Regular-Forum Fervor! Let's Play the Sims 4!

Büge

Re: Regular-Forum Fervor! Let's Play the Sims 4!

Postby Büge » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:33 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Image
"Realism..."

Image: "I'm still practicing!"

Justispeare, Undyne. Woman With a Peanut Allergy. 2021, private collection.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 pm

Well, I suppose it's no great surprise given how the last Sims LP went.

Yep. Game save file's gone.

When I bought my old laptop for school, about all I needed was one that could run a web browser and a word processor, and purchased accordingly. The wifi was shoddy, the video display was lackluster, and the processing power was at about the point where it had to think real hard about how to run such a complicated, action-packed, graphical powerhouse as *checks notes* You Must Build a Boat.

So I got a new one. Not that I could super afford it but I had some school funds left over that the IRS would have been pretty grumpy if they'd audited me again and found the money I was obligated to spend on school supplies went to groceries and rent! Ha ha!

Technology marches on, and it turns out the laptop I got in 2021 is better than the bargain laptop I got in 2015 and the budget desktop I got in like 2013 put together. So I scrubbed 'em and recycled 'em.

And the backup didn't bring over a functional Sims 4 savegame. That's probably on me. Steam Cloud didn't help, though. The Origin app they keep making me install to play Sims 4 didn't help either, but I don't know if preserving save games is even a thing it's supposed to do. (If it is a thing it's supposed to do, and it didn't, it's EA. Still no surprise.)

Well, whatever.

Will Undyne ever paint a masterpiece? Will Sans become a comedy legend? Will Papyrus ever get Liberty Lee into the Bone Zone? We'll never know! Unless I restart, I guess. What's a little timeline reset between friends?

Image: "..."

Anyway, it'll be a little bit before I update this one again, and it might not even be the same household. I mean, probably, those three kooky dudes are pretty entertaining to play off each other. They might look a smidge different, the character generator isn't super precise.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:30 pm

Yeah, so I didn't redo Sans, Papyrus, and Undyne again.

I did mess around in the character generator until inspiration struck, though. Made a couple people. Deleted a bunch. Kept a few. Then I figured, if I'm gonna screenshot and present the game...

...I might as well run a game as the Champion of Maxin' and Relaxin'.

Jeff just wants to be popular.

But he's gregarious and outgoing, so he makes buddies easily. Nevermind that Dina looks a little put-off by the fish fin mohawk.

I guess he's talking about bideo james with his new buds? Because I don't know how he'd pick up a skill without either reading about it or practicing it.

The Welcome Wagon event has a different cast. Liberty and Travis are still here, but the other neighbors are new. And one of them is a Bro, so Jeff is happy to meet a kindred spirit.

Jeff. Just... Jeff
Aspiration: Party Animal
Throw 3 Parties (0/3)
Earn Silver rating on 3 gatherings (0/3)
Bonus trait: Gregarious (build relationships faster)

Career: Jeff is unemployed.
Skills: Cooking, Mixology, Charisma, Comedy, Bideo James all at level 1.

Already friends with: Nancy Landgraab, the Welcome Wagon crew (Ari Woodworth, Carrie Woodworth, Liberty Lee, Travis Scott), Reuben Harms, three former roommates
Acquaintances with: Eliza Pancakes, Manu Blanton, Don Lothario, Salvator Tate, Daisy McCrary, Vivian Lewis, Dina Caliente

Traits:
Self-Assured (often get Confident moodlet)
Bro (enjoys the company of other bros)
Outgoing (enjoy social time more, dislike alone time a lot more)

So... it's the end of the first day in town for Jeff, and he's already made his first level of aspirations by making a ton of acquaintances. Where do we go from here? Does Jeff get a job? How does he make his dosh?

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:28 pm

ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:39 am

I have so much shit to do but I tweaked my back lifting a heavy box yesterday so I spent the day today not doing any of it. That means another Jeff Update, or Juffdate.

Those pajamas are atrocious. First thing, get you back into your khakis. Second thing, redo all your other preset outfits -- the game has normal, sleep, formal, party, cold weather, and hot weather to customize -- so they're not... like that.

Jeff gets back to doing what he does, making friends. Even Republican garbage-people.

Dude in the red shirt, whose name I forget, is doing his best to wreck the mood. Every time he opens his mouth everyone in the conversation gets the big minus-signs over their heads indicating that their friendliness has gone down. What a dick.

