What was planted in faith? Let's not Dig Up in Terraria!

nosimpleway

Re: What was planted in faith? Let's not Dig Up in Terraria!

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:23 pm

The Shiny Red Balloon combines with any of the Cloud, Blizzard, Sandstorm, or Fart bottles to make a cloud containing that thing. All of them do the same thing, better jump height and a double-jump, but if you have all four of them you can combine them into a Bunch of Balloons for a quintuple-jump.

I'm pretty sure Shiny Red Balloons are only found in sky chests on clouds, so unless I go creating other worlds and looting them of their sky chests, I won't ever have the Bundle.

Much like the Undertaker, the Fart in a Jar and the Fart in a Balloon are inherently funny to give prefixes to.

Having completed the surface-level rail lines, and equipped with something that makes digging rail lines quicker and easier, I figure I might as well have another way to quickly cross the map. The existing rail line dips down below the Lihzahrd temple, so I figure that's as good a depth as any to dig the next line.

Of course, digging a new line means I have to dig through the desert again, which probably takes about as long as the entire rest of the line put together thanks to how tall the stacks of Sand Blocks are, how I have to completely dig up each one, and that the Mole Cart makes digging the rest of the line such a breeze.

I appreciate that this is more or less the exact height I had to dig to get underneath the Crimson on the right side of the map when I dug out the first line, before I could dig through Crimstone and straighten the rails out.

lmao get wrecked dungeon

I end up with a ton of Silt, Slush, and Desert Fossil blocks, which nets me a tidy profit at the Extractinator. That's a new Platinum coin, worth 100 golds by itself.

I shortly realize that my Night's Edge doesn't have a prefix, and at around 20 gold a pop to reforge it, spend nearly all of my money trying to get a good prefix on it. I still don't end up with a fantastic one.

Then I spend the rest of my money refilling my stock of Dynamite. Say what you will about Terraria, I don't think there's ever a point in the game where cash on hand becomes obsolete.

The Lihzahrd temple isn't up against the edge of the map, so I have some more to dig out toward the left, too. I realize I didn't post many actual images of the Jungle, so... uh, here you go. Sometimes the Jungle has Living Mahogany trees, made of Mahogany Wood blocks and leaves like Living Trees (usually) are on the surface. There's a chest inside each one, but after three or four Living Mahogany trees I haven't found anything worth reporting inside one yet.

The other goal for digging out minecart lines is protecting the other biomes from the spreading of the Crimson. Crimson can't spread if you've Dynamited all the Crimstone and Crimson grass off the map, far as I'm concerned...

This does mean I have to fight the Brain of Cthulhu a couple more times. I get a magic wand that lets me cast a little raincloud (not made of meat, but does rain blood), and a mask that lets me cosplay as the Brain, but nothing else new.

The Lava Waders and the various abilities they give to dealing with lava are nice, but anything short of total immunity to the stuff means lava is still in the damn way while you dig out other projects. And the new rail line goes right through the lava layer of the caverns, of course! I spend rather a long time digging out a very large lava reservoir just to get it all out of the way.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:23 pm

Hey, a beehive.

Honey is surprisingly complicated. You may have seen in the description for my water-walking accessories that I can tread on honey, too. With that in mind it may not surprise you that honey is the third fluid that appears, after water and lava. Honey is good for keeping wounds moist and adequately antiseptic, which translates in-game to extra health regeneration while you're standing in the stuff. It's also far stickier and more viscous than water, so movement while submerged slows to a crawl. That might potentially be a problem since it's also possible to drown in the stuff.

Honey can be harvested into glass bottles by standing in, on, or adequately near it. Chugging honey in a bottle also gives better health regen for a few minutes. Oddly, jarred honey isn't used to make any sorts of potions.

I've seen that some people set up honey pools in the arena they build to fight bosses later on -- I'm not to that point yet -- but I'm unconvinced that the benefits of health regeneration would outweigh the movement penalty keeping you from dodging anything.

It's also possible to fish in Honey, when sent by the Angler to do so, and catch a Bumblebee Tuna.

Hive blocks, when broken, turn into a blob of honey and often release a couple of bees. While Hornets are giant monstrous versions that are bigger than the player character and fire stingers with pinpoint accuracy, bees are just plain tiny insects that buzz around and sting on contact. They still have full knockback of any bigger monster, though, which combines with the slow-movement of the honey and the fact that the bees spawn from a block you've broken right beside where you're standing to make hollowing out hives annoying to do.

The first two hives I found had The Larva submerged in honey, and I broke it without realizing. So the image of the larva is from the third hive, but the Queen Bee fight that you spawn by breaking it is still in the first hive. That's just how it is doing semiblind Let's Plays.

Queen Bee charges back and forth, and fires stingers and smaller bees from her abdomen. She's intended to be fought alongside the other early-game bosses, though, and at this point I can chump the Brain of Cthulhu without breaking a sweat, so Queen Bee likewise falls without doing anything of note.

She drops Beeswax and bee-themed gear. I think I have a wand that lets me build my own hives from Hive Blocks, a Bee Gun (not, surprisingly, a Bee Bee Gun), a sword with bees in its mouth so that when I swing the sword it shoots bees, and a pair of stripey bee pants.

Defeating Queen Bee makes a Lihzahrd Witch Doctor join up in my base. Most of those things he sells are fountains that spray various colors of decorative water. There's also a Cauldron, but I don't know if it counts as a way to make either food or potions, and an Enchanting Table to put enhancements on weapons that I haven't messed with yet.

Did I mention that the Old Man from in front of the Dungeon has, with his curse lifted, now moved in and set up shop to sell clothes? He did, despite Skeletron quite explicitly erupting from his body when I fought it. NPCs are just infinitely replaceable if any of them die anyway, so maybe it's not the same guy. Doesn't really matter.

Back to exploring, I find a ruined jungle hut with a bizarre trap: a King statue, wired to a pressure plate in the floor. A monster stepped on the plate, and when activated, a King Statue summons a random male NPC to its location. The NPC then stepped on the pressure plate as they thoughtlessly wander around, summoning another NPC, who then steps on the plate...

The Painter and Dye Trader were eaten by Crimera while on this side of the map. In order to have an NPC go home, neither the NPC or their home can be onscreen. I have to warp out, then warp to my Jungle pylon to get the survivors pictured to clear out of the area and not die horribly. The Painter and Dye Trader eventually move back in, presumably new people with new names, that are inexplicably identical to the ones who just perished. Like I said, it doesn't really matter much.

But that reminds me of something. The first beehive is directly in the path of where I want to dig a shaft down the left side of the map. I don't want to drain the Honey off into a reservoir, as there's water and lava nearby that crystalize Honey into solid blocks. It's time for a more difficult solution: pump the stuff upward.

The Mechanic sells Wire, Wrenches to place it, a Wire Cutter to remove it, and various measuring tools to make placing and removing the wires easier. Those things all combine into The Grand Design, a single tool that lets you do more or less anything wire- and mechanism-related. Like the informational accessories, The Grand Design is active even when not equipped, and the measurement screen overlay makes it pretty hard to do anything else, so it's not something you want to just carry around.

Pictured here: the leftover wiring from a lava trap. Remember I mentioned earlier that some traps are a pressure plate that triggers a column of blocks to vanish, dumping lava directly onto the area where the plate is? This wire connects the pressure plate to the column of blocks that disappear. The red line is plain wire, and the X-shaped bits over the top are called Actuators. When Actuated, a block turns into a background element and doesn't interact with foreground objects, such as, say, holding lava up anymore.

Hop down to the bottom of the Honey pool, put down an Intake Pump, and wire it straight up.

Put an Outlet Pump in a little building I've put together, wire it to the Inlet Pump, and add a Switch to turn it all on. The wire acts like a pipe in this case, sucking the Honey into the Inlet and spitting it out of the Outlet.

End result: honey silo. I haven't decided whether I really need anything like this, but if I need a jar (or a bucket) of honey anytime in the future, it won't matter what I do to the other hives.

I now have a rope from the top of the map to the bottom in three places: one on the far left of the map, one on the far right, and one in the middle near my base. I have to different minecart lines stretching the entire map from left to right, one near the surface median (so like 200 feet under the actual Surface, depending on whether I'm under a hill or valley) and one at about 400 feet below.

Why bother? Like I said before, the Crimson can spread into blocks adjacent to Crimstone or dirt or mud with Crimson grass growing on it. It also grows hanging vines and thorny brambles, and those can also spread Crimson if, say, a Crimson vine hangs down low enough to touch regular green Forest grass. By cutting the rope shafts and minecart lines, I've physically separated nearly all of the Crimson from anything it can infect. By putting down minecarts and ropes, I've stopped the vines and brambles from reaching onto healthy grass or moss blocks. The Don't Dig Up seed placed Crimson along the surface and both sides of the map, and if I've done this right, it's now contained there.

