Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: The Continuing (Mis)adventures of Car Notch

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:50 pm

He sold his company to Microsoft.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:59 am

Also, Elongated Muskrat is Car Notch because they're both absolute irredeemable shitstains, not because Notch is greedy.

Postby Newbie » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:30 am

Seconding Grath here. One of Zara's most famous tweets was basically "I can't believe Hatsune Miku invented Minecraft" and this resonated with folks because of how many "wrong side of history" opinions that dude kept insisting on sharing. They're both utter losers who happen to be rich, and that's about as much thought as we should spare on them.
tiny text

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:40 am

Newbie wrote:because of how many "wrong side of history" opinions that dude kept insisting on sharing.

Speaking of, is there a general "Oh no" topic for reporting on those, because Dabchick puppeteer Barnaby Dixon just went mask off, aggressively platforming a transphobia activist and gay conversion therapist, then doubling down with a followup video ridiculing criticism.

Actually has there ever been a one man puppet show entertainer that wasn't sketchy af?

Annnd I just learned that my homeland is known in the community as TERF Island, which... Yeah, fair enough. :/

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:56 am

Newbie wrote:One of Zara's most famous tweets was basically "I can't believe Hatsune Miku invented Mine craft"

If I remember correctly it was "wow dad, I love minecraft, who made it?" "no one, son. It came from space."

And then "it came from space" was added to the main menu rng quotes.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:31 am

mharr wrote:Speaking of, is there a general "Oh no" topic for reporting on those,

I generally stick those in the hot takes thread.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:05 pm

He's finally doing it! Elon's going for THE scam we've all been waiting for.

I'm hoping that watching people fall for this one is not only going to be one hell of a ride, but an object lesson for the public as to why these sorts of claims are utter nonsense.

Barring major MAJOR advances in both neuroscience AND computing (and even then a copy is just a copy), but lol even so.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:53 am

What are you talking about, Mongrel? That's not important anymore. This week is all about the robots based off the prototype of "dude in a spandex suit dancing" that will be much more important for TESLA than any of those new models that were promised years ago and never delivered.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:52 pm

Totalled Recall

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:19 pm

Mongrel wrote:I'm hoping that watching people fall for this one is not only going to be one hell of a ride, but an object lesson for the public as to why these sorts of claims are utter nonsense.

It's extremely frustrating that it's being touted as some kind of hip new techbro tech. It COULD be a massive quality-of-life boon to disabled folks. Unfortunately, what's more likely, though, is that it's going to become a white elephant that will chill interest and funding for neural interface technology because NOBODY will want to fund similar projects after the inevitably fatal Musk brain-circuit boondoggle.

it'll be similar to what happened to miniaturized blood testing. No one wants to follow an act like Theranos.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:31 pm

It's Elon Musk pitching Future Tech to his investors so they'll turn the money fountain on
signature

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:06 pm

At this point Elon Musk is to emerging technologies what Lu Bu was to would-be emperors.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:16 pm

KingRoyal wrote:It's Elon Musk pitching Future Tech to his investors so they'll turn the money fountain on

If someone's throwing money at Elon Musk, "investor" probably isn't the right word.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:04 pm

No I think it's 100% correct
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:22 pm

Büge wrote:
Mongrel wrote:I'm hoping that watching people fall for this one is not only going to be one hell of a ride, but an object lesson for the public as to why these sorts of claims are utter nonsense.

It's extremely frustrating that it's being touted as some kind of hip new techbro tech. It COULD be a massive quality-of-life boon to disabled folks. Unfortunately, what's more likely, though, is that it's going to become a white elephant that will chill interest and funding for neural interface technology because NOBODY will want to fund similar projects after the inevitably fatal Musk brain-circuit boondoggle.

it'll be similar to what happened to miniaturized blood testing. No one wants to follow an act like Theranos.

It's also the plot of the final episode of Silicon Valley. They realize they've inadvertently created a paperclip-maximizing AI that's going to crack all encrypted communications so that it can compress them more efficiently, and that in order to stop this they don't just have to cancel the project, they have to make it fail in such a spectacular way that nobody else will attempt it.

atog

Postby atog » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:54 pm

Brentai wrote:At this point Elon Musk is to emerging technologies what Lu Bu was to would-be emperors.

Horsemanship?
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:59 pm

Shit, I'd hate to think Muskie couldn't be blocked.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:45 am

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:30 pm

I hate to be not a dick to Musk but normal car companies do shit like this all the time. The Challenger I owned for a decade had no top bar on the doors so the glass set into the frame of the car. When you opened the door the window had to lower itself automatically about a quarter of an inch or the glass wouldn't pass the gasket to open the door. Basically every day during winter I would have to take a credit card and run it between the glass and gasket to break the window free to open the doors.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:35 pm

I seriously wonder what it is about car manufacturers where their engineers wake up one day and think, "You know that thing that's been working successfully for years? What if broke it on the next model?"
signature