Huh? Oh sure. You guys get outta here, an actual friend is on th--

Liberty, be honest, did you call while you were already jogging over here? (the BFFs household is next door. That's Liberty and Travis, plus Summer Holiday.)

what the hell is this conversation about

Even for outgoing and gregarious sims, conversations aren't enjoyable pastimes. The fun meter decays over time, even if you're talking about stuff you enjoy with your best buds. So Jeff unwinds with some TV after spending all day working to be a friendly neighbor. (He has a dining table, but likes to eat in front of the TV, why not)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:58 am

Something I noticed in the Undertale game but didn't take advantage of is that the public spaces between livable lots have patches of flowers and mushrooms and diggable spots in the ground to forage. There's even a little community garden at the end of the lot with free apples and berries that the neighbors take care of. Jeff spends the next day wandering around looking for stuff. He collects some flowers and vegetables, and digs up a time capsule.

Inside the time capsule is a MySims figurine. The best one for a bro like Jeff, I guess. There are a lot of capsules, and a lot of figurines to find. I mostly sell them, but Chaz here goes on display in the kitchen.

I buy Jeff a crafting table to practice Handiness.

In Sims 3, Sims could just tinker with stuff to practice Handiness and get better at it. That's not an option in Sims 4, as far as I can tell you can either read a book or use a crafting table to practice, but that's it. In 3 it was also possible to get practice with Handiness by trying to upgrade something, which usually took a while (so it was worth a lot of practice) and gave you an extra feature to whatever it was you upgraded. In 4 you need spare parts to upgrade something, and the most reliable way I've seen to get those is to wait until something breaks, then repair it. You get spare parts as a reward. Jeff has dug up a couple of parts, and if there's a pile of trash around somewhere you can rummage through it to see if there's anything useful, but typically you're just waiting for stuff to break down.

It's... not great.

Liberty swings by, this time without calling first.

Between Papyrus and Jeff I wonder if Liberty is just hard-coded to be extremely friendly to her new neighbors or something.

Liberty excused herself, Jeff made dinner, Liberty came back.

You, uh... look man, I'm craning my neck around trying to talk to you. Why don't you sit here on this stool? I made it myself on my new crafting table.

Being friendly pays off with skill increases.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:20 am

Oh hey, it's one of the former roommates I made in chargen and dismissed so Jeff could live alone.

I think I made her an athlete. Lots of running and jumping and climbing and dying to streams of Evil Fire

It's not long before she's all "gotta jet" and leaves though

Just to try it out, I have Jeff throw a house party. In Sims 3 you set a date for it, in 4 your guests start showing up the instant you hang up the phone from inviting them. Jeff had made some fish tacos and a cake, so it worked out okay.

Some folks are nearly unrecognizable in their party outfits. Jeff is all fancied up for the gig, far right. To his left are Reuben, Juni, Liberty, Manu, and... uh... oh, Bailee Delgado. She was the one talking about penguins up a couple posts ago while Jeff was introducing himself to his neighbors on the sidewalk in front of his house.

In Sims 3, parties measured the Fun meters of the party participants (party-cipants), or their moodlets, or something. I'm not sure exactly what made a successful party in Sims 3. But now there's a checklist and a time limit to fill it in. The more items you do, the more the meter fills up, and the higher the meter when time runs out, the better the party.

It's almost entirely luck-based, since you have to manipulate the moods of the partycipants and your host is constantly running back into the kitchen to make more food, even when everyone's fed and there's more on the table. Like, look here. There's not a way to be both happy and flirty at the same time, they're two different mood sets. At least eating cake is easy.

One of three complete.

Image'
My reward is a sofa that is very picky about where it can go in the house.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:27 am

...who the hell is at the door?

Parties, as I have discovered, are an excellent time for the items in your house to break down. Repairing some stuff got Jeff some spare parts to use, but with those a limited resource I don't want to spend them on the stock-model crap that the house came with. I buy a deluxe toilet and Jeff upgrades it to break down less often.

Most of the first-available upgrades for an item make it break less, therefore rendering fewer upgrade parts to get the rest of the enhancements. It's... not great.

Well, there's a couple extra plumbing parts from repairing whatever the hell it was Juni did to the kitchen sink.

