Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:32 am

Yeah, that was an awesome explanation.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:21 pm

Obv some of you may have seen this already, since it's immediately gone *everywhere*.

Right now, GOP assholes are falling all over themselves to holler "DECORUM" (invoking Winston "Hitler has only got one nut" Churchill of all people, lmao), but if there's a time and a place for a public official to just throw down and call someone a motherfucker, I'm pretty sure that "laughing at dead kids", is it. The public gut check on this one is "Fuck yeah." and if the GOP wants to remind everyone just how fucking ignorant and callous they can be, well damn boyos! Have at it!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:42 pm

Sweet sweet salty turtleman tears.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:10 pm

If candidate quality had anything to do with the outcome Mitch McConnell would have been bodily hurled into the sun rather than returned to Congress years ago

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:21 pm

"Quality" is a codeword here, of course.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:16 pm

I'm not seeing a good primary source just yet, but it appears Sarah Palin has lost her House bid.

So Democrats are, what, 5 for 5 in special elections since Dobbs now? Still not enough to be statistically significant (especially since this was a ranked-choice election and therefore not necessarily representative of most contests in most states), but, y'know, a pattern's definitely beginning to emerge here.

Crick

Postby Crick » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:56 pm

Is AP good enough?

I feel I've been burned enough that I dare not hope for a swing back to dems.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:36 am

Thad wrote:So Democrats are, what, 5 for 5 in special elections since Dobbs now? Still not enough to be statistically significant (especially since this was a ranked-choice election and therefore not necessarily representative of most contests in most states), but, y'know, a pattern's definitely beginning to emerge here.

Yeah, definitely optimistic that the GOP shot themselves in the foot, though in Alaska's case it's important to remember that overall the state probably didn't want someone who quit after one year of their first job to go on a book tour and become a nobody on Fox News
signature

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:11 am

This photo is legit some Renaissance-grade composition.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:56 pm

Dr. Oz Stood in Front of One of Hitler's Cars at a Fundraiser and Had Jordan Peterson Call In

...so Dr. Oz has just been a Sacha Baron Cohen character this whole time, right? That's the simplest explanation.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:20 pm

There's something about the way these RW clowns all inevitably turn up hanging around with each other that's very familiar that I can't quite put my finger on. It even crosses international borders, like the way Putin complains about people being woke or Republicans chumming around with Orban.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:13 pm

Texas sheriff certifies the Martha's Vineyard migrants are crime victims, opening the door for special visas

A Texas sheriff has certified that the nearly 50 migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis were victims of a crime. That certification is a key step in qualifying them for a special visa they would not have otherwise been eligible for.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:29 pm

Good!

Noticed this too
Salazar's office has identified suspects in their investigation but isn't currently releasing names publicly. The sheriff opened a criminal investigation into DeSantis’ actions last month, the first law enforcement authority to do so. The federal Treasury Department has also begun an investigation of whether DeSantis improperly used federal COVID-19 relief funds to pay for the flights.

This first bit probably won't go anywhere, but the second might. Doubt either will unseat DeSantis, but stealing relief funds tends to be a bad look even for Trumpists.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:03 pm

better image:

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:24 am

Crick

Postby Crick » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:20 am

Almost a Dark Souls villain.

Young Boozer, Desiccated Treasurer

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:29 pm

So, we still don't know the final results but I think we know enough to conclude that it's a mixed bag, Democrats did about as well as the polls said they would, which is a huge overperformance compared to what pundits were predicting and what would have been consistent with historical trends for years where we had high inflation and a Democratic president polling around 41% but weren't coming off a coup attempt and Roe being overturned.

It's nothing close to the best-case scenario, but it's not nearly as bad as it could have been, either. It's a decent sign for Democratic chances in '24, in part because Republicans don't have as big an advantage in spending the next two years rigging the next election as they might have.

Mainly at this point what I'm looking forward to is Ruben Gallego declaring his candidacy for Sinema's seat.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:18 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing what The Great Pennsylvania Lummox does in the chamber. He was certainly a good pickup.

Also a bunch of abortion-rights ballots initiatives passed across several states, though obviously those were in already pro-choice states to begin with (I didn't see any mentions of similar ballot initiatives in red states, but if I missed one, hey, good news).

Crick

Postby Crick » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:45 pm

Of course, my state chose to elect all the worst people, including a Malthusian dinosaur on his 4,000th term.

Gotta make like all the smart people and leave.