"Coronavirus" is the category, dangit. (COVID-19 thread)

Upthorn

Re: "Coronavirus" is the category, dangit. (COVID-19 thread)

Postby Upthorn » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:04 am

New variant of interest: B.1.621 "Mu". First known appearance this January in Colombia.
Potentially out-spreading Delta and Delta+ in Florida (~10% of new cases in Florida are now Mu)

Too early to tell for sure, but also looks like it may be better at evading the immune response than Delta (meaning vaccines are less effective.)

Not certain how severe it is relative to delta and original strain, but it killed 7 fully vaccinated people in a nursing home in Belgium.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:52 pm

Joe Rogan caught the rona.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:27 am

ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:45 am

It's like you had that post ready in the chamber.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:42 am

Do we know if he was vax --

Joe Rogan, the mega-popular podcast host who has suggested that young, fit people don't need to get the COVID-19 vaccine, has announced he tested positive for the virus, but is feeling fine thanks to a cocktail of unproven medical treatments.

Joe Rogan Says He Has COVID-19 And Has Taken The Drug Ivermectin

oh okay.

So at this point I will order my list of preferred outcomes.

1. He gets really sick and feels horrible. The experience causes him to begin preaching to wear a mask and get vaxxed.

2. He dies.

3. Neither 1 or 2, which is what will occur.

And no, I'm not apologizing for 2. I want to convert sources of murderous misinformation to sources of life saving correct information, but failing that, destroying them is the next best thing. If you have a platform and you're telling people to not get vaxxed, you are murdering people as directly as direct can get without guns.

Please note that the key part of this is "if you have a platform." I don't want the rank and file brainwashed dead, because them being dead doesn't serve any purpose/save any lives.
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:33 am

every rich anti-vaxxer is vaxxed don't kid yourself

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:54 am

Today I went to the fancier grocery store and they had a big sign about how masks are required as of last month. All the other shoppers and half the employees walked in while I was there without masks, past the maskless cop who's job it is to stand in the entry way and stare at people to make them feel uncomfortable. And I realized I'm past the point of "I don't want anyone to get sick, I want this to end, that's why I want you to wear a mask" and I am fully in "please die as soon as possible so I don't have to be around you anymore".

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:57 am

That guy was a fun uncle back when he was hanging out with privileged acid head progressives like Trussell. I guess dropping the second half and going full privilege is just too profitable to resist.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:44 am

It should be known that he took horse medicine, but he's also on a cocktail of real and good drugs given to him by a real doctor.

If he's fine, he'll just say it was the horse paste. Or at the very least say you can't prove it wasn't the horse paste.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:18 am

Should I even ask where the fuck this idea of treating a viral infection using an insect parasite medicine for farm animals came from?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:53 am

Paper published last November said it helped. It's since been redacted because nobody could replicate the results.

But that's enough for the "anything but science" crowd.

I would suspect that somewhere along the line is a pharmeceutical company that produces the stuff with the ear of a prominent right-wing media figure, who could helpfully pass along that there was a lot of money to be made with this totally legit, see here's the scientific paper right here, treatment.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:22 am

From what I heard, the horse paste contains an ingredient that an overseas doctor tried to use to cure covid, there was a paper about it, but it was largely forgotten as people tried to use HCQ. That has been so hard to comeby, quacks have resorted to suggesting this other medicine. Now THAT'S hard to find, people found put this horse dewormer is sold in farm supply stores and at vets.

So now people are shitting worms out in Walmart and going blind because of horse paste. To... own the libs? I guess?

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:36 am

remember when Nike or whatever the fuck it was (I don't even remember) came out and said something lefty so the right started burning their own property and we were like "haha wouldn't it be funny if something made them like shoot themselves to own the libs"

well
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:56 am

So classic antivax science then. They only trust the findings that never change.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:09 pm

It's not just a random thing. A pro-Trump group of affiliated doctors called America's Frontline Doctors has been promoting Ivermectin for months, and they've been doing it almost exclusively to make money off of anti-vax people

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:47 pm

First off: Ivermectin IS approved for use as an anti-parasite medicine for humans too, because it's a neurotoxin that has a safe dose that will reliably kill parasites but won't cross the brain-blood barrier and cause neurological damage. People are just buying the horse paste because you don't need a prescription for horse paste, so it's cheaper and more accessible than getting a shady online doctor to write a prescription for ivermectin.

So,
A) Countries that haven't been able to get vaccines have been trying anything, and Ivermectin has sometimes worked, but the countries that can't secure a supply of vaccines also tend to have more trouble with humans having parasites and the Ivermectin may just be preventing deaths from "covid + parasites" by dealing with the "+ parasites" part of it.
2) Someone tried Ivermectin in a petri dish, and found that 50-100x the safe dose for humans could kill 50% of Covid in a petri dish (... but so does a handgun, and that dose of Ivermectin is large enough that a healthy adult would likely get the neurotoxin effects, never mind an adult with rampant inflammation from Covid.)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:36 pm

Lottel wrote:It should be known that he took horse medicine, but he's also on a cocktail of real and good drugs given to him by a real doctor.

If he's fine, he'll just say it was the horse paste. Or at the very least say you can't prove it wasn't the horse paste.

Yeah, he's on monoclonal antibodies. Fucking shitbird's allegedly feeling better already.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:30 pm

atog

Postby atog » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:10 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Paper published last November said it helped. It's since been redacted because nobody could replicate the results.

But that's enough for the "anything but science" crowd.

I would suspect that somewhere along the line is a pharmeceutical company that produces the stuff with the ear of a prominent right-wing media figure, who could helpfully pass along that there was a lot of money to be made with this totally legit, see here's the scientific paper right here, treatment.

The "big ivermectin study" generating nearly all the interest in horse paste was not only flawed, but outright fraud. Some paragraphs were simply copy-pasted from other journal articles. Many patient records were copy-pasted and renamed with a new name generator, i.e. totally made up to force the data. Many other test subject records are suspect af because the cohort started to shrink right away from untreated COVID-19, then somehow the numbers rebounded, with no satisfactory explanation as to why more patients completed the study than were originally enrolled.

Total creative writing hackjob.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:00 pm

my brother has quit his job of like twenty years and is now trying to fraud his way into getting on disability rather than get the vaccine

how y'all doin