What was planted in faith? Let's not Dig Up in Terraria!

nosimpleway

What was planted in faith? Let's not Dig Up in Terraria!

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:11 am

Wait, didn't I already do a Terraria LP?

Well... yeah. My PC at the time couldn't run Minecraft, so I tried the next best thing. Now I can run Minecraft but don't get it, all the game's little quirks and foibles, so Terraria's the one I know. Anyway, that LP was long enough ago that it was on the fossilized forums, and like all of my LPs on the old forums, all the images are broken. And while previous LP threads have petered out on account of lack of time to update them, Terraria is story-light enough that I should be able to manage. Besides, I'm unemployed now, not like I'm hurting for free time like I used to be.

Anyway.

Terraria just released another content update in version 1.4, and with it, a seed that makes the game seem interesting enough to give another spin. It turns the whole game on its head, quite literally. The special world seed is called "Don't Dig Up", and despite that being good advice in building games like this (and originating, oddly, from Minecraft), Digging Up is the whole idea. You start in Terraria's version of hell, with the ash and the lava and so on, and the goal is to mine upwards through the world until you reach the cool stuff now located on the surface.

What else is new? Well, I dunno, I'm going into this rusty at the game and blind at what's in this particular game update. Let's find out in Don't Dig Up!

Contents:
Part 1: In Deep
Part 2: Spicy As Hell
Part 3: Up To My Eyes, in Slime
Part 4: The Beast That Shouted "Dynamite" At the Heart Of The World
Part 5: Mind Goblin
Part 6: Run Like Stink
Part 7: To Hell, And Back Again
Part 8: The Misadventures of Tron, Bone
Part 9: Falling Up
Part 10: Got A Honey On The Side
Part 11: feesh
Part 12: HOW DID YOU GET PAST THE MEAT THAT IS WALLS?
Part 13: It Is Jelloy
Part 14: Boss Rush
Part 15: Vulgar Display of Flower
Part 16: We'll Grind That Axe For a Long Time
Part 17: On The Wings of a Blackbird
Part 18: Spooky Season
Part 19: Three Bosses at the Same Time, Man
Part 20: Winter, Wrap-Up
Part 21: Peaking Postgame
Part 22: Tower Defense
Part 23: Another World of Beasts
Part 24: This is Not The Greatest Upside-Down Castle In The World. This Is Merely a Tribute

nosimpleway

Re: What was planted in faith? Let's not Dig Up in Terraria!

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:13 am

Terraria's a fullscreen game, so images are going to be cropped to unusual and inconsistent sizes so the forum CSS doesn't automatically scale them down to fit in the window. Maybe if you're curious about details you can click on an image to see it full-sized? I dunno, I didn't design the forum software.

As promised, the earlygame hell of Terraria is made quite literal. There's nothing but featureless ash beneath my feet, and I'm pretty sure if I dug straight down, all I'd find is more ash before the impenetrable bottom of the map. In a mercy, Don't Dig Up includes ash trees to provide wood for earlygame crafting, and the only monsters spawning around are lava slimes. Which are more dangerous than non-lava slimes in vanilla seeds, but a lot less dangerous than the demons, imps, bone worms, and other midgame critters that show up in vanilla seed hell.

I still start with a copper shortsword, a copper pickaxe, and a copper axe. A new feature of the latest update: shortswords no longer poke out straight ahead from the player character, they poke in the direction of the onscreen cursor, meaning they can be aimed. If a slime is about to jump on your head, you can jab straight up to knock it away. Previously, only spears could do that kind of thing.

Eventually I run out of ash to walk on, and a lake of lava is about as dangerous to swim in as you'd expect it to be. So I box myself in using some planks of ash wood I've picked up, hew a few more into a workbench, and get started on making stuff out of... well, out of ash wood and ash blocks and the gel that the slimes drop. There's not much.

As the lava slimes slosh up to the door of my little wooden closet, I vaguely remember something about slimes having trouble staying on wooden platforms. So I dig a pit for them to fall into and make a wooden platform bridge for myself. As you can see from this picture, I'm either misremembering slime behavior or they've been updated to be more formidable. I did have enough time to get some barebones furnishings in the shed, and to craft some wooden armor for myself. Ash wood armor, it turns out, reduces the damage taken from falling in lava. That's sure to be helpful!

It takes a frankly absurd amount of time to get the Lava Slimes off my nuts enough to do much else than fight Lava Slimes. Discovery: there's no meaningful day/night cycle this deep underground, even in the Don't Dig Up seed. Nighttime is a difficulty spike in vanilla seeds, to the point that finding any shelter before the sun goes down for the first time can be kind of difficult.

Since there's only so much I can craft out of hellwood, I'm going to climb upwards and see if I can't find any iron deposits in the ceiling. I also start a little block of apartments for NPCs, since recruiting those is still probably a major factor in the game even starting in hell.

Then I fall through my stairs and into the lava lake and die. Ash wood armor doesn't provide all that much protection against lava.

If I had the ability to make a bed, I could set my spawn wherever I wanted. Until I do that, it's back to the middle of the map each time I die. At least walking back to the lava lake I have a chance to chop down some more ash trees, since I'd run out of wood.

