Election 2018

Yoji

Re: Election 2018

Postby Yoji » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:09 am

I forget, was it Georgia that was judged to have unconstitutionally gerrymandered districts that they had to roll with anyway? Or was it one of the Carolinas? It's a little hard to keep all the ratfuckery straight.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:57 am

Look, I know it's a shit no-effort meme joke, but I laughed:

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:18 pm

State senator among several arrested in election protest at state Capitol
ATLANTA - Several people, including a state senator, have been arrested after a protest broke out inside the state Capitol Tuesday over this year’s election.

The General Assembly was in the middle of a special session called by the governor to approve federal funding for damage caused by Hurricane Michael when protesters started gathering in the Capitol rotunda.

Protesters started yelling, "No justice, no peace," and carried signs that said "count every vote."

Elliot watched as Capitol police arrested Georgia state Sen. Nikema Williams, District 39. She was arrested for allegedly failing to disperse.

"I'm being arrested because I refused to leave the floor of a body I serve in. I'm a state senator. I was not yelling. I was not chanting. I stood peacefully next to my constituents because they wanted their voices to be heard, and now I'm being arrested," Williams said.

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 pm

In my head while reading that quote I was just thinking "90% she's black", then I clicked through and yup

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:06 am

Bal wrote:In my head while reading that quote I was just thinking "90% she's black", then I clicked through and yup

Same.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:05 am

I'm only 50% joking that I'm amazed she's still alive.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:48 am

mharr wrote:I'm only 50% joking that I'm amazed she's still alive.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:37 am

AZ Secretary of State hasn't been officially called yet, but Hobbs is up by a significant enough margin that Ducey has called to congratulate her.

Say, Trump. You like doing the opposite of everything Obama did, right? Well, Obama gave a cabinet post to our Democratic governor when we had a Republican Sec State, and I hear you're looking for a new DHS secretary...

At any rate, I've never seen Democrats do this well in statewide elections. Senator, SoS, and Superintendent; they lost Governor, AG, and Mine Inspector; Corporation Commission was a wash (one Democrat, one Republican).

I think incumbency probably played a big role in the Governor and AG races (and, for that matter, the SoS and Superintendent races, where the incumbent in both cases was so unpopular that she lost her primary -- so even though the lame ducks weren't on the ballot in those races, it's not as if voters had forgotten about them). But from what I heard of the gubernatorial debates, Ducey just did a better job there than Garcia ("better" here meaning playing to the standard Republican talking points, "my opponent will raise your taxes and open the borders," and staying on-message, while doing a decent enough job playing defense on his weakness, education funding, to shore it up).

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:36 am

I would just like to take a moment to say that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's bare-knuckled, two-fisted style of dealing with assholes is endearing me to her like few politicians in recent memory.

Incidentally, it's a better confirmation in my mind of real working-class street-fighter cred than any mere biographical boilerplate could do.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Lady's got a tongue as sharp as a Roosevelt's on her.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:28 pm

oh look they found the election fraud

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:29 pm

<fmm> [Billboard]: We pay CASH for your UNSEALED ABSENTEE BALLOTS!
<UberMex> WE BUY UGLY BALLOTS

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:10 am

The fucked up thing is (I mean, aside from the obvious), now this validates the rationale for anti-ballot harvesting laws.

The vast majority of ballot "harvesters" are church groups who help ensure that lower-income, mostly-minority voters are able to get their ballots in. Accusations that this was being used for voter fraud were much the same as other accusations of voter fraud: an excuse to keep minorities from voting.

On top of everything else that's disgusting about this, it gives people something to point at and say that laws banning ballot-harvesting were right all along.

It's gotten downright cliche to point out that Republican accusations are always projection -- but damn it, it's true. The reason Republicans were so quick to point to ballot harvesting as a vector for voter fraud is that that's what they would do.