Conspiracy theories, apophenia, and ascribing order to chaos

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Conspiracy theories, apophenia, and ascribing order to chaos

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:02 am

Breaking news from the department of you-couldn't-make-this-shit-up-if-you-tried.

Anti-5G necklaces found to be radioactive

(via BBC)

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:17 pm

QAnon Is Celebrating the Return of Its Leader After 18 Months of Silence
Experts say the new “Q drops” look fake, but that’s not stopping devoted QAnon believers from celebrating Q’s return.

tl;dr this time Jim Watkins fucked up and left conclusive evidence that whoever was posting as "Q" wasn't the original Q but either Watkins himself or someone else with the keys to the site. This doesn't conclusively prove that any of the other Q posts were actually him, but it conclusively proves that they could have been, and people who have been watching Qanon unfold have long suspected Watkins was posting as Q.

A bit more on the technical details of how channers figured it out:

Basically the downside to impersonating someone whose fans are obsessed with searching for numerical patterns is that in amongst all the apophenia, if there are some real, intentional patterns in there, someone's probably going to find them.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:29 am

I wouldn't want to comment or even mention every dumb conspiracy, and there's usually no point discussing any at length (including this one), but the latest conspiracy theory to get fire in the right-wing idiotsphere is pretty mindblowing TBH: "There's no footage of the supposed War in Ukraine..."