NPCs have standards for where they live. A house has to have a place to rest, a flat surface of some sort, a light source, and a filled-in back wall before anyone can move in. Having taken my freshly-felled lumber and made some decent apartments, a new NPC has already moved in: the Merchant.

As you might expect, the Merchant has an inventory of items he can sell, and will purchase items spare items from me for cash.

The top-right apartment is reserved for the Tax Collector, who apparently is the starting NPC for Don't Dig Up seeds instead of the Guide. The bottom-left apartment is empty -- it's a pretty good idea to have a spare house in case you meet the qualifications to have an NPC move in while you're away from your home base.

There's a little bit of iron to the right of the new apartments, but it looks like there's better stuff to the left. So up I go, into the first new biome I've found. I started in hell, and right above it is a Glowing Mushroom biome. As you can see, the moss and mushrooms that grow here emit a little bit of light. The glowing mushrooms make good potion ingredients, once I have the ability to craft potions.

The Glowing Mushroom biome also starts spawning enemies I'd have seen by now on the surface in a vanilla seed, including Slimes that aren't made of lava, Zombies, and flying Demon Eyes. There are still lava pools here and there from being this far underground, including one that I drained away through the channel on the left side of this screenshot to reach this deposit of iron.

While I was mushrooming, the Guide moved into the spare apartment I built. The Guide gives generic advice, mostly about how to recruit other NPCs anymore. But more importantly, he has a feature where you can show him an item in your inventory and he'll tell you everything that can be made out of that item. I'd forgotten how to make a Furnace to smelt the iron ore I've found into usable ingots, so I had to ask him about a hunk of stone for him to remind me of the recipe. Some wood, some stone, and three torches. I don't remember torches being a factor, so maybe that's a new change.

With a smelter and an anvil I can start making stuff out of iron -- start with a better pickaxe for quicker digging, a better axe for quicker chopping, a steel sword to replace the wooden one I'd been using, and some sturdier armor.

Behind me, hanging from the ceiling of the hallway I'm in, is a Lava Slime Banner. You are awarded a banner for a particular monster after defeating 50 of them. I earned this one before I even built the wooden stairway. I've been fighting Lava Slimes for a while.

The map so far. The green arrow at left is my starting spawn, the faces floating on the right side are the current position of all known characters -- me and the three NPCs, all bunched into our tiny barely-furnished wooden apartment building oddly hovering over a lake of lava. Above is the Glowing Mushroom cavern I'd briefly poked into looking for iron to start with.

Right now the to-do list is the usual earlygame Terraria chores: expand the NPC housing so others can move in, meet the qualifications to get other NPCs to move in, explore the map for new biomes and new materials.
As is typical for crafting-centric games, there's a hierarchy of building material quality. Earlygame Terraria starts with stuff like wood, then copper or tin, then iron or lead, and a few more real-world elements to make weapons and armor out of before getting into weird fantasy stuff. I forget exactly what comes next, above iron. I think it's silver? Unless I find a big vein of tin ore I can't possibly do worse than what I've got.
It'd be pretty cool if I could find a hook or some gems, since the next mobility upgrade is a grappling hook, and I've got the iron chains for that already.

But hey, it's a game about pulling up terrain, strip-mining anything of value that can be found, and building stuff for myself. What kind of massive project should I undertake? What should I build?

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:43 am

a castle but upside-down

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:48 am

Tricky, given that furniture can't flip over and stick to the ceiling, but I'll see what I can do. I guess I owe you guys after the Sims 4 LP.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:11 pm

I have also gotten back into Terraria. Nothing fancy, just my first time back since like, maybe 1.0. So I'm relearning in a basic seed. The very full inventory UI and The Guide being the main source for information on what to do or how to do it makes for a kind of shitty solo start, but I've gotten pretty sunk into it.

Most helpful tips that were new to me:
- Platinum is the only ore that matters for tools. It's the first major speed upgrade, and lowest tier that expands the types of materials the pick can go through. Save tungsten for armor.
- The banners marking each home's resident need to be 25 units from each other now, to get the npcs to stop complaining. I don't know if it actually impacts how they act or if they can leave.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:58 pm

I tried to hang an NPC ownership banner in the first little closet I built. There's a minimum size requirement now, too. People would just huck all their NPCs into teensy slumlord-style rooms barely big enough to hold the furniture necessary to qualify as a house, and I guess the devs didn't care for it.

Good rule of thumb is that when you get a new material, upgrade your digging tool first.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:20 pm

Keeping monsters out of the NPC housing area is a problem. Getting in through a ground-level door is easy, but zombies can open them sometimes and stronger monsters all of the time, so issue #1 with building a house is having some sort of unusual way to get in and out that monsters can't use.

So I start tearing down the stairs and platform leading into the floating apartment building.

I then accidentally press down, fall through the directionally-solid platform, fall in the lava, and die.

Uh, twice.

Having an entrance on the very bottom of the building means that slimes and zombies can't jump in, but flying enemies can manage.

Best solution I can think of: trap door. To my knowledge no mob in the game can open them, just me. As long as I remember to close it behind me everyone should be safe. Er, up until teleporting monsters start showing up.

A piggy bank is for more than just keeping money in, you can use it as extra storage that can be accessed easily from elsewhere. Every piggy bank has the same contents, no matter where it's put.