I have a Forest Pylon in my base, a Cavern Pylon in some apartments near the surface (which pretty well obsoletes the middle rope shaft), and a Jungle Pylon near the Lihzahrd temple on the left side of the map. Pylons need NPCs living nearby to function, so I don't know if I have enough to set up a Pylon warp point in the Desert, the Snow, maybe a Mushroom biome?

There's not much left to do anymore other than make preparations for the next boss. Beating the Wall of Flesh will spread a new Biome, spawn a bunch of really hard monsters into the world, and allow me to proceed through the next set of equipment upgrades, essentially starting the second act of the game. I might dig another minecart line to make getting around post-Wall easier. Other than that, I need to double-check and see if there's anything significant I'm missing before I crank the difficulty up. It might take a little white before the next update, but that update will probably be fighting the Wall, for sheer lack of anything else to do.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:42 am

There's a couple more upgrades I want to get before I move into the much harder second act of the game. One of those, I only need one new thing before I can get it. The other is going to be a lot more complicated to get. The one that's a bigger pain in the ass isn't even going to be particularly helpful in the second act, it's more that getting it now will be easier than getting it while dealing with harder monsters and stuff. Because the second thing demands: fishing

God, I hate video game fishing.

I hate video game fishing so much I went to the Steam Workshop and downloaded a Fishing World, one that's just an empty void with a few chunks of land, each its own biome, floating in it. The background is entirely walled off, so no monsters can spawn. I can fish in peace.

The Angler gives one fishing quest per in-game day, starting at 4:30 a.m. A full day lasts 24 minutes. The quest is always to go to a specific biome and fish up a specific quest fish, and that quest fish is only available when the Angler sends you to find it. I need three things from him, all given out as quest rewards, chosen randomly.

Of course, I also have to fight the RNG to get the fish I need. It doesn't take long before I'm bored doing it, casting a line while hanging from the ceiling, or trying to cast so that the line goes straight down into the water without curving, or whatever else I can think of to break up the tedium a little.

Guess how long it took before I had to fish for an entire day, in the right biome for the quest I was in, without ever finding the fish I needed to catch. Go on, guess.

If you guessed "dude that happened on literally the second in-game day didn't it" then step forward and collect your winnings.

Which is not to say that getting the fish I need quickly is any less boring, because I still have to wait out the full 24 minutes before the Angler will give me another quest. Eventually I find that the world included an Enchanted Sundial (squirreled away inside the Zoologist's house for some inexplicable reason) that lets me skip to dawn and get my next quest immediately... but only works once per in-game week.

I folded three baskets of laundry. I loaded the dishwasher. I took out the garbage. I cleaned out the car and took out its garbage. Do you have any idea how dull a game has to be to make me into a functional adult?

Eventually I just say "fuck it" and go back to my DDU world, because even though the fishing itself is more annoying, at least there I can do something in between fishing quests.

It's weird to think I was ever hurting for HP upgrades sometimes.

As I understand it, these fallen logs appear on the surface in vanilla, and destroying them is bad. So I leave this one alone.

Oh, word?

Nice, I can summon it with a button press, and it can even fly a little. It's slow as hell on the ground, so I basically use it as another jump upgrade.

Hmm...

Now that I can fly, sort of, and since I'm already jumping between game worlds...

Sunlight! Daytime! A whole new world to explore!

I'm just here for the Balloons, though.

I got a Cloud in a Balloon and a Blizzard in a Balloon to go with my Fart in a Balloon. If I can get a Forbidden Fragment I can make one of my Clouds in a Bottle into a Sandstorm in a Bottle, turn that into a Sandstorm in a Balloon, and get the Bundle of Balloons. I think Forbidden Fragments are a lategame monster drop, though, so the Bundle may well be obsolete before I can get one.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:02 am

oh hell finally

I mean I know I just brought it up but I've been looking for one of these little bastards since probably my fight with Skeletron.

Image Image
The Aglet, the Anklet of the Wind, and the Spectre Boots I've been wearing since the Goblin Tinkerer showed up combine into Lightning Boots. Lightning Boots plus Ice Skates equals Frostspark Boots. And Frostspark Boots plus those Lava Waders I've been wearing combine into Terraspark Boots, which offer the benefits of the Hermes Boots, Rocket Boots, Lava Charm, Obsidian Rose, Obsidian Skull, Ice Skates, and the base speed bonus from the Anklet of the Wind and Aglet. Whew!

I even manage to get the Guarding prefix on them when I forge the Terraspark Boots, for +2 defense. Eventually I reforge them into +3 Defense, but since I'll probably be wearing them a while I deffo want to get Warding on them for the maximum +4.

There's an achievement for getting the Terraspark Boots, as a reward for all the stuff you have to find to get them. It's not even the most complicated accessory recipe...

Waiting for the Angler to give me the next quest, I hit up the Guide and check in with all the recipes I have an ingredient for. Hey, I could make one of these magic-boosting bands, but I need some "Ecto Mist"...

Ecto Mist isn't an ingredient itself, it's an environmental effect. Every time a player character dies, they leave a tombstone. Put seven of those in the same general area to make a graveyard, and the graveyard will emit its own Ecto Mist. Then bring your crafting stations and ingredients into the graveyard to make... mostly regular stuff, really. You can make a Gravedigger's Shovel that is really good at moving dirt, but useless on rocks. Some NPCs sell macabre-themed stuff if they're in a graveyard.

Whatever, gimme my Band of Starpower. Combined with a Band of Regeneration that makes a Mana Regeneration Band, which does about what it sounds like. Combined with a Shackle, the MRB turns into Magic Cuffs, which also restore my MP when I take damage. And the Cuffs combined with a Celestial Magnet turns them into Celestial Cuffs, which let me pick up mana-restoring drops from further away.

The Angler wants me to revisit one of the floating islands and catch a cloud fish or harpy fish or some such nonsense. I'm pretty sure I can't, there aren't any Cloud biomes in this world, just meat. On my way into the sky to check I get pasted by a random falling star. Well, fuck you too, game.

Angler quest reward: a joke we could all see coming from a mile away.

get it

coming

*sigh*

Pretty sure this is a Halloween-time-of-year exclusive drop, from the pumpkins that pop up here and there on the ground.

I also dig up "The Dirtiest Block" among the thousands of dirt blocks I've removed. It also summons a pet... a pet Dirt Block.

I'd probably keep this one if I didn't already have my dinosaur.

The Mole Cart is not very clever when it runs into preexisting mine cart tracks, such as those that show up in random spots when the world is generated.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:16 am

Man, what else can I do while the Angler twiddles his thumbs figuring out what fish to send me out to get from a biome that might not even exist in the world

oh, I can make some gold crowns, stick them on a lump of jelly, and use the resulting effigy to summon the King Slime and beat the crap out of him a couple times. See the crown on the ground from the previous fight while I fight the next one in line?

I get a Ninja Shirt to match my Ninja Hood, but no Ninja Pants. I got a Slime Saddle that summons a slime mount, too, but the mount is constantly bouncing and it makes it difficult to do much.

I go ahead and make a couple Deer Things and fight the Deerclops, too. It's probably really hard right when you get the Crimtane you need to make the Deer Thing, but it basically can't hurt me where I am now. It drops a bunch of Don't-Starve-related gear, like an accessory that gives the whole game a grainy, washed-out overlay like a Don't Starve video trailer, or an axe named Lucy that keeps talking to you as long as you carry it. (She complained "Sigh... this sucks" when I stuffed her in a chest.) The Eye Bone summons a pet chest monster that functions as a Piggy Bank, so I guess that's nice.

I've gotten a dozen or so Suspicious-Looking Eyes from chests scattered around, but there's nothing to report from the Eye of Cthulhu refights, either.

Ho ho! Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me... like... eight or nine times... shame on me! At this point whenever I find an unattended chest sitting in the middle of nowhere I equip the Wire Cutters real quick. Holding a wire-manipulating item shows you any wires on screen, and sure enough, Dead Man's Chests are sitting in the middle of a cluster of wires connecting them to all the traps.

So now I take the Explosives, the Dart Traps, and the wires before looting the chest.

After 24 quests completed, the Angler finally gives me the first of three items I've been waiting for. 24 quests, times 24 minutes per quest, comes out to nearly ten hours of gameplay.

