The Crazy Years, UK edition - Adventures of the 52nd(?) State

mharr

The Crazy Years, UK edition - Adventures of the 52nd(?) State

Postby mharr » Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 am

Time to move this off the COVID thread, I think. The citizen journalism being prompted is too good not to post though.

Russ with his excellent "This Week in Tory" sums things up better than I could attempt to:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1265 ... 77160.html

It has at least been nice to see that our generally craven and corrupt tabloid press do in fact have a limit.

Büge

Re: The Crazy Years, UK edition. At least America has some company now.

Postby Büge » Thu May 28, 2020 10:32 am

and then there's this asshole

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu May 28, 2020 11:47 am

These Lips are Sealed.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu May 28, 2020 6:52 pm

hahahahaha

oh man that was fucking fantastic
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat May 30, 2020 6:03 am

The Moving to Scotland guy is another fine source of non-bullshit op-eds.

Also he's an SF author apparently, so he's going in the bucket with Doctorow, Stross and Banks I guess.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun May 31, 2020 6:24 am

Büge wrote:and then there's this asshole

He is so not alone.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 31, 2020 4:09 pm

A friend of mine was telling me a story passed along from someone who lives in Durham not far from Barnard Castle.

Apparently the local lord once hid in the castle instead of going out to battle and thus the phrase "a bit of Barney Castle" became local lingo describing "a shitty excuse", which is Just Perfect.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:48 pm

Annnd today we're fucking over the student nurses that risked their lives and careers to step up to the health crisis, because of course we are.

Jeremy Hunt probably isn't a new name to many readers, but he knows damn well this is 100% in character for his government and has done a huge amount during his career to make it this way.

JD

Postby JD » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:19 am

Apparently the UK government is using Brexit legislation to allow them to pass new laws without a vote in parliament.

Legal experts are finding the legislation impossible to judge the constitutionality of, because it basically amounts to that note Ron Swanson wrote himself that says "I can do what I want".

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:08 am

Okay. While everyone's watching the Trump circus my homeland has voted to become the forth fucking reich overnight.

Last night in the House of Commons, the Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill was passed by a margin of 182-20 at second reading.

The official description of the bill is to “authorise conduct by officials and agents of the security and intelligence services, law enforcement, and certain other public authorities, which would otherwise constitute criminality.”

The details are exactly what it says on the tin. They're not even papering it over now.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:31 am

“authorise conduct by officials and agents of the security and intelligence services, law enforcement, and certain other public authorities, which would otherwise constitute criminality.”

I've read this sentence five times now and there's no other way to parse it than "authority figures can now do whatever the fuck they want."
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:43 am

182 - 20

No media fuss.

I think we need to get further away. Maybe not if there's a successful second go at Scottish independence. I dunno. Fuck.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:21 am

From what I know (which is very little) Scotland seems to be a pretty good place to live, but yeah the fact that they're part of the UK is bad. Then again, Hard Brexit may result in them just fucking off and then rejoining the EU, so.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:36 pm

Stross:

Your takeaway should be that the UK has just been through 13 very turbulent months (from the 2019 general election upset, via COVID19, to the current mess), but we're only just approaching the threshold of a year that looks likely to continue COVID19 for the first half (at least), with added economic crisis, probable civil disobedience and unrest, a risk of the NHS collapsing, a possible run on Sterling, and then a constitutional crisis as one or more parts of the United Kingdom gear up for a secession campaign.

JD

Postby JD » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:06 pm

Victory at the High Court against the government’s use of 'general warrants’

UK law normally requires law enforcement and government to obtain a warrant before a digital search. In recent years, the UK circumvented this by declaring "general warrants" which granted blanket authorization to wiretap or hack practically unlimited number of people on a single warrant.

You might think that this sounds like unlawful warrantless searches with extra steps. The news today is that the High Court agrees.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:55 pm

Irish Times:

Having a monarchy next door is a little like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and has daubed their house with clown murals, displays clown dolls in each window and has an insatiable desire to hear about and discuss clown-related news stories. More specifically, for the Irish, it’s like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and, also, your grandfather was murdered by a clown.

Beyond this, it’s the stuff of children’s stories. Having a queen as head of state is like having a pirate or a mermaid or Ewok as head of state. What’s the logic? Bees have queens, but the queen bee lays all of the eggs in the hive. The queen of the Britons has laid just four British eggs, and one of those is the sweatless creep Prince Andrew, so it’s hardly deserving of applause.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:14 am

I'm determinedly not keeping up with any of this, but was entertained to see the young exiles taking their story to Oprah. That makes this a war between the US and UK aristocracy, aye?

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:47 am

I for one was exceedingly shocked that a bunch of rich white people turned out to be racist as fuck, an event so uncommon as to be virtually unheard of in the entirety of human history.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:24 am

There's so many great Prince Phillip/Prince Andrew quotehack memes using pics from the interview.