Until I can make use of that kind of functionality, I just use it to keep coins in. That way when I fall into lava and half my money comes out it isn't immediately vaporized.

Housing momentarily more secure, it's time to head off and see what I can find.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:27 pm

First thing: some topazesezes in a nearby tunnel. As I dig them out I get a notification that the Traveling Merchant has shown up, so I head back to the apartments.

T. Merch carries stuff of varying utility, but useful or not, it doesn't matter. I can't afford anything I'd want.

But conveniently I found exactly fifteen topazesezesezes, so I can make my first grappling hook. I don't even need those chains I made, for some reason.

The grapple throws out a hook on a chain, and if the hook hits a solid block, it reels itself in until I'm stuck to the wall. Or ceiling. I mentioned before it's the first major mobility upgrade to be had.

Well, more or less. Being able to pull up any block and put it down wherever I want means getting around is usually just a matter of patience. If there's a pool of lava, for instance, I can just use all these mud blocks I've been digging through to make a bridge. So I guess a grappling hook is the first major timesaver, by virtue of being a mobility upgrade.

It's hard to tell, but that little dot of lava is surrounded by water. Where water meets lava, it forms a block of Obsidian. Obsidian is good crafting material to have, it certainly would be this early in the game, but my dinky little Iron Pickaxe can't dig it up.

I'm still in the Glowing Mushroom biome, but if Ice Slimes are spawning I must be near a Snow biome.

Not far from there I see actual grass, and a tree that isn't from the depths of hell or actually a giant mushroom. So there's a plain ol' regular "Underground" biome around here, too.

In vanilla, grass and trees don't grow underground -- at least I don't think they do -- so really what I'm expecting is the surface grassland biome, that just happens to be a mile below ground because I'm in the kind of seed that allows for that kind of thing.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:39 pm

The Topaz Hook does make it a lot easier to dig out channels and drainage for little lava pools I find in my way.

I find a chest, and among the loot inside are a handful of grenades. With an explosive in my inventory, the Demolitionist is slated to move in any minute now.

Well, onward. And upward.

WHAARRRRGARRBHLL

I dig my way into my first pocket of subterranean water, and given that it's surrounded by snow and ice blocks I'm sure it's pretty damned unpleasant to have it wash directly over me as it flows away. But as you may have gathered from my initial forays above a lake of lava, convection and temperature aren't really a concern in Terraria. Hypothermia isn't going to be a problem.

Which is good, because I soon find the bottom of an underground lake, and the water flows down into the caves I just climbed up and across. If you look at the bottom a bit of the lava I drained earlier has been converted into Obsidian.

Draining the lake makes it a lot easier to get this underwater chest without having to worry about drowning.

Uh, it's pretty dark, huh? Believe me, there's a chest at the bottom of that little pool.

Inside is a Blizzard in a Bottle, an accessory that gives me a double-jump. It takes me a while to remember I have the damned thing and start double-jumping around.

I found a Teal Mushroom somewhere, which is used to make dye in a dye vat. Just like finding an explosive means the Demolitionist moves in to start selling you more bombs, finding a dye ingredient has some Dye Guy move in and start selling stuff to make dyes. Right now that's just the Dye crafting station and the silver and brown dyes, but it's not like changing the color of my gear is super important anyway.

WHHHARRRRGGGARRRBL that's brisk

The game seems a lot, uh, darker than I remember it being when I LPed it the first time. Maybe I just spent more time on the surface in natural sunlight.

Anyway, that little blip off on the lower-right corner isn't just particle effects, or a bit of phosphorescent moss. It's a fairy! Fairies lead to treasure, and earn you the "Hey! Listen!" achievement. Because of course they do.

This fairy very helpfully leads me to the chest that had the Blizzard in a Bottle inside. So, mental note: Fairies can lead to empty chests. Once I find a chest and loot what's inside, go ahead and take the chest too, to make sure fairies lead me to something I haven't seen before.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:47 pm

Lighting woes are only going to get worse now that I'm out of the biomes that helpfully provide glowing magma and flourescent moss.

Torches don't work underwater, but Glowsticks do. They're pretty common to find in chests, and Jellyfish often drop them.

Hey, a minecart track. I forgot those were a thing.

Tracks that are placed during world generation don't necessarily lead anywhere in particular, but they're often pretty long through open caverns and tunnels, so chances of finding something along the tracks are pretty good. I don't have a minecart to ride in, but I got feet.

In this case it leads to a ruined underground cabin. I can pick up some of the furniture inside, and the chest has a pair of Ice Skates. The Skates are kind of a pain, since I move marginally faster on ice but not any other kind of block, and the inconsistent movement speed is a bit jarring to deal with.

Finally. Terraria doesn't have experience levels or anything like that, so if you want more HP you have to find one of these Life Crystals, pick it up, and... use it? Eat it? Whatever, it increases my maximum HP by 20.

The underground cabin also had a Loom, so I can spin the Cobwebs I've been picking up into Silk, and use that Silk to make bedsheets. With a Bed, I can set my initial spawn and respawn point, so now when I die I'll start in the apartment instead of at the middle of the world map.