Some other Angler rewards -- a high-durability fishing line, a tackle box, and a lure-shaped earring -- combine into one accessory that combines them, like usual. This isn't the thing I'm working toward, though.

If I'm gonna be serious about stopping the Crimson from spreading, I can pave over all the natural blocks with bricks. Bricks can't be Crimsoned (unless I make them out of Crimstone in the first place), and don't sprout any vines or thornbushes. Since I have enough Stone Blocks stored up to make 10,000 bricks and 40,000 brick walls, I go ahead and... do that. To the tunnel I dug out at the surface median and to the rope shafts on the far left and far right sides of the world, at least.

Dicking around in a completely vertical tunnel for long enough leaves lots of presents at the bottom, from all the slain enemies who dropped their stuff where you couldn't catch it.

You can't dig out from underneath an Eyeballtar, but there's a Block Swap option in the HUD that lets you put down a block and automatically collect the one that was there. It makes paving a lot faster, and it turns out, you can take the Crimstone out from under an Eyeballtar if you put something else there in its place.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:31 am

fucking

F I N A L L Y

Angler quest rewards include the Fisherman's Notebook, the Weather Radio, and the Sextant. Those combine into the Fish Finder. Hooray.

The Fish Finder, the REK 3000, the Goblin Tech, and the GPS combine into a single information-giving item called the PDA. The PDA then combines with a Magic Mirror to make a Cell Phone, so now you don't even need an extra inventory slot for the informational stuff. The Cell Phone sits on my item hotbar where the Magic Mirror was, and does the same thing when activated.

But we're still not doooooone

Unrelated to the Cell Phone but arriving at about the same time, because a Traveling Merchant finally brought me a Portable Cement Mixer, is the Architect Gizmo Pack. It's pretty nice, the boost to reach from the Extendo Grip and the boost to placement speed from the other parts are noticeable. The option to paint things is also there, I guess.

The Gizmo Pack combines with the Ancient Chisel, Treasure Magnet, and a stepstool to make the Hand of Creation. The boost to mining speed from the Chisel is no joke, but the Treasure Magnet is the real star here. I have a couple of summoned Imps fighting monsters for me and they don't bring me all the stuff the slain monsters drop. Now I don't have to go so far out of my way to get the scattered coins, gels, or whatever.

I have four accessory slots. Between the Terraspark Boots and the Hand of Creation, I've got the effects of fifteen accessories with two slots to spare. I don't get to pick which accessories -- the Ice Skates and Paint Sprayer I could take or leave -- but that's still pretty cool.

The difference in reach. At right is a brick ceiling I put in place before I got the Hand of Creation. At left is a ceiling I just dug out without leaving my minecart.

And of course, if I need just a skosh more reach, I have a stepstool.

So anyway, I'm still doing Angler quests, waiting for another reward that'll let m-- oh, hey. That's one of the things I need. Hot damn, just sitting here in a chest. That saves some time, since fishing the Magic Conch up from the ocean is something like a 2% chance.

The other thing I need comes out of lava, and eventually I just give up and look up what tools I can use to get it. Turns out to fish in lava you need one of three things:
1) a random quest reward from the Angler, but only given after the Wall of Flesh is defeated
2) a random item drop you get from a crate you fish out of the lava
or
3) any random bug you can catch in the Underworld to use as bait

I thought the Angler would give you 1 before the Wall, and had 2 in his quest reward rotation. Whoops! Ha ha! What a senseless waste of time. Lavabugs, Lava Butterflies, and Magma Snails can be caught with a Lavaproof Bug Net, which I've had since I first mined up the Hellstone I needed to make it.

Which is not to say the item was particularly forthcoming even once I discovered the means to get it.

The Cell Phone and two Conches combine into a Shell Phone, allowing me to teleport home, to the Underworld, or to the Ocean on either side of the map. And with that, I'm done item-grinding.

For now.

I mean, the game post-Wall is mostly item grinding.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:59 am

In earlier versions of Terraria, the Guide had something of a bad reputation for doing things like opening the door to your base and letting zombies in. Players were so frustrated that they demanded some way to wreak vengeance, and the Guide Voodoo Doll was put into the game. Holding it lets you injure and kill the Guide. Now that his AI is a bit better and techniques to work around the NPC's stupidity are better known, it just seems kind of petty and mean. Anyway, to summon the Wall of Flesh, you take one of those Voodoo Dolls and throw it into the lava in the Underworld.