Also, that's not much of a rabbit sculpture. Jeff's got a long way to go.

Image: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!"

Jeff's sold enough handcrafted endtables to afford to expand the house a little bit.

oof, good thing I didn't spend a ton of money on that

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:35 am

House party, attempt 2

ayfkm there are four people dancing how does that not count as listening to the stereo

Bronze medal for this. Could have been silver but apparently cake is mandatory for parties and dancing to music doesn't count as listening to music.

Jeff can make bear statues now, so he does, and decorates his front porch with them.

I send Jeff out to other neighborhoods to see if they have anything to forage. And weirdly, no, they don't. I find one rotten log that Jeff can use to search for wild frogs in the park, but that's it. The undeveloped land behind main street has a lot of plants, but none of them are blooming or bearing fruit. It's a Sims game, we don't expect everything to work properly.

Also, um, hey Jeff, where'd you get that laptop, I never bought you one

also how are you getting wi-fi out here in the picnic area

but seriously where'd the laptop come from

Um... do I know you?

This is a nice little town, if it's one where little girls can just go up and knock on strangers' doors to say hi. I thought this might have been an event prompt, like she needed help or was selling fundraiser cookies for her wilderness troop or something. But no, just a nine-year-old girl who wants to be friends with a green-skinned shirtless fishman.

I send Cassiel home pretty quickly, the whole situation makes me uncomfortable.

Juni likes to invite herself over, usually while Jeff is cooking. Jeff just finished making dinner in this case.

Juni's bummed about something and immediately goes to cry in the bathroom once she arrives.

Jeff helps her shake off the blues...

...so Juni has him do sit-ups.

this game is weird

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:40 am

House party attempt #3. Liberty's already pissed off about something before she shows up, and resents any attempts to get her to let go and have fun

Juni's back to being bummed.

Nothing to do for that one.

Jeff had such a miserable time at his own party that he needs to unwind with some TV afterward.

Actually, I was just making a couple cocktails to pregame...

...before I went to the club.

As it turns out the nightclub doesn't have a bathroom, and having a beverage of any sort is quite refreshing but destroys the Bladder meter, so Jeff doesn't stay out very long.

While he has his drink I look around out back to see if any of the foraging plants have matured. They haven't, but someone left a full pic-a-nic spread out on the tables.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:45 am

Sure man, there's gotta be a trick to throwing a killer party, lemme see how you do it

okay, step 1: invite exactly two people and greet your guests outside.

step 2: the bathroom is the place to mingle

step 3: your mom watches from the sofa while we chat over dinner...

step 4: ...while the caterer does push-ups on the living room floor.

step 5: after which you go sleep. in a chair next to your bed.

what the christ, man

Y'know what? I'm going to make the best of things. The caterer and that gloomy chick went home, you're asleep, and I've had your mom over to a couple of house parties at my place where I had to flirt with my guests for some reason. Let's have some private time, maybe see where things lead...

Oh you suck entirely, I'm going home

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:53 am

Maybe people would be less angry and sad to come to my parties if I livened the place up a little.

So I redecorate. Extensively.

Well, given the budget.

In Sims 3, nearly all of the really expensive furniture and decor would give positive Environment scores, so people would feel better being in rooms with them. Now there's very little that gives an Environment bonus, which I guess is nice since a lot of the stuff in 3 that gave the best scores was actually kind of ugly. You want bonuses from decor, get art, not a fancy lighting fixture or whatever.

The dining room table and chairs Jeff made himself, and are +4. Each of the curtains on the windows are +2, and I'm not sure whether they stack, but eh. The art on the walls gives a few other small bonuses. A rug would really tie the room together.

Y'know, the "have drinks" goal would be a lot easier to achieve if the guy I asked over to bartend for the party would go behind the bar and mix drinks instead of sitting at the table stuffing his gob. And the stereo busted, so I scrapped it for parts. Turns out that was a bad idea. This time nobody wants the cake Jeff made, either.

Ugh.

Once again Jeff goes to watch TV after a shitty attempt at entertaining his friends.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:07 am

Just chatting with friends isn't fun, so when Juni invites herself over while Jeff is eating they end up playing cards to +Fun and +Social at the same time. Turns out that's also a light Logic practice.

Jeff's gotten good enough at Handiness to craft an Excellent-quality table for +6 environment instead of +4, so he gets rid of the old one and keeps the new.