T. Merch shows up again, carrying with him the customized outfit designed for one of the developer's friends/beta testers. I can afford it now, but couldn't care less about this kind of thing.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:02 pm

Now that I remember they exist, I make myself a mine cart and a batch of tracks to put down. Now I can make an express railway across the bottom of the map, since that's all wide open space. Minecarts are pretty fast, once they get going!

Eventually the ashen ground drops off, and shortly after that, I start spotting vanilla-game Hell spawns.

I guess that answers something I was wondering about, since vanillagame requires a couple visits to Hell for gear, a couple new kinds of material, and a new kind of furnace that can handle the exotic fantasy materials. Was that stuff in Don't Dig Up Hell, or was it all moved up to the surface to make it as hard to get to as hell normally is in vanilla? Turns out only the middle of the map is a relatively-safe hell, and the further you go, the more dangerous the stuff that shows up is.

I can't scratch these demons with my current weaponry -- still literally one upgrade from starting gear, remember -- and they can pretty easily tear me apart with their magic. I spotted a couple deposits of... Demonite? I think is the material down here? ore and I wanted to see if I could break them loose with some of the explosives I've found, but with this Demon constantly on my ass I don't have a chance. We'll come back to this later.

What kind of tree is this? It looks pretty odd.

Turns out it's an Amber tree. In that it drops several pieces of Amber and an Amber Acorn when I cut it down. Weird.

I guess Amber is just fossilized tree sap, so... a really, really, really old tree?

A sunflower. They normally grow on the surface, natch. This really is a "surface grassland, but underground" biome.

And yeah, Sunflowers glow in the dark. They also reduce monster spawns.

Carry a torch while you minecart down tracks you find, otherwise you'll be going through pitch darkness. You don't need a weapon, since running into a monster with the minecart will typically splatter it.

While I was building the track through hell, I managed to fall off past where I'd built. I landed on a Lava Slime and killed it. The minecart doesn't even need to be on tracks to kill stuff, if you play your cards right.

Welp, inventory's full. Guess I'll head back. Refine the ores into bars, stash the stuff I'll need later...

Having the minecart track across the entire bottom of the map, I know I can get back to the apartment quickly once I'm back down at the bottom. So all I've got to do is dig down, and occasionally anchor some more rope to make sure I can get back to where I was.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:26 pm

In another chest I find a new kind of weapon. The "mace" spins around the player character before zipping out to the length of its chain, slightly longer than pictured. The windup, throwing out, and reeling in can all hit and damage monsters, though the windup has drastically reduced damage. Stuff like Demon Eyes I can usually hit both going out and coming back, so even though the damage output is lacking (thanks somewhat to that randomly-generated -11% penalty) I use it for a while.

Nice, another Life Crystal. Five Fallen Stars make make a Mana Crystal for +20 magic, and in vanilla they're kind of hard to find since they literally fall out of the sky, at random, at nighttime on the surface. Now they spawn in pots and chests, and monsters keep dropping them, so I've already got maximum mana. My HP, by comparison, is way behind.

I find a Cloud in a Bottle, granting another midair jump. I can do a triple now. While wearing Ice Skates, which sounds pretty difficult.

The Red Slime in this picture, when killed, will drop the Fallen Star that can be seen inside its translucent body. But I'm not going to, because that thing up there at the top? With the green life bar and the big bitey chompy jaws?

That is a Mimic.

Mimics are normally hardmode spawns.

I am running for my life.

With the Mimic off my tail, I find myself back near a lava pool near a bit of water. It having occurred to me to try to harvest Demonite with explosives earlier, I go ahead and combine the lava and water to make Obsidian, then blow the Obsidian loose with bombs to collect it.

On the way back to the apartments I find that having a weapon that returns at a set speed, combined with moving really really fast, results in the flail chain getting stree e e e e e tched out.

I have no idea who the "Zoologist" is, or what prompted her to move in. Seems like she has a thing for summoned monsters and animal-themed cosmetic gear.

I guess this is where I'd specialize a summoner build, IF I HAD ONE seriously I've maxed out my MP despite having zero things that consume MP at my disposal

I found a Whoopie Cushion while I was out. Checking with the Guide, I can use it to make a Fart in a Jar (which presumably stacks with the Blizzard and Cloud in their Bottles, or would if it didn't consume the Cloud iaB in the first place) and... the Fart Kart. A toilet minecart.

I remember in my first LP rolling my eyes at the realization that all the female NPCs get irritable during the "Blood Moon" event. Seems the devs' sense of humor hasn't changed at all in ten years.

"So if going left until the ash blocks runs out means you're in Vanillagame Hell instead of seed-specific Relatively Safe Hell, does that mean walking all the way over to the lava pool on the right mean I'm right on the border of Vanillagame Hell on this side?"

Yes, if this Fire Imp spawn is any indication. Fire Imps are a regular Hell spawn, teleporting around and hucking fireballs. Directly into the apartments, in this case. The nearby NPCs do absolutely nothing to preserve their own lives, or mine. I eventually kill the damn thing, since dying in the central hallway just moves me to my bed spawn off in one of the rooms to the side and I can immediately resume attacking it.

So I guess my first project next time is to move the NPC housing somewhere that isn't quite so dangerous.

