Mongrel

Re: Election 2020 - Here we go again

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:29 pm

Wait, I thought he'd decided not to?

Ahahahahahaha, magnificent.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:27 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1933_German_federal_election wrote:To ensure a Nazi majority in the vote, Nazi organisations also "monitored" the vote process. In Prussia, 50,000 members of the SS, SA and Der Stahlhelm were ordered to monitor the votes as so-called deputy sheriffs or auxiliary police (Hilfspolizei) in another decree by acting Interior Minister Hermann Göring.

hoo boy

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:14 pm

Trump campaign fails to show evidence of vote-by-mail fraud, filing reveals

But of course it's not about winning in court; it's about spreading FUD and undermining confidence in the election.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:47 pm

More Than 550,000 Primary Absentee Ballots Rejected In 2020, Far Outpacing 2016

Election experts said first-time absentee voters are much more likely to make the kinds of mistakes that lead to rejected ballots. Studies also show that voters of color and young voters are more likely than others to have their ballots not count.

Most absentee or mail-in ballots are rejected because required signatures are missing or don't match the one on record, or because the ballot arrives too late.

If you're voting by mail for the first time this year, make sure you follow the directions carefully and get your ballot in early. I don't know if it's possible to request what signature they have on-file for you, but it might be worth checking whether it matches your current one.

I did have trouble with my signature once; it was after the summer I spent working as a store clerk, and signing my name a few dozen times a day resulted in my signature becoming quicker and scratchier. I got a letter notifying me that my signature didn't match the one they had on file and my ballot had been accepted provisionally; I filled out a form to confirm the new signature was mine and they counted my ballot. But that might not be how it works in your locale.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:10 pm

Party platforms are largely symbolic anyway, but as far as symbols go, "We're not going to bother with a platform, just say we support whatever Trump does and throw a '40s-era white supremacist slogan in there while we're at it" isn't just beyond satire, it's taken satire behind the woodshed, murdered it, and is now actively violating its corpse.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:14 pm

Traditionally, party platforms are used to formally lay out the party and candidate’s ideas, beliefs and goals.

Well there's your problem.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:11 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Couple Arizona links:

County Election Officials Contact Information -- includes links to the different county websites on where you can drop off your mail-in ballot

And the local page for Maricopa County polling places. There's nothing there yet; we're still two months out and, y'know, still in the midst of a pandemic, so I expect they're still hammering out the details.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:30 am

Federal judge orders Georgia to extend deadline for residents to return absentee ballots

The state intends to appeal, and this doesn't appear to set any precedent anywhere other than Georgia AFAICT. But expect a lot more suits in a lot more states and a lot of confusion. And don't expect to know the outcome of the election on Election Day.

I'm in favor of accepting ballots postmarked on Election Day but still recommend everybody get their ballots in early, because we don't know what's going to happen, what kind of ineptitude and foul play could mess this up.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:42 pm

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Good to know that their plan is still "literally do nothing" instead of trying to actually appeal to the base of people who want things like legalized marijuana, universal healthcare, school loan forgiveness...

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:27 am

Drudge reports that Trump had to be taken to the hospital after a series of mini-strokes; nobody else paid any attention to the story until Trump started denying it on Twitter, and now it's getting major coverage.

The news cycle being what it is, this may well be one of those things that everybody's forgotten about by next week -- but there's also the possibility that Trump can't shut the fuck up about it and keeps bringing it up. There's also the possibility that he has lasting symptoms he can't hide and that attracts more attention, but I wouldn't count on that; people have largely ignored his sniffling and slurred speech.

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:32 pm

Thad wrote:people have largely ignored his sniffling and slurred speech.

... and his dragging right foot, and his adult diapers, and his giant drawer full of sudafed in his office...

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:41 pm

Imagine an election campaign where both candidates drop dead or are indefinitely incapacitated before the election.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:42 pm

Grath wrote:
Thad wrote:people have largely ignored his sniffling and slurred speech.

... and his dragging right foot, and his adult diapers, and his giant drawer full of sudafed in his office...

I don't know what you guys are talking about. He can name five everyday objects! He's perfectly fine!

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:15 pm

"very" "fine" "people" "both" "sides"
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:10 am

Solid thread. Some decent stuff in the conversation.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:39 pm

Biden's campaign strategy has consistently been to appeal to Moderates and Republicans. He's assuming that progressives/youth will vote for him no matter how bad he gets, because the alternative is worse.

Moderates and Republicans want to see the rioters condemned. Progressives understand that they are a symptom of the disease, and that the condemnation should be directed at the people and institutions that create the disease and allow it to flourish. Moderates and Republicans either don't know about the disease because they're entitled/ignorant, or know about it but don't care because they're hateful and corrupt.

Is Biden's strategy """"correct"""" in that it will gather him more votes assuming his assumption that we the progressives will vote for him anyway is correct? Possibly. But it's absolutely incorrect in that it will gloss over or even turn a blind eye to the problems that CREATE the riots. In the long term, we don't need someone who can be popular and win and then continue things as they are/were in 2012. We need someone who will change things. And not in small, barely effective or token ways that do not actually alleviate the very real life and death problems facing our people, and the absolutely insane death toll AND POSSIBLE END OF OUR CIVILIZATION AS WE KNOW IT that is coming due to climate change if nothing or not enough is done.

Is Biden secretly just pretending to be a fascist who condemns the rioters while ignoring the root causes, and once he's elected will throw off his moderate, pro-status quo cape and reveal himself to be a progressive radical who immediately begins talking about and pushing legislation for climate change, complete police reform and restructuring, racism as an institutionalized reality in America, arresting and prosecuting Trump and his cronies for crimes against humanity and treason, worker's rights, unions, rent control, public housing, mass transportation, the value of science and experts, raising taxes, aggressive reforms in corporate law to end the ability for corporations to simply pay fines while continuing misdeeds because the misdeeds save them more money than the fines cost them (hint: jail time for management works better than increasing fines), healing the many, many deregulations that Trump has enabled, health care, social security benefits, and etc?

It's possible. Some people have pointed to his website in which some of these issues (and more, there are a lot more) are addressed.

Let's assume Biden has been pushed to the left a whole lot by Sanders and is now a progressive, and he's only pretending to be a fascist in order to trick white Moderates and Republicans into voting for him because "Trump is tacky and gross."

Only actually, let's not assume that because it's absurd.

So let's instead assume he's pro-police and anti-rioter and that it's actually the black person's fault things are bad because they won't stop burning shit down and if they'd just go home and be a good little boy the real adult white men could try to help them with their police problem but haven't you noticed if you don't misbehave the police don't bother you?
ImageImageImage

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:45 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:01 pm

That's the one everyone points to, but Biden's entire career is pretty much nothing but that. Oh and he's chosen a VP candidate who's basically of the same mind.

So I actually couldn't blame anyone for assuming the latter.

The reason I would say not to assume anything is simply because he's not really a functioning human anymore for all but short, tightly-controlled stretches of the day.

EDIT: I like that the board truncates that URL to the "Violent Cement Act"