Solasta: Crown of Brontos

beatbandito

Solasta: Crown of Brontos

Postby beatbandito » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:57 pm

There is a crpg called Solasta: ah crap I forget the subtitle already.
The system is I'm guessing original, but feels like it's mostly cribbed from pathfinder and AD&D. In my current manic state as I start a bunch of projects, I've decided instead of just playing this I'll try to do a screenshot LP.

There is a bit more of a reason for it than that: The game doesn't seem to be centered around a hero character, but a more classic party of adventurers. And even in the little bit of the beginning I played it chose one of the generic npcs to run solo, and it seems like there will be more of the same.

So why not at least make it Brontos so it seems funnier when they do things? The first slot was already claimed by Upthorn when I was just starting a campaign and not thinking too much about the characters outside my own. But there are two more to claim by posting your choices for the following:

Race and Body Type:

Class:

Character Background, which includes the games alignment system to the right. Choose two from the top four based on your background of choice, and two from the full complement under that (open image in a tab to get full res):

And lastly a general skin and hair colors and approximate length and bushiness of any beards. Also your character's pronouns from he/she/they. I'm not getting into the finer points of the faces and hairstyles.

At some point after the first two responses I'll roll up the characters and post a picture of the group. Thereafter I will give probably small snip-its of the weirdest events or must humorous character moments instead of a full LP.

hngkong

Re: Solasta: Crown of Brontos

Postby hngkong » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:17 pm

Oh, yes please!
Human Cleric
Acolyte: Altruism and Caution, Kindness and Pragmatism
Male, he/him, average white complexion (I guess?), blue eyes, chubby?, bald with a dark brown almost black full beard but not like, wild and out of control.
If it's possible to make him a healer, almost to the point of pacifism, even better.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:23 pm

Island Halfling Rogue
Spy: Cynicism & Pragmatism, Kindness & Violence
I almost never go as a white human male in games... if you're playing let's pretend why in the hell not try different things? I'll be a she/her and gimme some kind of brown or olive complexion. Any hair length other than shaved or cropped is fine. You can do whatever you like for the rest.

EDIT: Oh hey, do the beard sliders appear regardless of gender? If so I totally want big mutton chop sideburns if that's an option.

atog

Postby atog » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:48 pm

Hill Dwarf Meathead (her/she)
Violence & Cynicism, Pragmatism & Violence (You said 'violence' twice...)

Hair: a woolly brown triangle on my head, sorta like some of the women in Dilbert comics, or rather like a mop
Eyes: beady, or even gimlet
Skin: pasty, except for farmer tan
Beard: a matching woolly brown triangle spreading out from my jaw

Military medal says "Most improved aim"

EDIT: it occurs to me the game might not let dwarven women have beards. If so I agree to be clean-shaven for the campaign.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:47 pm

beatbandito wrote:And lastly a general skin and hair colors and approximate length and bushiness of any beards. Also your character's pronouns from he/she/they. I'm not getting into the finer points of the faces and hairstyles.

Trying to decide between answering based on how I actually look or how I want to look.

I actually look like:
I want to look like:

So, y'know. Use your best judgement on what the chargen will let you do!
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:36 pm

Sylvan Elf Ranger (she/her)
Philosopher: Pragmatism and Kindness, Authority and Caution
Appearance:
⇳ Click to Expand Summary

Her graduate thesis was on whether dosing with hallucinogenic mushrooms made prey taste better.

atog

Postby atog » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:24 pm

Wait...dosing the predator, or the prey? This is important!

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:27 pm

Okay, that fills up the party slots. Buge's ranger will go with the party so I don't start trying to make my character the main one. Also: this game is a lot more early access than I noticed at first. The character creation options are quite limited. There is no bald option and other than a few very light or very dark realistic skin tones, they are pretty heavily saturated. So Mongrel's character is pretty much the exact color of an olive. But that's part of the fun.

The reason abilities and proficiencies aren't on the table is because the game is direct about which ones see absolutely no use in the current campaign. Which means pretty much everyone knows the same 5 languages and skills. And utility spells wont ever be as helpful as you might hope.

Already missed a good screenshot opportunity with Mongrel's character creation. There's a dice roll option for attributes, which means I've been rolling up minimum 10 with two 18s for everyone, and without much time sunk into it. Except Mongrel. It took probably as many rolls as the other three characters I had made together to get to a decent spread, and along the way there was an all 10s roll. I regret not choosing that.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:28 pm

Oh man, I woulda been all over seeing that.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:20 pm

We have our party.

There's optional last names, so we have Hng Kong and Smedley D. Butler. I'm getting the feeling they don't get used much or at all in game though, so Upthorn and Büge are probably better off for it.

Game background is that there were elves and everything was cool, then there was a cataclysm and humans showed up with crappy stuff like monsters. Story background is:

We start with Upthorn, Smedley, and Büge at the table talking about how IT'S NOT A KINK, CAN'T PROVE IT as Hng shows up.

Hng was the chosen character in this run for the tutorial. He explains that bandits on the road ambushed him and for some reason decided to throw him in a dungeon. With that we transition into the tutorial...

I'm realizing my main monitor has really high brightness. I'll adjust in-game settings to hopefully make screenshots more visible in the future.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:29 pm

Only screenshot I've found difficult to view on any device so far is the last one, which looks maybe washed out with too-high brightness?
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:41 pm

beatbandito wrote:We have our party.
We start with Upthorn, Smedley, and Büge at the table talking about how IT'S NOT A KINK, CAN'T PROVE IT as Hng shows up.

Thank you for that, I love that video.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:22 am

I was too slow, but Mongrel already took my Island Halfling Rogue. I maintain I am much more halfling-pirate than Mongrel is.

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:29 pm

*types long post full of excuses*
*remembers I picked 'violence'*
*grabs a chair instead*

"You and me [edited]! Let's go!"

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:50 pm

If you claim to be more of a halfling then you're already less of a halfling.

atog

Postby atog » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:39 pm

>throw Smedley

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:10 pm

Kill Jester.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:56 pm

Brentai wrote:Kill Jester.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:35 pm

I said kill Jester.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:31 pm

NGL lie I did not consider the Animal Crossing update when I started this, so it's probably gonna be a while.