The map, as it stands. Lots of Boring Hell at the bottom, surrounded on both sides by Spicy Hell. Immediately above, a lot of Glowing Mushrooms. Top-right includes a Snow biome, top-center is the Surface But Not biome. You can pretty easily pick out where the three minecart tracks are, since they're more or less directly left-to-right explored areas without a whole lot else around them.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:50 am

Not helpful to you now, but for future reference: You can ride tracks without a minecart. It'll just give you the default appearance one automatically.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:39 pm

I went to look for a full brightness mod so the screencaps I'm getting aren't so damn dark and hard to make out details on. The only ones I can find are full-on cheat mods, where you can make yourself invincible and spawn any item you want and oh yeah, also turn on the lights. I might expect a brightness mod to work after a version upgrade, but I'm sure anything as extensive as a full cheat got completely broken by the move to version 1.4. So things are still pretty dark. Sorry, not much I can do.

Well, I bought a Miner's Helmet with a built-in lightbulb, so at the very least my own player character is well-lit. That makes things a little better.

The mission is still to find somewhere safer than the border between Boring Hell and Spicy Hell to build NPC housing and a base. I could probably just move it to the middle of Boring Hell, since the worst thing to worry about there are Lava Slimes, but I don't know what happens to Boring Hell in Hardmode. I suspect at the very least it's brought up to the level of Spicy Hell, with the teleporting imps and flying demons shooting sickles of magic everywhere, so I'm not going to build there.

The surface is usually the safest place in vanilla, but in Don't Dig Up it's supposedly a lot more dangerous. I haven't found it yet, anyway.

There's that "surface but underground" biome (which I really need to find a better name for) and that seems like my best bet. Let's find a good place to set up a base there, hollow it out, and see what we can come up with. First thing is to take that makeshift elevator shaft I dug and extend it upwards, see what's above the tiny foray I've made into the Surface biome.

I make the occasional detour to pick up ores for raw materials later, but with a full loadout of iron equipment now I gotta admit it doesn't feel as lucrative as it did. And tin was never all that useful a find.

In any event, careful where you swing that pickaxe! Sometimes one wrong move means the only block separating you from a lava bath is destroyed.

I found an guidebook that teaches how to spin Vine Ropes from vines I can cut down, which is a weird addition and only gets an accessory slot because I haven't found anything else. I'm still wearing Ice Skates despite not being anywhere around snow or ice, too. Maybe there's a game mode or world seed where it's useful? But "Man, I wish this game wasn't so goddamn stingy with rope" is one of those "Said no Terraria player, ever" things. I've got several hundred throwable Rope Coils, and those are made from ten regular ropes apiece.

Don't recognize you. This animate garden statue just runs around and tries to tackle the player, so it's not too hard to deal with. Kind of a pain with Demon Eyes or other tougher enemies about, but that goes for just about anything.

This is a Sapphire tree. Chopping it down gives me several Sapphires and some regular stone, just like the last one gave me Amber. Later on I find trees for Topaz and Emerald too, so apparently they're just not all that rare or special. Each one drops at least one gem-themed acorn so I can plant a new tree (assuming I figure out where they grow, haven't seen any pattern to it yet), and I think I can make more gem acorns by combining gems and regular acorns at some workstation or another.

WHHHAARRRRRRGARRRBL wait is that a lava bath why am I not burned to a crisp already

It's not lava, just red water. The first LP had "Corruption", a sort of rot-and-decay themed biome with nasty monsters inside, and everything was tinted purple. This world has a different Evil biome in the "Crimson", which is, uh, meatier. It's all blood and gore and ichor, and as you might imagine, everything is tinted red.

Somewhere off to the left of the Surface biome is the Crimson. I have no idea where, I never found it. I only ever got close enough that the music changed to the Evil biome music, the water turned red, and the occasional gore-themed monster spawned.

(Edit with the advantage of knowledge gleaned later: This isn't being near the Crimson. This is the first Blood Moon event in the game. I must have missed the alert that it was happening.)

Like this one. Not the Demon Eye, despite what the text said. That thing below the Demon Eye that looks like a blood-dripping meatball is a Crimson biome Blood Moon monster called a Drippler.

Ah, I've been here before. Those purple torches are Mushroom Torches that I found coming through the Giant Mushroom biome, and planted here and there in order to see what the hell was going on.

I found an Emerald cache in the wall right when another little blue fairy showed up and started waving me off in a different direction.

"Where are we going, little guy? Wait, are fairies gendered at all? Little... buddy? Where are we headed little buddy?"

"Oh, nice, gold chest. Thanks for thi--"

KABOOM
Lesson learned: sometimes fairies are dicks.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:07 pm

Take a close look at the screenshot before the explosion, and you can see a couple sticks of dynamite hidden in the ground underneath the chest. Only coming back later did I find that there was also a boulder trap in the ceiling above, and two dart traps on the left that are still active and shot me with a poison dart when I tried to open the chest again.

Okay. So let's pull up the dart traps and try again. Inside the chest is some common loot and a Magic Mirror, which teleports me back to my spawn point -- in this case, my bed in the apartments. I will begrudgingly admit that the trap was guarding something worthwhile, that's a good find.

Digging up the chest so that no other fairies try to point me to it reveals it is explicitly a "Dead Man's Chest", which explains the achievement I got for exploding myself on its traps.

