Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: The X-Com Files: All Y'All Gonna Die

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:53 pm

"Foxhounds" How appropriate!

(that's the NATO callsign for MiG 31s)

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:05 pm

Just to be clear, we have no real idea what these new compounds are, what they do, how they do it, who made them or why, and multiple doses are being issued to all field agents for recreational use on duty? Also we can't synthesise it yet so it's the goop harvested from vampire autopsies or w/e.

Jolly good, carry on.

(Have genre savvy bad guys ever taken over a world by introducing the first healing potions? It couldn't fail because we're all conditioned never to question the healing potions. HP go up, all good here!)

atog

Postby atog » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:12 pm

Shove me in a rickety shuttle and airdrop me over Saucerdale. I'm so dumb I can barely remember how to tie my shoes unless given a debriefing every morning, but hey that makes me 99.6% immune to psionic attacks.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:32 pm

I'll give ya a debriefing in the morning. >:D

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:49 am

mharr wrote:Just to be clear, we have no real idea what these new compounds are, what they do, how they do it, who made them or why, and multiple doses are being issued to all field agents for recreational use on duty? Also we can't synthesise it yet so it's the goop harvested from vampire autopsies or w/e.

Jolly good, carry on.

This is actually something I wanted to talk about - we extract the Energetic Blood Plasma from cryptids and we use it either in aerosol form:

This small canister contains a solution of bioengineered agents which are applied to an open wound right on the battlefield, quickly stabilizing it and preventing further blood loss.

Or, my favorite, which is the form that all my soldiers actually use: IV BAG CAPRI-SUN FORM

Essentially we are wringing out dead cryptids for their precious juices, packing them into a capri-sun, and stabbing in the straw whenever we're all shot up.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:25 am

X-Com was founded by the UN, but funded by "the Council." We haven't really... directly interacted with the UN that much, since we started.

It's starting to seem like this Council the real seat of power for our world.

Red Dawn

The Council has warned us about a number of active cults and paramilitary factions that are known power-players in this world. We're apparently small fish in a big ol' shadow-warey pond.

We've started butting heads with them, the more active we become. A lot of groups overlapping on similar interests.

In particular, while out in the field, we encountered dozens of members of the "Red Dawn" faction. They were hostile, so the team wiped them out.

Mostly seemed to be armed with Warsaw Pact weaponry - AKs, SVDs, Scorpions, that kind of thing.

We siege some compounds, Friday ties some guys to chairs with holes cut out of the bottom, hit some balls with a pendulous bag thing, etc etc.

Of note, the SVD, this Soviet sniper rifle, absolutely kicks ass. It's become the standard-issue weapon for X-Com.

Just been parking the X-Van, handing them out to the team, going prone, and picking off goons at a distance. Then, once the numbers are thinned enough, we go in with the baseball bats.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:31 am

Things have escalated into full-out war with Red Dawn. Since I'm located in "their territory" up here in a Siberian ICBM bunker, they do not care for my work.

This has grown into a pretty beneficial relationship because I need as much SVD ammo as I can get, and I typically use less ammo killing them than I receive per mission. These are days of plenty.

The bass lets us know they've achieved a real breakthrough here with our military technology:

The fine men and women of subterranean the interrogation gulag have managed to extract the names of some key players:

After a quick extraction mission...

Manufacturing has cooked up a pretty nice little perk from all the GIANT HORRIFYING CRYPTID SPIDERS I've been killing on various outings with the XVan. After capturing, alive, one of each of the five different flavors of giant spider - Armored, Poison-Vomiting, Fire-Spitting, 20-Foot Queen, and Classic™...

...they have been able to work out a way of extracting the sweet, sweet steel-cable-strength hellweb, which makes for a great kevlar-like weave:

So, good against bullets, which will be particularly useful now that we know where the Red Dawn HQ is.

Best get to it.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:38 am

Nothing touches this skin but silk.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:08 pm

Brentai wipes ass with alien spiders.

atog

Postby atog » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:37 pm

wasn't this the entire plot for Black Widow except with cute ferrets instead of RC pigs

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:29 pm

Anyone volunteer to be the Team Dog?