Hmm. Well, that explains why Juni was so sad for a while. Come to think of it, one of the other housemates I genned and dismissed was Albert Wily, already elderly. The four of them started as friends, so when Wily got shot in the face by a robot or something, Juni got the call and was bummed about it, and Jeff never found out.

Nonetheless, I am trying one last time to throw a banger of a party. House parties are too much, but perhaps I can throw some sort of... elegant dinner party, for the most elegant people.

Pretend I linked to a YouTube video of Judy Greer warbling the line, I can't find one worth a damn.

Wait a second who the hell are you, you weren't invited, I don't even know you

Long story short the goals for a dinner party are shit like "call everyone to dinner", "have everyone eat food", "make some coffee". Tons easier than a house party but not... not really Jeff-like imo.

Yes, I bought a coffee maker just to meet the goals of my eeeeeelegant dinnnnnnnnah paaaaahty and then got a coffee maker as a reward. Go figure.

Whatever, that's two. I wonder if the gold medal from this one will count towards however many gold medals I need for whatever level of aspiration starts calling for those.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:09 am

Jeff's general bio hasn't changed, and he's made enough money foraging and selling handmade furniture that he hasn't needed to go get a job. His skills have gotten much better, though!
Cooking 9 (Sims get sick of eating fast food too often, so I can't imagine having a household without the Cooking skill.)
Handiness 8
Charisma 5 (Figured it'd be higher.)
Gardening 4 (Picking fruit counts as gardening somehow. To be fair, Jeff does have green thumbs.)
Mixology 3
Comedy and Logic 2
Piano, Bideo James, Gourmet Cooking, and Fitness all at 1

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:37 pm

The shock of Carrie's death has set in. Jeff threw a good party last night, but today he's pretty much useless. He keeps trying to go back to his bed to hide under the covers and cry out his feelings over... um, a friend he barely talked to after their first meeting. Guy's really sensitive, you know?

Of course, grieving at home means ignoring your other needs, such as Jeff's central one: talking with his friends.

Jeff calls over his support group -- Liberty, Juni, and Bailee -- but he's too bummed to really keep track of what's going on. It doesn't help his Social need much since he just wants to go cry by himself. I don't think Liberty, Juni, or Bailee knew Carrie, since their moods all seem normal.

Time marches on. Apparently that should have been a birthday party for Bailee, since she aged up into the Elderly category within twelve hours or so of leaving Casa de Jeff.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:45 pm

Can verify, nothing helps grief but time. If the game wanted to be realistic then losing someone particularly close to a sim would have that sim just get randomly sad upon seeing random objects that remind them of who they lost, or just at random times. That's a thing, you see. Probably best that "feature" never made it into the game.

Anyway, Jeff is back to trying to throw some bangin' parties, but damned if those "get everyone to join together and [X]" goals are just unattainable. I can't figure out how to herd the entire party into one activity.

It doesn't help his party-throwing that Jeff wanted to keep wandering off and making food, and I had to manually cancel him doing it several times. As a bug, the tasks he attempted remain in his taskbar until I quit and restart.

After some more Good Enough parties, Jeff manages to graduate into the next level of his lifelong aspiration. Now he wants to... earn Silver medals three more times, and also party at a bunch of different places.

I don't feel like Jeff spends a ton of time cooking food, but damned if Juni and Liberty don't want to come over while he's making food, or having just made some, is eating it.

Yep. Juni was sad before because Doctah Wawwy died and they were still close enough to be friends.

At level 9 Handiness, Jeff can handcraft wooden bathtubs. They're a couple hundred bucks to make, but sell for a penny. Jeff certainly doesn't need to go get a job now, he can crank out four or five tubs in a day without ignoring his Needs too much.

Time makes fools of us all.

Whoops! Including Jeff. That's a surprise, Sims 3 always gave you a couple of days' warning to plan a party.

Oh, fuck you.

Advancing into middle age nets Jeff about 30 pounds but no other noticeable changes.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:50 pm

The first roommate, before I made Juni and Wily, was a remake of Sans. Of course it was.

Yep. Bailee stopped showing up to parties and hangouts, so Sans gets to take over.

Anyway. Jeff will throw himself his own damn birthday party.

He hires a caterer and a bartender so he doesn't have to worry about those things himself, and since he wants to party at lots of different places, tells everyone to meet at the museum downtown.