The Magic Mirror is a nice find, which is not to say I don't find another one shortly afterward, in a much less dangerous spot.

Following another set of mine tracks, I find myself in an underground Desert biome.

Yo dawg I heard you liked spikes so I put spikes on your spikes so you can spike spikey spikey spike spike.

I never know how much to really explain about game mechanics for the benefit of people who have never played the game before. Like, if you haven't played, do you care? How much detail is relevant and how much gets glossed over looking for the next time a fairy leads me to vaporizing myself on a trapped chest?
Equipment in Terraria can be generated with a prefix, and prefixed items have bonuses or penalties to what they do. In this case, the "Spiked" prefix means the item gives a little damage boost, even if it's not an item that normally deals damage by itself, it helps out whatever weapon I happen to hit with. The flail I found earlier was "Damaged", and came with a penalty to the amount of damage it did. When I last played the top strat was to try to land "Warding" on all four of the accessories you had equipped, for +4 defense each, which added up to a significant amount of damage resistance against endgame monsters.
The prefix assigned to an item is based on the effect, and has nothing to do with the item itself. Hence, Spiked Shoe Spikes. I wonder if there's a Forceful Balloon anywhere.

Shoe Spikes, prefixed or not, let me stick to walls and slowly slide down them/jump off them like Mega Man X. If I have both Climbing Claws and Shoe Spikes, I can stick to walls without sliding. They're better than the Ice Skates and "make vines into ropes" book, but they're also gonna get replaced pretty soon.

Pinky is an uncommon spawn. It's a slightly tougher slime, suffers extra knockback so it's kind of annoying to kill unless you can corner it, and drops at least one gold when it dies. Compared to the mere pennies dropped by most slimes, that's a lot!

Another Cloud in a Bottle, pictured here is the second of three I've found. You can't equip two of the same things, but I can turn this one into a Fart In A Jar with the Whoopie Cushion I talked about before, and equip the Cloud, Blizzard, and Fart all at once for three midair jumps.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:52 pm

Where was I? Oh yes. The desert.

Mostly the desert. I'm trying to skirt the edge of the biome to figure out about how far into the grassy greens and trees is safe from the hazards of the desert area.

Because there are periodic gusty windstorms through the desert caves. This would be a needless pain in the ass to deal with while building a structure of any significant size.

You might think the windstorm wouldn't have any effect underwater. You would be wrong. I'm still moved slowly to the right despite being fully submerged.

The only thing unusual about this tree is its foliage. It drops regular wood and acorns, not gems.

Through some combination of scouting for a couple hours and "fuck it, good enough", I settle on a cavern that shouldn't be too tedious to hollow out for building space. It's near the rope elevator I've dug out for vertical travel, which of course means I can travel horizontally across the map by dropping down to hell and riding the minecart. I have no idea how far from the surface I am, but maybe I can expand mine tracks left and right from this cavern to get around the map quickly. That's a project for another day, right now I just need "houses, not in hell", not a transit hub.

Crap

The Eye of Cthulhu is the first "major" boss to show up. It's possible to get one of the other two to show up first, but you're more likely to find enough life extensions to spawn Eye of Cthulhu before you find the entrance to the dungeon or start un-defiling the Evil biomes (which spawn the other two).

Eye of Cthulhu floats around, trying to do contact damage, and periodically spawns, er, Spawn of Cthulhu. Which are pretty much just Demon Eyes by another name. I needed an excuse to use up all these Throwing Knives I'd picked up, and this is a pretty darn good one.

The only real issue with Eye of Cthulhu is that I do like 25, 30 damage with a critical hit, with either the Throwing Knives or the Superior Mace I picked up somewhere. It has, as you can see, 2800 HP. This takes a while.

The second thing approaching an issue with the Eye of Cthulhu is that the right thumbstick on my controller is dirty or damaged and doesn't take inputs properly. Fighting normal mobs it's not much of a problem, but against a boss monster the inability to quickly and accurately aim my attacks is, uh, not good.

Around half health, Ee-oh-See stops making mooks, grows a fanged maw out of its iris, and starts ramming. Eventually I work out that if I hold the button down after throwing out the Mace, I can get the morningstar head to sit on the ground. It still does contact damage, so it becomes something of a bullfight to get the Eye to charge at me and clip through the head of the weapon while I jump over it.

It's not fast, but it's quicker and easier than trying to land Mace hits properly.

Really? I just beat the first boss, and you think you can take me, Goblin Scout? Get outta here.

Almost immediately afterward the King Slime spawns out of nowhere, stuck in a corner where it can't hop around, and doing continual contact damage to me so that I'm knocked back into the corner and can't escape.

f u u u u u u u c c c c k k

y o o o u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u u

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:11 am

The Dryad moves in when you beat the first of the three major bosses. With Eye of Cthulhu down, here she is. She sells grassy decorations and seeds.

The Eye dropped some Crimtane Ore, which is mineable out of the Crimson (hence the name). I can't make anything all that great out of it yet, because I need Tissue Samples, which I'm pretty sure are also found in the Crimson. And I haven't yet found the Crimson.

Another thing I can make is a Don't Starve cross-reference, I guess.

