Adventures of the Longest Muskrat

Mazian

Re: The Continuing (Mis)adventures of Car Notch

Postby Mazian » Sat May 21, 2022 1:43 pm

Crick wrote:I think was 740, yeah. I had mentioned it earlier, but there were rumors he was thinking about selling SpaceX shares or something to try and compensate. At this point just take the billion penalty, geez.

An interesting wrinkle is that the buyout contract does not seem to leave a lot of outs, so potentially (and there is definitely some armchair lawyering here), Twitter could demand specific performance, and force Musk to complete the buyout at the offered price, 42% above its current market value. Or at least use the threat to extract an even higher breakup fee; everyone would be tied up in grinding litigation for years if they went that route.

(Side note: the only time Tesla stock has gone up in recent weeks is when Musk first announced the deal was on hold.)

Those sort of contact terms are a little uncommon, and I'm not surprised Twitter's lawyers took one look at Musk and negotiated them in there, though it is surprising that the other side agreed. But then, since Musk is now hiring lawyers from Twitter, maybe he just ran the proposal past r/legaladvice and called it a day.

Crick

Postby Crick » Sat May 21, 2022 2:52 pm

Musk is a notorious micromanager, I wouldn't be surprised if he took little to no advice from whatever legal team he has. Could've just negotiated broad strokes and called it good. Now that the snare's tightened, he's trying his dumbass tricks like "woah, sounds like there are mostly bots, better crowdsource the investigation".

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 23, 2022 12:32 am

Financial Times (reposted on Ars) says Twitter deal leaves Elon Musk with no easy way out.

It's one of those articles that dresses up "we don't know what's going to happen" in a lot of extra words -- basically they conclude that there's a chance Twitter will let Musk out for under a billion just to avoid litigation, but there's also a chance he'll end up being forced to buy it for the agreed-upon $44bn after wasting money trying to wriggle out of it -- but the consensus at least seems to be that he's not getting out of this without having to pay more money than any of us will ever make in our entire lives.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 27, 2022 3:22 pm

Crick

Postby Crick » Fri May 27, 2022 3:50 pm

Now, if it were me, I would've been happy staying home with my morbid amounts of wealth, keeping quiet, taking up a hobby, not absolutely wrecking everything on an impulse decision, but if this is what you want to do Elon, you know, I guess that's up to you.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri May 27, 2022 3:54 pm

I always delight in Elon getting sued but in this case I don't think they have a case because they were in free fall when he announced the buy and the price shot way up before everyone realized it was not gonna happen. When we say Musk buying it was a stupid move, it's because Twitter is a money sink and always will be.
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat May 28, 2022 12:41 am

KingRoyal wrote:

I always delight in Elon getting sued but in this case I don't think they have a case because they were in free fall when he announced the buy and the price shot way up before everyone realized it was not gonna happen. When we say Musk buying it was a stupid move, it's because Twitter is a money sink and always will be.

I don't think that artificially inflating a stock and then artificially deflating it is one of those things where they cancel each other out. Legally speaking.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sat May 28, 2022 1:13 am

Thad wrote:I don't think that artificially inflating a stock and then artificially deflating it is one of those things where they cancel each other out. Legally speaking.

Right, I'm pretty sure you'd be on the hook for stealing a car, even if you returned it in the same condition you stole it. You're still demonstrating patterns of misbehavior that need to be corrected in you and discouraged in everyone else.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 28, 2022 1:56 am

Yoji wrote:
Thad wrote:I don't think that artificially inflating a stock and then artificially deflating it is one of those things where they cancel each other out. Legally speaking.

Right, I'm pretty sure you'd be on the hook for stealing a car, even if you returned it in the same condition you stole it. You're still demonstrating patterns of misbehavior that need to be corrected in you and discouraged in everyone else.

Or giving someone a car and then stealing it back from them!

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Sat May 28, 2022 4:10 pm

It's still a stretch to say Musk's actions are why Twitter stock is failing, though. The stock has been in steady free fall for a year
signature

JD

Postby JD » Sat May 28, 2022 6:24 pm

At this point I feel like the nickname Car Notch is unfair to actual Notch

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat May 28, 2022 7:17 pm

Also Not-Car Notch is still being an insufferable toolbag, he's just not relevant enough to get attention from anyone anymore.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 28, 2022 7:19 pm

JD wrote:At this point I feel like the nickname Car Notch is unfair to actual Notch

Notch is a nasty whinging sad sack, but yes, this point was made months ago and it's truer than ever.

I think Sharkey had a great burn on Muskie a few weeks/months back that made me think of this thread, but damned if I can remember it.

I almost want to just call him a bored ape (I mean, really!), but I get that would be a bit confusing WRT to the bitcoin thread.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 28, 2022 8:11 pm

Couldn't turn up a damn thing for nicknames, but this was a pretty good find.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sat May 28, 2022 10:22 pm

JD wrote:At this point I feel like the nickname Car Notch is unfair to actual Notch

Thread title updated.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Büge

Re: Adventures of the Longest Muskrat

Postby Büge » Mon May 30, 2022 5:50 pm

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon May 30, 2022 8:52 pm

[Originally started with Elongated Muskrat posting a screenshot of the Harddrive article but with the attribution cropped off]

Crick

Postby Crick » Mon May 30, 2022 10:40 pm

He deleted the thread, hahaha

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 30, 2022 10:56 pm

Crick wrote:He deleted the thread, hahaha

OH NICE.

Mongrel