I have six of them, since they're guaranteed drops from an uncommon Underworld monster. But when I went to throw one in, this dumb idiot threw the entire stack. Turns out if you do something like that, it'll kill one NPC for each doll thrown, even though the doll is of the Guide specifically.

I'm caught so off-guard that I fatfinger something and end up... switching my vanity outfit for my armor? Somehow? I still don't even know how that happened. But fighting a boss with all the armor that a chef's uniform has to offer ended poorly. Then I had to find more Voodoo Demons and collect more dolls.

That's more like it. I don't need the Ultrabright Helmet when I've got all this nice bright lava illuminating everything, so I can get the set bonus from the whole Molten armor set to boost my melee hits, with my now-Legendary Night's Edge. The Wall of Flesh doesn't have a prayer.

The Wall of Flesh moves steadily from one side of the screen to the other, in this case, from right to left. It has little tendrils, it spits leeches, the eyes shoot lasers, and if you try to get behind it to dodge its attacks, it grabs you with a tentacle and flings you in front of it, probably into lava.

Oh, and if you try to leave the underworld, even teleporting out with a Magic Mirror or Shellphone, you die instantly.

More on the loot in a second. More on the ominous message that the "Spirits of Light and Dark have been released" in a minute, too.

See, I'm curious. At this point of the game armor sets have started offering different bonuses apart from body protection. Molten Armor gives the best defense, and bonuses to melee attacks. Armor made from beeswax is summon-themed, makes my minions hit harder, and lets me have more minions at my command. Here I am with four imps, ready to fight on my behalf.

Since the loot from the Wall of Flesh can be immolated if it falls into lava, it's put in a nice safe box for retrieval. I didn't get a good screenshot of the fight, but at left is the box left over from the battle in summoner armor. At right is where I killed the first Wall with my melee build. Not bad! I did have to drink a healing potion as a summoner that the warrior didn't need, though.

Gotta wait for a new Guide to move in before I can throw the next doll into the lava. Meanwhile, some new monsters have shown up, including a couple of Guilds and some Toxic Slimes.

Right, here goes. The Gunner (in bone-and-cobweb Necro Armor) had a tough time, partly because none of the guns available are all that impressive. The Phoenix Blaster does good damage, but only fires one shot at a time. The Boomstick can't be aimed effectively, and has less base damage. Minishark can pump out bullets like crazy, but its damage output is pretty far out-of-date by now.

It took me a moment to remember that I had an ace up my sleeve, though. Every time I beat the Queen Bee, she dropped a dozen or so Beenades. A Beenade is a grenade that explodes into a swarm of bees that fly over to enemies and sting them repeatedly. See all those little numbers popping up all over the Wall in that screenshot? The Phoenix Blaster only does one shot at a time...

Oh, uh.

Looks like the Magic fight was such a hassle that I didn't get even a single screencap. Magic armor is made from Jungle Spores and Vines and such, and I brought Dark Lance and Magic Missile to attack the Wall. I quickly ran out of mana, and got to choose between twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to refill, or drink a Mana potion, run out again, and twiddle my thumbs waiting for the potion cooldown to wear off.

So in order of effectiveness: Melee, Gunner, Summon, Magic. Gunner might tie with Melee if I brought out Beenades sooner.

Image Image
Rewards include this Breaker Blade, which is absolutely not a Buster Sword; the Clockwork Repeater, a gun that outdamages Phoenix Blaster and fires in three-round bursts; a Summoner whip that makes stuff explode when it hits them; and a Laser Rifle that's better than either of the spells I took to the Wall fight.
The Wall also drops Warrior's Emblem, Ranger's Emblem, Sorcerer's Emblem, or Summoner's Emblem, for a 15% damage boost. You can probably guess which items go with which emblems.

But I also fought a Mimic after the first Wall, and it was nice enough to give me this Titan Glove. Combined with the Feral Claws, the result is a pretty significant boost to melee output. Shame the Power Glove doesn't combine with the Warrior Emblem.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:15 am

As previewed earlier, new monsters have spawned. In addition to the Werewolves I saw in the Underworld, regular Wolves now appear in the snow. Trying to fight those Werewolves hand-to-hand showed that their damage output was greater than the Wall of Flesh itself! If this Wolf wasn't trapped, I'm sure it would be the same. Everything is a lot harder now.

