The Democrats Will Also Shit Themselves.

Metal Slime

Re: The Democrats Will Also Shit Themselves.

Postby Metal Slime » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:56 pm

Dems decided to put Beto up again but this time in the race for governor in Texas. So yeah, they learned nothing and just threw that race in the trash.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:11 pm

...he got more than 90% of the vote. I'm sure support from the Democratic Party establishment helped, but I'm reasonably confident he could have won the primary without it.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:25 pm

He's currently the biggest name in Texas Democratic politics. He's come the closest to beating a Republican Senator in over 2 decades. He got creamed in the presidential primary because he mistook Texas campaigning for national ability, even as nobody asked him to.

That said, he's still going to lose.
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:47 pm

KingRoyal wrote:He's currently the biggest name in Texas Democratic politics.

Yeah, I think people underestimate just how much primaries come down to name recognition. The current Republican frontrunner in Arizona is a lady who used to be on TV. And the guy polling in second is coasting on name recognition from being the nominee twenty years ago.

He's come the closest to beating a Republican Senator in over 2 decades. He got creamed in the presidential primary because he mistook Texas campaigning for national ability, even as nobody asked him to.

That and, of the various candidates running on the "bland, middle-of-the-road white guy from a red state" platform in 2020, the one from Indiana had a natural advantage in Iowa.

That said, he's still going to lose.

Almost certainly. But -- and granted, I know a lot less about Texas politics than you do -- I can't think of another Democrat who'd do any better.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:47 pm

Democratic politicians and pundits are writing off the concerns of young voters and there's an excellent chance it's going to fuck them in November. Obviously I'm not surprised by this, because I haven't spent every moment the Democrats have held power in my lifetime in a coma, but it'd sure be nice if they'd get over this "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" strategy.

Even given that older voters turn out in greater numbers (which, y'know, might not be the case anymore if the Democrats would make it easier for people to vote, but a certain contingent of the party believes it's more important to protect the filibuster), you'd think it might occur to them that young people are hugely important as campaign volunteers and if they don't have the enthusiasm to knock on doors and make phone calls then that affects every demographic's turnout.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:00 pm

Young people are poor.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:10 pm

Yeah, but they're the ones calling up people with money to ask them to donate.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:12 pm

This all reminds me of how the Student Loan thing seems to be really wild from an internal Dem point of view.

I've seen so many different polls and arguments from people who seem respectable and intelligent as to whether forgiveness would actually 1) earn meaningful votes, and 2) more votes than it would lose (including from bare-faced envy and bitterness), and 3) if the apparent "kick it down the road forever" strategy would actually be more workable in the short and medium terms.

The calculus is just all over the place, and I've seen both stupid and very compelling arguments for all three.

Obviously it's the RIGHT thing to do, but what's moral and what the Dems will do often have very little overlap...

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Thu May 05, 2022 7:13 pm

Meanwhile, a sizable portion of the centrist Democrat establishment has decided to finally bring the knives out and go after the real villains and cause of the current Supreme Court abortion war...progressives and leftists??

Yeah guys, gonna really encourage the actual left to vote blue no matter who by suddenly devolving into assholes where now I actually have to look at what party you're with because I usually associate that kind of talk and wording with a Republican saying it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 05, 2022 7:30 pm

I'm seeing so many enraged people on both sides of the "You need to vote, people." versus "We voted like hell for decades and look where that got us, so fuck you." arguments and honestly both takes are kind of right (and also wrong, but y'know), so I have absolutely no idea how that's going to pan out.

The Dems still suck donkey anus at messaging though. Goddamn. How is anyone THIS BAD at this for THIS LONG.

"They will force your daughter carry her rapist's baby." "If you have any number of complications during pregnancy, they will let you die." "The Republicans are coming for every woman and child in the country." "If you're not a straight white male, they are coming for your rights. They are coming for you."

THOSE AREN'T EVEN HYPERBOLE. IT'S NOT COMPLICATED. FUCK.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Thu May 05, 2022 7:35 pm

Because they need to be that bad in order to fundraise. I've gotten more fucking cold calls from democrats asking for money in the past week than I have in my entire adult life up to this point.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 05, 2022 7:51 pm

On the plus side, watching Megan McArdle essentially liveblogging her hour by hour journey through various stages of denial has been pretty funny. :V

Imagine I found a .gif of a cross-section of a building showing some cartoon character smashing through floor after floor to punctuate this.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 15, 2022 9:35 pm

I don't even know what to say about the fact that it increasingly appears that Biden is the MOST mentally-competent Dem in this administration.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:14 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:16 am

I really despise the establishment democratic party.

I don't have a joke.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:36 pm

Someone needs the shit slapped out of them for this, what the fuck.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:03 pm

It worked well for them with Trump. Four easy years of fundraising with nothing more than a vague hashtag.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:55 pm

The official explanation is that "it's easier to win general elections against MAGA chuds"

My personal belief is "the more evil my opponent, the easier my fundraising"

Which does also mean campaigning is easier, but my explicit belief is that the money is the real end goal, and the only reason they campaign is to keep up the necessary appearances so nobody turns off the money faucet
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:23 am

A strategy of funding opponents to make them worse is invariably immoral, dangerous, and unbelievably fucking stupid.

Plans like that invariably make Cobra Commander look prudent and ethical.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:28 am

They've been doing it for over a decade.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.