As I recall the Deerclops's's's whole thing in Don't Starve is that it smashes all the walls an structures and buildings and stuff you've managed to build. Why would I go out of my way to make that happen in Terraria? It'd be Aground all over again, and fuck that.

Now that's an upgrade. That's about twice the damage output of my Superior Mace, and finally gives me something to do with all that MP I've accumulated.

"It seems to be broken" in the description seems to mean the beam does some weird shit after I've pkang pkang pkanged at something. The laser will sometimes disappear, reappear behind me and fly off in a random direction, or slow down to the approximate speed of a grandmother-piloted Buick while still doing damage to anything that wanders into it.

Have we not had enough holdups yet, christ

Blood Moon events make enemies spawn all over, constantly, and the enemies that appear are stronger. I just teleport home and spend most of the "night" -- not that I can see what time of day it is -- inside where enemies can't reach.

Standing a bit to the right means the walking critters try to match my X position and end up walking into the lava. Can't do much about the flying stuff, though.

It's kind of dull to just stand around and wait -- I literally got up and made a sandwich while the game ran. Eventually I pop out of the roof hatch, pkang pkang pkang the flying enemies from reasonable safety, and drop down to the ground to pkang pkang pkang the various terrestrial creatures beneath.

Pictured: the inevitable "semprini myew" at the end of my pkang pkang pkang. The Zapinator doesn't fire fast enough that two lasers should be onscreen at the same time, but both of those did the aforementioned weird stuff. Both of those lasers, now traveling in radically different directions, are moving slower than walking speed. The zombies keep spawning at the left side, trying to walk into me, and die from laser damage as they walk into the beam.

It might be hard to tell while I'm in hell, where everything is tinted red from the lava and ash, but eventually the red filter overlay indicating Blood Moon goes away, and I start seeing the occasional Lava Slime instead of shittons of zombies and Dripplers. Time to go get back to work.

The rest of my time spent playing is just digging, mostly through areas I've seen before. Monster events and bosses manage to stay off my nuts for about an hour while I clear out the cavern, so nothing happens worth reporting, except the fairy.

All the fairies I've seen so far have been blue, and led me to a treasure chest or HP expansion. This one is pink, hovers around me doing nothing in particular, and eventually just leaves. I dunno.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:33 pm

Digging took a long time. I hadn't quite solidified my plans for how to put things together, so I was a bit excessive in hollowing out a place to build.

Some weird stuff happened in the meantime, like slimes floating by on balloons.

I also found an angry flower. It attacks by spitting little floaty seeds.

Whenever I saw this stuff I thought it was meat-moss indicating that the Crimson was nearby, but I guess sometimes moss is just red. We're god-knows-how-far underground, stands to reason the plants wouldn't have chlorophyll. That's the kind of verisimilitude we come to expect from Terraria.

Like a full day of real time later I actually start building. Previous versions had a Ruler as an equip that let you measure how far things were from your player character, but now it's something you can just toggle on and off.

There's also a quality-of-life feature that fills in background walls in enclosed spaces without having to go over every spot with the cursor.

Dirt and mud can be used to build structures, but I'd rather use something that actually looks like building material. Two stone blocks turn into a single Gray brick block, and a couple chunks of clay turn into a Red Brick block. Each Red Brick in turn can turn into four pieces of Red Brick Wall for the background.

I have tons of stone to work with and have about a thousand Gray Bricks left over when I have the main structure put together, but I haven't had the chance to pick up quite as much clay. I run out of background walls and have to wander off in search of more clay.

Hmm, a chest! Why don't we open it and see!

Nah, fool me once. Look off to the right, and you'll see the Dart launcher. And up above, a series of boulders that are set to fall through the ceiling and squoosh me.

So I dig up the dart trap, and climb up and around to get to the boulders from the side where they can't fall on my head.

This is when I learned that hitting a boulder from the side makes it start rolling, and does the same amount of damage that way as it does falling from above.

The prize in the chest, it turns out, was another Cloud in a Bottle.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:09 pm

Wooden Arrows, which are abundant from jars and chests, do what you'd expect. Combined with a Fallen Star, which are abundant from jars and slimes, they make Jester's Arrows, which explode into a spray of sparkly confetti when they strike a surface. Having a spray of light sources pierce a wall lets you see a little deeper into it than the two-block-or-so visual range you normally get.

Sometimes you can see through walls by virtue of zombies helpfully carrying torches around.

And sometimes something just glows naturally. Blinkroots are plants that glow in the dark, lava and pretty much everything in a Mushroom biome emit light, and these eyeball-covered meat altars give of a sinister red glow.

Eventually my exploration yields fruit, and by fruit I mean a particular kind of soil. I head back to the construction zone to fire the bricks and put up the rest of the walls, and --

Fucking shit would you leave me alone?

While I build, and time goes by, T. Merch shows up a couple of times. I check in to see if there's anything I want, and find that some of his items are prohibitively expensive. A platinum coin is 100 gold coins, a gold coin is 100 silver coins, and a silver is 100 copper pennies.

...okay, I can splurge on a vanity set of clothes.

With the new structure up, walled in, and furnished, NPCs have started moving out. Like some sort of moron I made a structure with eight apartments even though I already had ten NPCs in the world to house, so two of them haven't had a chance to leave.

