"Coronavirus" is the category, dangit. (COVID-19 thread)

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: "Coronavirus" is the category, dangit. (COVID-19 thread)

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 19, 2022 9:29 pm

I'm surprised they haven't been there for a while. I thought numbers had been going up for weeks now.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Thu May 19, 2022 9:48 pm

They have been, even though the CDC has updated its guidance and collecting protocols in ways that understate both the actual numbers, and the severity of any given number.

If we were at current numbers two months ago, CDCs highest restriction levels would be recommended for 97% of the country, instead of the current 7%.

And also, if we were at current infection rates two months ago, the numbers would have been higher than they are right now.

This guidance would make sense if re-infections were rare-to-impossible, rather than the "commonplace" that hard evidence seems to indicate. They would also make sense if a first infection of covid guaranteed that future re-infections were always mild. As opposed to the reality where a first infection of covid can leave you with risk-factors making a second or third infection more likely to kill you. Or if death were the only possible negative outcome of covid, where in reality it seems there's somewhere a 5 and 15% chance that even an asymptomatic case can result in long-term disability.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:49 pm

Antivaxxers just came up with a new term: "Sudden Adult Death Syndrome"

OKAY GUYS, RIGHTO.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:18 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:27 pm

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:46 pm

Omicron-based vaccine boosters are now available in the US for all people 12 and above!

CVS and Walgreens are confirmed to be taking appointments for them through their online systems.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:55 pm

I thought that wasn't going to be approved until Septoh god dammit how is this September it's 107 degrees out.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:18 pm

Might be a good idea to wait a couple days before you schedule an appointment, though. Or at least make sure you check with a pharmacist who's actually in the pharmacy to see if they have it.

I called the local CVS to see if they had it; the number didn't put me through to the local CVS, it put me through to the national number. The lady on the other line assured me that yes my local CVS has the new booster in stock, the one that was approved today and targets the omicron variants. I scheduled an appointment, got there, and they did not in fact have that one. When I told the pharmacist that FYI I called your number and they told me you had it (y'know, not to be rude, it's not her fault, just to let her know that's a thing that's happening) she said it's possible that it's already showing up in the inventory system because it's in shipping. But yeah, don't assume they have it in stock based on the word of someone in a call center.

She said they might have it tomorrow and should by Sunday.

My wife and I got flu shots, though, so at least it wasn't a total waste of a trip.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:31 pm

If you're in the USA, the Feds are restarting free test kit distribution next Monday. Move fast, since we're probably also looking at a government shutdown a week later.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:50 pm

Should be a new booster this fall too, or so the news keeps saying over and over.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:55 am

The new booster was approved last week. Should be trickling into pharmacies about now.

Not sure how it works up your way.

Postby Newbie » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:06 am

We were scheduled to get the booster on Friday at CVS since we're going to a meetup next month. CVS sent a text saying that the supply has been delayed and rescheduled us for the Saturday after next.
tiny text

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:57 am

Thad wrote:The new booster was approved last week. Should be trickling into pharmacies about now.

Not sure how it works up your way.

I got mine on Monday. My arm is still sore and I'm not sleeping super great, but it's better than Covid for sure.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:49 pm

Got mine at a local Walgreens on Monday.

I did see one lady who was informed that "her insurance doesn't cover the covid booster" and thus she had to pay $100. They then said she could "see if she could get it reimbursed." Just seemed like a notable thing, I had assumed most insurances covered the covid booster at this point.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:06 pm

Mothra wrote:Got mine at a local Walgreens on Monday.

I did see one lady who was informed that "her insurance doesn't cover the covid booster" and thus she had to pay $100. They then said she could "see if she could get it reimbursed." Just seemed like a notable thing, I had assumed most insurances covered the covid booster at this point.

It's supposed to be! But retail pharmacies are charging people, most often with medicare, and basically daring people to challenge them.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:26 pm

patbaer @ cohost wrote:Bookmark the webpage in case your pharmacist hasn't heard and tries to charge you
American friends: do you (like me) not currently have health insurance, or does your insurance not cover vaccines? CDC is paying until December of next year at places like CVS and Wallgreens. It's called the Bridge Access Program https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/bridge/index.html Get your new booster!

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:12 pm

Mothra wrote:Got mine at a local Walgreens on Monday.

My mom and I attempted to get our's at a local CVS on Monday; my insurance company just paid for it. Her insurance company didn't have the new vaccine in their system yet, so it got denied on Monday and wouldn't go through until yesterday, at which point the next available appointment wasn't until this coming Saturday morning.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:04 am

The CDC has issued a warning based on its wastewater monitoring that the US is currently well into the second highest surge of the entire pandemic. The expectation is it will peak in the next week, after potentially hitting as high as 2 million(!) infections per day, with current estimates being that at peak over 100 million(!!!) Americans will be infected by next week.

Note the dates on the data, which is in some cases pre-holiday.

Not trying to be alarmist, but this info might get buried in the news, since today is the day the Epstein flight logs are coming out. Please do mask up and stay indoors and away from public areas as much as you can for the next little while (of course I know some of you already do that anyway).