:19 pm

Mongrel wrote:To be fair, I wasn't looking at that post at all seeing as how it was nearly a year ago.

Which perhaps means this thread could use more posts ("Not by you, Mongrel!" *laughtrack*).

You ... you quoted it, though.

You didn't look at the post you quote-replied to?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 am

TA wrote:
Mongrel wrote:To be fair, I wasn't looking at that post at all seeing as how it was nearly a year ago.

Which perhaps means this thread could use more posts ("Not by you, Mongrel!" *laughtrack*).

You ... you quoted it, though.

You didn't look at the post you quote-replied to?

No?

Look again. I only quoted Thad's post from 2 days ago.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:41 pm

So, remember Florida's Amendment 4? It restored voting rights to felons who completed their sentences and probation (excluding convicted murderers and felony sex offenders).

Or it was supposed to. Unsurprisingly, the Florida GOP has done what it can to sabotage the amendment; they've passed a law saying felons must pay fines and court fees before they're eligible to vote. The Florida Supreme Court has upheld the requirement.

The Florida Rights Restoration Coalition, the organization which sponsored Amendment 4, has a fund to help pay fines and fees for people who can't afford to pay their own.

Aside from this being a good cause simply on its own ethical merits, it's also worth keeping in mind that Trump won Florida by 113,000 votes, and Amendment 4 restored voting rights to 1.4 million people.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:54 pm

Yeah, Amendment 4 is a big fucking deal. Like, a "this could easily be the difference between another 4 years of Trump or not" kind of deal.
ImageImageImage

François

Postby François » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:44 pm

It's a sign of the times that I'm a chronically ill Canadian on welfare and I regularly ask myself if maybe an American needs some of my money more than I do.

Today I'm looking closer to home, though. Any fellow northfolk wanting to support the Wet'suwet'en people could do worse than sending cash this way: Unist'ot'en legal fund

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:07 pm

Good call. Done.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:54 pm

I got mail from UNICEF, the ADL, the Sierra Club, and the ACLU asking me to renew memberships I'd forgotten about. I wonder if I should.

-I forget what made me donate to UNICEF in the first place. Some vague feeling that they were a big enough name to support?
-Gave to ADL because they work against antisemitism, which seems to be in vogue these days.
-Sierra Club because someone has to speak for the trees and my wife gives to them too. That and they... offer neat swag. I could use a new backpack and wow hey look at that
-The ACLU of all things has me thinking twice. I guess I'm still mad about Charlottesville.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:24 pm

If you donated anything to Puerto Rican hurricane relief it probably went through UNICEF.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:38 am

I'd drop the ADL. They spend an awful lot of their time crusading against anti-zionism and calling BDS antisemitic.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:35 am

Yeah, that's about how I feel about it.

I thought of kicking some money toward the ADL, on the premise that you know, they've got their issues, but right now we're all on the same side -- but ultimately I decided there are better places to put my money. The ADL does some good work, but I find their "criticizing Israel is antisemitic" stance to be pretty overpowering.

I think there are other organizations that fight antisemitism that are easier to get behind. The SPLC isn't perfect -- I'm pretty unhappy about their decision to settle with Maajid Nawaz -- but I'm much more comfortable supporting them than the ADL.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:11 pm

I need to find a good organization for trans rights in Thailand. I forget what the context was, but someone on Twitter brought up kathoey/"ladyboys" and how the situation for them is pretty shitty, and I guess that reminded me that human rights in that whole neighborhood in the world is shitty in general.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:18 pm

I don't know if other states have similar programs, but here in Arizona there are certain organizations you can donate to and get a dollar-for-dollar tax credit (not just a writeoff; if I donate $400 to a qualifying organization, then that's $400 less I have to pay in taxes).

And while tax day has been pushed back to July, the deadline to donate for the tax credit is still April 15. So now would be a good time for everybody to check and see if their state has similar incentives and, if so, if the deadline is still next week.

(FWIW I'm planning on donating to UMOM, a charity for women's shelters, and Hope & A Future, a foster care organization.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed May 04, 2022 1:03 pm

Abortion donation links. Thread/Nitter mirror

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:48 am