Fight for What's Right: The Protest Thread

KingRoyal

Re: Fight for What's Right: The Protest Thread

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:27 pm

People defend it because they say a guy came at the cops with a knife, though to me that actually seems like a perfectly acceptable reaction to a bunch of people pointing guns at someone.
signature

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:58 pm

Past Wisdom: He shouldn't have tried to attack the cops with a knife.
Present Wisdom: He shouldn't have tried to attack the cops with a knife.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:02 pm

Not about anything recent per se. Just totally worth posting (IMO).

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:15 pm

"For my freedom, I'd burn anything." is a good quote. Shows the ridiculousness of claiming that burning property is the real problem. I made that argument to my friends who were doing the whole "I'm a white moderate, so while I am on the side of BLM, I disagree with their methods and think they should be nicer" song and dance. I straight up informed them that I would support any amount of burning of cop cars and cop buildings as long as they were empty. I don't care how much of that shit has to burn if it gets movement started on police reform.

Also, my god white moderates. Ever since I read Letter From Birmingham Jail it's like a fucking wall has been bombed out in my brain. These people do not understand that they are what MLK described as the greatest stumbling block of the black people in America. So many fucking people with no skin in the game just pontificating that the protesters should go and protest where nobody can see them and they won't bother anyone. Hold on, let me shoot your fucking brother in the chest 13-35 times, then get off because I said "lunge" a lot in my report, then tell you that your protest you're having outside my office is wrong and bad because "there's a time and place."

Just kidding. I actually also shot your neighbor, your daughter, and several coworkers. And also I didn't just get off because I said lunge, I got off because I have a corrupt union. And a corrupt system. And also I have a decade long record of complaints about overuse of force. And also I didn't shoot your brother, I slowly suffocated him with my leg while he begged for me to stop.

But yeah, could you please stop getting on the news? It upsets me. And don't kneel when the national anthem plays, you're being rude to soldiers.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:45 pm

The MLK line I remember the most is one he repeated in many ways quite a few times over his career: "True peace is not merely the absence of tension: it is the presence of justice."

He was enough of an optimist to never voice the corollary that, in the absence of justice, the false peace which reigns can only end in fire and blood. And that fire and blood doesn't always come because the oppressed rose up to overthrow their oppressors.

A fight for justice is, IMO, an existential fight.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:59 am

The Other America speech (video / transcript) is one where he addresses the "condemn the riots" language directly:

But at the same time, it is as necessary for me to be as vigorous in condemning the conditions which cause persons to feel that they must engage in riotous activities, as it is for me to condemn riots. I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society, which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. And in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. So in a real sense, our nation’s summer’s riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.

JFK expressed a similar sentiment: "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:59 pm

The important difference is the absolutist language he used, making it easy to parrot without realising that you're part of the machine that makes justice impossible. It sounds like it only applies to nazis and dictators, which safely defangs the idea.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:22 pm

Yeah, reducing a sentiment to a pithy soundbite can certainly do that. If I had a nickel for every dumb bastard who doesn't know anything about MLK beyond a single out-of-context sentence from a single speech...

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:27 pm

hahahahahahahahaha
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:19 pm

From what I've read golf courses typically move holes around the green all the time, so this isn't a crippling gesture of protest, but I do appreciate the giant middle finger it effectively communicates nonetheless

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:34 am

The solution then is not to fill a hole with concrete but to dig 50 more holes on the green
signature

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:17 pm

Now there's a great idea