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:45 pm

Since romo doesn't use the boards much anymore, I guess I can be the dog
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:12 pm

TOO LATE I made Mongrel the doge

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:39 pm

Red Dawn HQ

Landing zone seems clear, only see a few guys on the surf-

Upthorn and Zaratustra are shredded by gunfire. Still alive, bleeding out, but REAL fucked up.

Friday loads up the RPG, scores a hit, drops it to the ground, moves, Brentai picks it up, Grath underhand tosses them a rocket, they load, fire, a hit on all three, two collapse.

MONGREL THE DOG BITES THE APC UNTIL IT DIES.

Next two turns are spent throwing medpacks at everyone, getting them back on their feed, pumping them full of painkillers, yadda yadda.

Our next peek out spots 3 more APCs further in.

Friday fires off another shot.

Few turns of back and forth. Grath takes a 12mm round in the neck, spurts blood all over Brentai as he medpacks em better.

Zaratustra and Grath drop their stuff, grab RPGs, and a turn later, also start firing off RPG rockets with Friday. A few good hits in, they're all junk.

We got back to the X-Van, dump the RPGs, rearm. Loadouts are like a mix of SVDs, M60s, and auto-shotguns.

We push forward. It red dawns on me that what we're doing here is identical to what it would be like if they sieged our base - a surface assault against a buried Soviet missile silo.

We got there first!

We split up, there's two obvious points of entry - one of which has dozens of "red ops" soldiers pouring out of it!

The Nutt Busterz, led by Mongrel The Talking Dog Who Says Words By Barking, moves to secure this bunker thing to the east with all the goons.

SVDs really clear out the surface, can't get over how good these things are.

The Bussy Corps, led by Zaratustra, uses our fancy new dynamite to bust into some kind of ventilation shaft system to the north.

BussCorps drop in to the vents. Whole lotta long stretches here, with random patrols appearing at intersections. Skirmishes start breaking out, with zero room for cover. Real wild west-style shoot-first biz - SVDs surprisingly come in handy here.

On the Nuttside, Grath and Friday secure the doorway, toss in a grenade, then start picking off the remaining red ops dipshits on the staircase. Friday takes a round to the gut and just kinda keeps on keeping on.

The path clear, Mongrel busts in.

Gets to work tearing out some throats, chompin' nutz. Dogs in this mod have a really wild about of time units, since they're meant to melee everything.

Some shots out of the dark, one hits Mongrel. The rest of the Nutt Busterz start their way down. Friday gets healed by Upthorn, as Upthorn is perhaps the only man in the world who can genuinely empathize... he knows what so few know in this world... that being shot with a gun hurts super duper bad...

This place is big. Seems pretty empty too, maybe we got most of the soldiers in that initial-

Back on the Bussy, Zaratustra has reached some type of server room? A firefight erupts between us at ground level and a bunch of soldiers leaning over some railings on a second floor.

This is a hairy one. He digs in, puts his back to a server rack, and starts spraying with the M60.

Over on the Nutt Busterz front, things are going pretty bad!!!!

Mongrel is knee-deep in the dead (top-right corner), Grath and Friday come down the stairs to enter the shitshow.

Lot of mortal wounds on both at this point!!

HOLD THE LINE GOD DAMMIT

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Brentai be up here all like

BRENTAI'S FUCKING DEAD

The tide turns. As more bodies of commanding officers pile up, we see the ranks starting to fall apart. The rout has begun.

After a turn, all 16 remaining enemies surrender. We've won.

I assign a new rook the title "Brentai", and he is birthed anew.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:43 am

Mothra wrote:MONGREL THE DOG BITES THE APC UNTIL IT DIES.

Finally, all that exercising my jaw muscles pays off. Vindication!

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:40 am

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:50 am

Mothra wrote:TOO LATE I made Mongrel the doge

Okay, that's fair, Mongrel is a much better name for a dog.

Mothra wrote:Upthorn and Zaratustra are shredded by gunfire.

Just as I always imagined my role would be: shredded by gunfire on the first turn of the mission.

Okay, yes, that also feels like a very Mongrel thing to do.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

atog

Postby atog » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:56 pm

Mongrel wrote:

Finally, all that exercising my jaw muscles pays off. Vindication!

Yakety Yak.mp4

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:29 pm

i always knew i would get in a gunfight in a server room

atog

Postby atog » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:34 pm

Brentai: