Let's play World of Horror, because that's a welcome change from reality I guess

François

Re: Let's play World of Horror, because that's a welcome change from reality I guess

Postby François » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:56 am

I gotta say these spoilers are tempting, and I would certainly like to show new stuff fast for LP purposes, but I do also enjoy playing the game for myself so I'm thinking I should pass for now.

For now.

Behold the glorious wonders of a man who forgot he picked a level-up perk that gives him extra experience for every mystery solved and then tries to explain away said extra experience. What majesty.

François

Re: Let's play World of Horror, because that's a welcome change from reality I guess

Postby François » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:35 am

Against all odds, Kouji made it to a third episode. Could it be that this clever young photojournalist is Japan's answer to Peter Parker?

(Probably not. Maybe in a spider-god run later.)

If I've learned, or really just confirmed, anything from this run, it's that the lighthouse isn't actually very difficult and that it's one more element that I'm far too afraid of than it warrants. There are combat encounters in regular mysteries, both random and guaranteed, that are harder than anything we've seen in there. I suspect the place is designed to finish you off if you're in real bad shape by the end so you have an incentive to be reasonably efficient through the whole game, but by itself it seems to be more of a last ditch poke of death attempt than an actual major challenge.

That, or I've been incredibly lucky so far. Always a possibility.

I'm also realizing that just beating the game, while nice, isn't as interesting to me as potentially finding new ways to "solve" mysteries, or getting achievement unlocks, or just experiencing new spooks, really. I haven't recorded my next session yet; we'll see if that alters how I play in any way. I do want to defeat Cthac-Atorasu at least once though, so that may also affect how much risk I'm comfortable with taking on.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:41 am

One thing that I'll freely say outside of spoiler blocks: Timeline B changes several investigations as well as the weighting of encounters, so that will tie in to exploring more of the game and getting more endings.

François

Postby François » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:29 pm

That does sound interesting. I wasn't sure if I was going to switch timelines or try the Medical History background one more time or both, but seeing as I'm probably trying a C-A run again next, Medical History sounds like it would be The Worst Idea. So Occult Capital of Japan it is!

François

Postby François » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:26 pm

When you live in an apartment building, home is also where your neighbors' hearts are.

Come to think of it, I keep expecting that idol to do something visibly, spectacularly nasty, but for all I know it's just like -4 luck or something and it's screwing me over in a way I'll never be able to identify. Maybe I should try resisting again.

Or maybe its only disadvantage is that it makes me paranoid about what it's not doing. Hmm.

...okay, I'll be honest, subconsciously I just hope one day it'll split the clouds and divide the sea and show those evil guys how nasty those elder gods can be.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:38 pm

François wrote:When you live in an apartment building, home is also where your neighbors' hearts are.

Video's private, BTW.
Also, almost-related, even scarier than World of Horror:

François

Postby François » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:53 pm

Oh dang, it's public now, thanks for the heads-up. I used to start them unlisted and then gradually made them public, but now that youtube randos are caught up I guess I overcorrected in the other direction, heheh.

Grath wrote:Also, almost-related, even scarier than World of Horror:

Oh neat. And I thought I didn't want funko pops in my house before. Those were the days.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:32 pm

Whenever someone says "Capitalism creates useless bullshit products and then sells them to you" I immediately think of Funko Pops.
ImageImageImage

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:26 pm

So, fun thing about the idol is when it does absolutely nothing, at least in the current build, except make you paranoid.

François

Postby François » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:01 am

Even with Kana and Randos 1 and 2 along, holding back the eldritch apocalypse can feel lonely at times. We need more friends. The more powerful the better. Let's get some new faces in here.

No, I don't mean the hardware store clerk. Though a discount would be nice.

good grief is there a heat wave or something everyone's always just so sweaty

I like how I just start whispering during the summoning ritual, like I'm worried someone's going to hear me even the though in the actual scene everyone is looking directly at us. It doesn't play super well with the audio filter I use to make sure none of you have to listen to my fridge being all fridgey literally two meters away, but, well, I'm sure everything that needs to come through comes through. Everything.

Grath wrote:So, fun thing about the idol is

Dang, I want to not know more than I want to know by only the slightest margin. But I have to admit it would be very on brand to learn the truth about an occult idol and then regret having learned it. :3

François

Postby François » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:28 am

Only one more old one to go, only one mystery before the lighthouse. We're so close to a temporary and near-meaningless reprieve, I can almost taste it!

And as he so often does, Aka Manto stands in our way. Whose side is he on, really?

(The paper industry's side, of course. So obvious.)

Welp. "I'm too afraid of Doom for my own good and the lighthouse isn't actually dangerous." How does the very next frickin' run ends? A single percent of Doom damage on the last steps of the lighthouse! How's the taste of that humble pie, my dude? Cripes, I couldn't have done it on purpose if I had wanted to.

I'm starting to think making one big obvious run-ending bad call feels better than making fifty slightly inefficient decisions that killed me in aggregate but would have let me win anyway if I only had made even just one fewer of them. Would keeping Mind Drain have saved me? Yeah, I could have one-turned Takashi-san with it. Would resting one fewer time have saved me? Yeah, I had plenty of Stamina and Reason at the end. Would running away from the Nameless Horror have saved me? Yeah, I took 4% Doom damage while attacking the priest. (Unless running away would have also increased Doom as a consequence, I don't know.) Did I visit the vending machine one too many times? Yup, that's a % every time and all I got from it were Reason recovery items that I ended up not needing that much. Should I have remembered to take notes regarding the order of the first few fights? Oh yeah, that would have been nice. Heck, if I had pursed the Crimson Cape bad ending instead of putting a permanent end to that particular problem, that was a win right there!

