The Antisocial Network

mharr

Re: The Antisocial Network

Postby mharr » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:39 am

Well won't this be fun!

Time to resurrect the old Usenet system?

JD

Postby JD » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:36 pm

A big reason USENET failed was that it was so vulnerable to spam, in the same way that email is. Centralized web forums are moderatable.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:55 pm

Why be moderate?

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:37 pm

JD wrote:A big reason USENET failed was that it was so vulnerable to spam, in the same way that email is.

I'd say that, more broadly, Usenet failed because it was archaic and couldn't keep up with changing technology. There were (and are) moderated newsgroups, but the moderation mechanism, like basically every change in how people use Usenet over the course of the past 30 years, is an awkward kludge bolted onto a system that wasn't designed for it.

I'd say lack of discoverability and the difficulty of including images and formatted text in your posts were at least as significant a set of factors in Usenet's decline as kludgey or nonexistent moderation.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:24 am

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:07 pm

Oh that reminds me, NFT Hex avatars are going live on Twitter today.

So you can see at a glance who's an easy target.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:43 am

I kind of want to dip my toes back into Twitter, or Facebook, or Reddit. Just to kind of poke around and see what it's like with fewer of those REAL AMERICAN PATRIOTS SECOND AMENDMENT PRO-LIFE MAGA MAGA MAGA accounts around after hackers have pulled apart Russian tech infrastructure in response to the Ukraine invasion.

I'm not gonna, but I'm curious.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:45 am

No! Don't! Resist! Your life is infinitely better without it
signature

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:00 pm

KingRoyal wrote:Your life is infinitely better without it

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:38 pm

Runnnn

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:42 pm

Meanwhile...

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:41 pm

A follow-up to the glib comment above with some hard data and some really interesting points about how Russia is and isn't involved with troll farms (not nearly so much as they used to - they moved on to higher-quality military-grade trolling, which isn't actually a joke).

Of course it's no one answer. Some of it is a switch by Russian misinformation teams to work on Ukraine, but some of it is the fact that Russia, or at least domestic Russian servers, aren't the majority source of the misinformation seeding (obviously there's many players in that game). Some of it is methodology changes, new hashtags meant to attract the same crowd ("denazification" is a new one), and other factors.

But the isolation of Russia in specific ways, along with the very sudden shits in messaging, allows researchers to get more information about the sources and propagation of misinformation, even if it hasn't really reduced in volume. Not entirely unlike the way the air travel ban after 9/11 allowed atmospheric researchers to take measurements they never would have otherwise managed to.

EDIT: For an example of what the Russians are concentrating on now:

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:55 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:08 am

hahahaha this is brilliant

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:01 pm

On the subject mentioned in the Buttcoin thread, where the NFT hype is basically "FOMO all the way down". We have this gem today.

Is the metaverse the future of the internet? A Globe journalist steps inside to find out

The headline is one thing, but the contents are way beyond even that. Occasionally sad, occasionally angering, but mostly just laughably absurd.

My entry point was Decentraland, a digital world that launched in February, 2020, that can be accessed through a desktop computer. It had about 50,000 daily active users as of earlier this year and its own cryptocurrency with a market cap of US$3.5-billion. Companies ranging from General Motors Co. to Estée Lauder Cos. Inc. have experimented with advertising installations, Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. unveiled a store of sorts, and JPMorgan built a lounge where you can admire a pixelated portrait of CEO Jamie Dimon.

One afternoon, I took a tour with Andrew Kiguel, co-founder and CEO of a Toronto-based company called Tokens.com. Among other things, it has a subsidiary called the Metaverse Group that buys virtual land, builds on it and leases space to firms looking to plant a flag. So far, the company has bought parcels in 10 different realms and values its portfolio in the eight-figure range.

In Decentraland, Mr. Kiguel appeared as a bearded figurine in a checkered shirt and an eye patch. He chose the name Milo, after his dog. We walked through a neighbourhood called Crypto Valley, where the company had assembled a tower that looked like something out of a 1950s sci-fi movie. It was lit by spotlights, with the word “Tokens.com” rotating in the night sky.

“We may eventually sell the naming rights,” Mr. Kiguel remarked. I noticed that next door someone had built a marketplace to peddle erotic anime NFTs. “You can’t choose your neighbours,” Mr. Kiguel said, “but we also have Binance.” Indeed, the crypto exchange had a building across the road.

(it's not paywalled for me, but LMK if it is for any of you and I'll pull the full text)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:50 pm

The 'Metaverse' is just such a complete fucking faceplant, and lordy is it ever gratifying to watch.

'dire straits' shit, fucking lmaoooo

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:29 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:38 pm

fucking lmaoooo

EDIT: Oh it goes on and on in that thread hahahahaha

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:14 pm

EDIT: Ah fuck they got unbanned, not a good news post any more. Fuck off Fuckerberg.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:54 pm

Mongrel wrote:
EDIT: Ah fuck they got unbanned, not a good news post any more. Fuck off Fuckerberg.

From what I gather they're still banned, it was just a false alarm because the page doesn't get removed when that happens, but they can't post anything to it