Solasta: Crown of Brontos

beatbandito

Re: Solasta: Crown of Brontos

Postby beatbandito » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:56 pm

We pick back up with Hng in the bandit dungeon. This is a pretty basic tutorial, and as will become more clear in a moment, seems to have been picked due to his healer nature. There is one "encounter" that is quickly ended by some falling rocks I hit screenshot too early on.

Büge is next to tell the story of how she got to the inn.
It's dogs, she's killing dogs. Not much to mention here except the combat system seems to be mixing standard crpg combat with a bit of the new xcom games. Opportunity attacks act a bit more like overwatch, and there's disengagement as a general action. Also seems to have a cover system of some sort, but that wasn't tutorialized yet.
Oh right, she drops some stones to kill things too. It's actually double stone, she shoves a boulder onto the stone bridge, completely destroying it.

Upthorn starts their story falling down a hole into an orc camp.
as the party spellcaster, this tutorial covers lighting and using spells to light fires. Also the first taste of stealth, and the rest system.

Finally up is Smedley.
Okay so finally the lord arrives.
nah, Smedley got a tutorial too, but nothing that was worth recording. You basically turn on stealth and walk to the end of a couple hallways.

Smedley really doesn't want to cover the world's lore, but I still dive into a few questions. It's pretty generic. We haven't gotten the whole story yet, but the group will be going to some place with bad things to make it less bad.

And with that, for the first time, our party sets out as a group.

atog

Postby atog » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:14 pm

They're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Ozz \m/ x \m/
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:43 am

beatbandito wrote:It's dogs, she's killing dogs.

"So I says, 'roll over and play dead.'"

beatbandito wrote:Oh right, she drops some stones to kill things too. It's actually double stone, she shoves a boulder onto the stone bridge, completely destroying it.

"And then I was all, 'that's a bridge too far.'"

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:58 pm

beatbandito wrote:Upthorn starts their story falling down a hole into an orc camp.
upthorn wrote:Orcs? Weird. Totem. Huh.

It's good to know that I'm just as oblivious in this game as I am in real life.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:52 pm

I feel like this should get a proper burial, even though it may have seemed dead since the start. I've had the game and save on my desktop, and tried to go back a few times, but just can't make it work.

Immediately after the tutorial stuff you make a series of mostly innocuous choices that it seemed to defeat the purpose to not ask in here, but it would have been slow and grating for everyone. Finally skipping past it I started to get the feeling that most of the choices were being determined by party order and not personality, anyway. And lastly combat, while fun wihh interesting mechanic implementation, felt a bit like the recent Divinity Original Sin games. I'm not good at playing multiple characters with opposing views against each other. It's just not fun for me.

There's a ton to this game outside of the main campaign, which I barely even touched. If you're a fan of crpgs, and especially if you liked the DOS games, I think this goes on big enough sales often enough to recommend it. I just couldn't get it to work. Sorry. If there had been a way to live play it, maybe.