But none of the decisions were that horrible per se. I just put one toe over the line, in my overconfidence. And everybody died.

Let's hope I can get a better feel for that line in the future.

Or, well, it seems every god has a unique Doom ending, so, silver lining. :D

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:25 am

You might have saved that run. One word: DODGE!

Also I wonder if min-maxing even more Dex might have made your fights easier?

François

Postby François » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:57 pm

Heh, dodging literally just occurred to me moments ago, and I'm the tiniest smidge more amused than pissed off at myself about it.

Also I wonder if min-maxing even more Dex might have made your fights easier?

If I had been more defense-minded, almost certainly. Damage-wise I was hard capped as far as I know; the game literally didn't let me tack on any more strikes even with plenty of time bar left, and I'm pretty sure attack boost and prep don't scale with anything. This was just about the worst build to get the -1 damage per hit injury on, for sure. I would have been better off keeping the infected wound instead. Unless it would get even worse over time!

Dang, now that I think about it, using the option that allows any character to get any perk opens up a nasty combination, playing Aiko with her faster attacks and getting Haru's +1 damage perk on top. Chipper-shredder unlocked!

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:28 am

From the new episode you haven't posted here yet, as far as Timeline B and alternate endings is concerned (2/5 completed): Crimson Cape's other ending was from doing the sidequest correctly; you got Timeline B exclusive endings to Alarming Account of Abnormal Arms and Far-out Fable of a Fear Festival.

Also, episode related:
BONESAW IS READY!

Congrats on finally remembering to write down mystery and combat order. Too bad Medical History + Aka Manto is probably going to doom this run.

François

Postby François » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:37 pm

Oh, heh, I must have set it to publish automatically and the upload completed while I was asleep. I don't remember any of it, but, well, hypersomnia! And technology!

At any rate, yes indeed, we're leaving Cthac-Atorasu alone this time while I hone my skills on a different impossible task, because that... makes... sense...?

Grath wrote:From the new episode you haven't posted here yet, as far as Timeline B and alternate endings is concerned (2/5 completed): Crimson Cape's other ending was from doing the sidequest correctly; you got Timeline B exclusive endings to Alarming Account of Abnormal Arms and Far-out Fable of a Fear Festival.

That is delightful to know. I was suspecting this was the case, but that's one fewer source of stress, heh. I'll likely be sticking with A for a bit then, and I'll just have to hope we stop rolling 100% complete mysteries.

Grath wrote:Congrats on finally remembering to write down mystery and combat order. Too bad Medical History + Aka Manto is probably going to doom this run.

All I'm saying is, it gets a touch rougher than I expected!

François

Postby François » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Here's to the surprisingly continuing adventures of Little Miss Bonesaw and the Five-Eyed Posse!

Wait. Isn't "Mimi" just the Japanese word for "ears"? Would anyone actually have it as their a given name and not some cruel nickname?

*google google google*

Combination of any mi kanji, such as 美 meaning "beauty," 海 meaning "sea, ocean," 未, referring to the sign of the Sheep, 実 meaning "seed; fruit," 夢 meaning "dream," 光 meaning "light; ray, beam, glow" or 心 meaning "heart, mind." They can also be duplicated or marked with the repetition marker 々.

Well dang. I think my knowledge just went up by 1.

François

Postby François » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:32 pm

There was a specific point during this run where I felt like it was not going to be a three-parter. I'm probably more surprised than you are! Let's see what those final 15 minutes have in store for us; it's over quick, one way or another.

I wouldn't claim this is anywhere close to a perfect run, but I might be starting to feel like I know what I'm doing by now!

I'm thinking I might focus on defeating Cthac-Atorasu at this point, and then once that's done, whenever that is, maybe go on hiatus until the game's next update, also whenever that is. Unless I feel like messing around with increased difficulty or endless mode or something. Gonna play it by ear and see how it goes. (As usual!) It's a roguelike, I don't have to worry about anyone losing the plot, heh.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:06 pm

Conspirant: It's a straight Charisma check, 8+ charisma gets +10 xp, less charisma gets -3 reason.

Dang, that was a super smooth journey through the rest of the run.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:37 am

Congrats! You've certainly come a long way from where you started.

The harder difficulties are fucking brutal.
ImageImageImage

François

Postby François » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:38 pm

It's Cthac-attack time! And hammer time! And crime time! And hunting time! So many times, you won't know what to do with them all!

In a perfect world it would also be time for Panstasz to open a merch store and sell Kana's shirt and for me to buy a hundred of them, but such glories are not for the likes of mankind.

Grath wrote:Conspirant: It's a straight Charisma check, 8+ charisma gets +10 xp, less charisma gets -3 reason.

Ah, that'll make sense. Dang I wish the game was a touch more consistent about signposting rolls like this. At least in this particular case it's not like there's a choice to make. Unless you have the Void spell, I suppose.

Grath wrote:Dang, that was a super smooth journey through the rest of the run.

Surprised the hell outta me!

Friday wrote:Congrats! You've certainly come a long way from where you started.

The harder difficulties are fucking brutal.

Thanks! Heh, this has definitely been a journey of self-discovery and self-improvement, and I'm not just talking about the game. :3

Still having trouble with that "th" sound though. I think I'm happier with my Japanese "r/l" than with my "th", which I would not have guessed in advance.