Also, right side of this shot, a scary spookum

Having made everyone a two-floor apartment, I find it is often the case that there are enough lights, flat surfaces, and comfort items on both levels that each one qualifies as its own house. So while I figure out how I want to expand, people can room with one another for a little while.

Having to do this reminds me of a mechanic to the game I'd forgotten about: NPC Happiness.

The living situation they find themselves in determines how happy an NPC is. NPCs who run shops -- which is most of them -- cut their prices and buy for more cash when they're happy. The Tax Collector collects more money to give me. And so on. I think the Guide is the only one who isn't altered at all by how happy he is, since his advice is always free anyway.

NPCs like living near people they get along with. Each NPC likes a different group of others, and some relationships are one-way. For example, the Painter likes the Dryad, but the Dryad is indifferent to the Painter. And every NPC eventually reaches a happiness drop-off when overcrowded, neatly removing any value of building a single superstructure to house everyone. ...unless it's ridiculously huge enough to have little clusters of apartments and duplexes of NPCs who like one another, while separating those clusters far enough apart to prevent overcrowding, I guess.

Except that each NPC also has a favorite Biome to live in, so even folks who get along might want to live far apart just because they prefer the weather in different spots.

It's complicated enough -- and undocumented in game, naturally -- that in spite of trying to keep myself more or less unspoiled on the new 1.4 mechanics and the specifics of the Don't Dig Up world, I'm deffo using a guide to figure out where and with whom to house everyone.

I keep this little pseudo-castle for now, since the game's biomes go through a bit of upheaval in the transition to Hardmode, and everybody will move out of a house that's consumed by the world's Evil biome. Besides, the two NPCs I'm pretty sure are the biggest money-sinks in need of hefty discounts I haven't even seen yet.

Where was I? Oh yeah.

Careful where you throw dynamite when digging out more of the cave. Whoops, sorry Painter and Dye Guy.

The Traveling Merchant has a useful accessory for when I'm taking a break from fighting in favor of building stuff. Which doesn't happen very often, since monsters constantly pester anyone regardless of what they're doing.

I'm standing on a brick now, but getting it in place to start building outward was needlessly complicated by the furry inside the apartment. I stood on the platform above, aimed my cursor carefully, hopped off the ledge, and threw my grappling hook at the castle wall to get into position to build. Except the cursor was pointed at the Zoologist through the wall, pressing the button to throw the hook instead opened a dialog where the Zoologist said hi and tried to open her shop, and I plummeted hundreds of feet to the cavern floor below.

Didn't die, since I'd walled off the bottom of the cave to let water pool there and landing in water nulls fall damage, but it was still annoying.

More apartments. Chandeliers I've found in the various ruined houses and stuff elsewhere, but actual trees to build more furniture have been hard to find. These apartments are a bit bare as a result.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:33 pm

Trees. And the other side of the HUD, to show that this Life Crystal is the last one, topping off my HP until the last few upgrades come into play much, much later.

Better Cloud in a Bottle, because this one is enchanted to protect me about as well as the full suit of silver mail I'm wearing.

Onward, upward.

I find a spider nest. It's full of Cobwebs, and the webs start to respawn as soon as I tear them down. Spiders spawn here as enemies, obviously.

I find a Web Slinger in a web-covered chest, and have now typed "web" so many times it barely feels like a word anymore. Anyway, the Slinger is a grappling upgrade, allowing me to throw out multiple lines and stay in the middle of all the grapple points I've anchored.

I still can't mine Crimtane with my pickaxe, but I can knock it loose with Dynamite.

I'm standing atop a pile of Silt, one of the kinds of blocks that is affected by gravity. If there's not another block below them, Silt blocks fall. If you're stuck beneath a pile of silt (or sand or slush, the other falling blocks I know about), you take HP damage until you stop clipping solid objects.

I don't remember finding an Extractinator anywhere, but it was already in one of the chests in the Ash Wood apartments when I moved everything to the new structure. Extractinators take Silt blocks and spit out a few coins, a random ore, or a gem.

Each world is generated with either Copper or Tin ore. There's either Iron or Lead ore. Then either Silver or Tungsten, and Gold or Platinum. There are a few minor differences between the metals at each tier, but for the most part they're just cosmetic differences. The Extractinator spits out all the ores, including the ones a given game world didn't generate with. After a little while I upgrade to a Gold Pickaxe, but the natural deposits I've found lead me to upgrade to Platinum armor.

(It is not lost on me that between the red-orange Copper or silvery Tin, I got TIn. Then between silvery -- not red -- Iron and black Lead, I got Iron. Then between Gold and silvery Platinum, I got Platinum. Sometimes you get a world where you can tell differences between ores with a glance, but all the ones I've seen are almost the same color, particularly in the dim lighting.)

I think this is a new-ish trap. Sometimes, walking around, lava will just start falling through a narrow channel in the rock and into the passage where I am. Haven't seen that before.

Haven't seen flame geysers either. This one I can mine up and presumably place somewhere else, if I want.

Digging upward, I find the Explosives trap before I see the chest it's wired to.

A little Dynamite of my own makes sure any traps nearby are disarmed by virtue of being blown into their component pieces. I take out the boulders overhead and get ready to safely claim my prize.

Turns out sometimes there's more than one Explosives wired to a chest.