And when he arrives, the people he hired go "whoops, turns out we didn't actually bring the tools we needed to do the job you want us to do, ha ha, looks like you're out of luck." Like, I hired a caterer for a birthday party and they didn't even bother to bring a cake. What the hell.

Jeff has the party goal of making a group meal, but not only is that sort of thing exactly what he hired someone else to do, that person has made very clear that there aren't any facilities for that kind of thing. By the time I remember there are picnic grills in the open space behind the museum lot, it's too late for Jeff to get over there and roast some corn. Oh well. Another party, another bust.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:55 pm

Funny, I didn't get a cheevo for hitting level 10 in Cooking.

It's weird that sims can handcraft a toilet but not, say, a bed.

The Handiness level up also nets Jeff the ability to make Excellent-quality tubs, which can sell for thousands of Simoleons. He can still make four or five a day.

Even an excellent-quality handcrafted tub isn't as good as the top-tier bathtub available in the shop, but it doesn't take very many sales of excellent-quality handcrafted tubs to afford said top-tier.

...which Jeff, handy guy that he is, upgrades into the ultimate hygiene-slash-relaxation tool.

While I'm thinking about handicraft, it occurs to me that maybe the reason my party guests can't all drink at the same time is because they can't sit directly at the bar. That'd be a really, really dumb reason, but the game has its share of quirks. Maybe that's one of them. I'm pretty sure I also have Jeff upgrade his end tables and bear statues to Excellent-quality versions for extra decor boosts.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:03 pm

Jeff is determined not to just have a good party, but to make up for not having a birthday party. So we're trying that again.

I pack up the card table and chairs, a couple moodlet-boosting decor items, and the stereo into Jeff's inventory. Jeff then makes a big plate of food for everyone, bakes his own damn cake since apparently you can't trust a professional with that kind of responsibility, stuffs those into his inventory too, and makes the call to invite folks out.

Once the cake is on the table it's still a $10 upgrade to put birthday candles on it. There's also the option to add a wedding topper, guess I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to throw a wedding party.

Excuse me what

ha ha when a Sim blows out the candles on a birthday cake at a birthday party they immediately age up into the next category. I'm pretty sure I just accidentally cut Jeff's lifespan by about a quarter. He put on another 30 pounds or so, too. Maybe Fitness skill helps avoid weight gain on aging up.

I'm not sure if Elderly sims have their needs decay faster, but it feels like Jeff is just running between the kitchen to eat and the bathroom to pee now. That means less time to coordinate with his friends to fill his rapidly-decaying Social need. Since he's now old enough to enjoy Boomer Humor I get him a PC and he sets up a Facebook account. Ha ha! Those young people sure are different from us!

Oh, there's that. There's no brick-and-mortar storefront to buy supplies, you order them online now. Hur hur hur

Ever Sim starts with a cellphone, but given how much there is to do on a PC that can't be done anywhere else, it seems odd that you have to save up and buy those retail.

Juni has aged up into middle-adulthood. Since she's more physically fit than Jeff, it seems like she didn't put on as much weight, so there's a little evidence to support that theory. And all her weight gain went into her hips, so she's ready to apply for roles as a mom in a Pixar film. Hnnnnggh, she got dummy thicc

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:09 pm

Okay. Old or not, Jeff's still got to throw some awesome parties. He invites Liberty, Juni, and Sans like usual. This time Bailee shows up at the door without an invitation. Of course she can come in!

there it is

So in order to get everyone to do the same thing at the same time, you have to click on one of your guests, go to "Other..." to skip all of the recommended interactions with them, then click "Form Group". You make a group out of your host and all the party guests. Then you can click on a bar and make a big batch of drinks for everyone, or click on the stereo to all enjoy music together. That's somehow even less obvious than needing a PC to buy plumbing repair parts!

Um...

er...

Bailee, are you okay?

Bailee is very much not okay. She came to visit Jeff in her final moments, and died in the middle of his party.

Thank you anonymous caller I am very well aware the Grim Reaper is standing in my fucking living room right at this moment

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go get a mop because we're all pretty torn up about it and the sobbing has left literal puddles on the floor

After collecting Bailee's soul and stuffing it into his pocket, the spectre of death goes to watch TV.

I could have made gold, I think, but obviously no one wants to eat dessert.