According to The Lore, the Wall of Flesh is the guardian of the world. Defeating it releases the spirits of dark it was holding in check, and also release spirits of light to temporarily serve as world guardians until a new, proper guardian can be found. Well, whatever. The Spirits of Dark mean that the world Evil -- Corruption or Crimson -- gets a new giant stripe of presence in the world, and starts spreading far more aggressively than it did before. New Evil-biome monsters start appearing, too.

The Spirits of Light introduce a new biome entirely... but... uh... Usually you can't miss 'em. I mean, vast chunks of the world convert from whatever they were to the Evil and Light biomes, giant diagonal slashes across the entire map just to make everything harder to miss and nearly impossible to contain. So... where are they?

One last twist from Don't Dig Up, I guess. The new Light biome -- the Hallow -- has appeared on the world's left edge, inside where the Crimson was before. Those little crystal outgrowths are coming out of the Pearlstone that marks the Hallow biome.

Above: meaty Crimson vines hang from the ceiling. In front: Pixies, a Hallow mob. Weird.

In the Hallow proper, colors are a little brighter, pastels are everywhere, trees grow in a variety of colors, and you're likely to get skewered by a Unicorn's horn or lasered to death by a snail. The spirits that were released are of Light -- not Good, mind -- and they are arguably more dangerous than the ones in the Crimson.

Which is not to say the Crimson is any relief. The new Floaty Gross can move through walls to sneak up on you, and the Ichor Sticker (that doesn't even rhyme! That's not how you pronounce "ichor"!) can spray gouts of fluid that do about a quarter of my HP in damage.

So... what comes next?

One last drop from every instance of the Wall of Flesh is the "Pwnhammer". It's a reference to one of the dev's earlier projects, I guess. You can use the Pwnhammer to break Eyeballtars, which propagates the Crimson or Hallow just a little bit, and spawns a new metal scattered randomly around the world. Cobalt or Palladium, then Mythril or Orichalcum, then Adamantite or Titanium. All better than Hellstone, and each one better than the one before it.

You can skip all that by, dear god help me, fishing.

Sometimes instead of a fish, you can fish up a crate. And now that the game is in Hardmode, the crates can have ores and bars of those new metals inside. Here I've got ten shiny bars of Titanium. That's not enough to make even a single item, but I've got 'em without breaking a single Eyeballtar. Beside it are Mythril, Cobalt, and some Palladium ore. I make myself a single Cobalt item, because that's all I have the materials for: a drill, which not surprisingly works faster than a pickaxe.

I'll need to upgrade my gear one way or another, because there are a bunch of new bosses to fight between here and Act III.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:56 am

Frustrated I convinced myself to do angler quests for the hotrod instead of just farming some fire bugs for the hell shell.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:33 pm

As with so many things in Terraria, I was pretty annoyed when I found out the answer!

Hey, who are those guys? I'm sure it's nothing.

I'm back in Fishing World, looking for a few more crates. I'm looking for a couple things in particular, apart from the new ores or bars I can use.

Fishing World has a Solar Eclipse while I'm working, which is an event somewhat like a Blood Moon that I won't ever see in the DDU world on account of how there's no sun out anyway. Then there's a proper Blood Moon, and I learn that it's possible to fish monsters out of the water during that event. The Zombie Merman isn't much to worry about, just a surprise when I wasn't expecting to have to fight anything.

There's one thing. Now I can fish in lava with any bait I want. This combines with the Fishing Tackle I already have, giving me all the fishing bonuses available in one accessory slot.

I also get a couple of Frog Legs, one of which combines with a Flipper to make Frog Webbing. Of course, being Angry Frog Webbing just means I spend the next few minutes with it equipped squeaking a sonorous war cry.

The squeaking ceases when I combine the Frog Webbing with the Tiger Climbing Gear, making Frog Gear that lets me hop and stick to walls.

The next god-knows-how-long sees me fishing in the clouds biome. Chug a few potions to make crates more likely to appear and increase my fishing skill, then go read a book while listening for the *blub* of the bobber dipping under the water. Hit the trigger twice, once to reel in whatever went *blub* and again to cast a fresh line. By the time I run out of Crates Potions I've got a pretty good collection of Azure Crates, each of which has the contents like it's one of the chests placed in the little buildings on top of the clouds.

While I got like five Starfury swords and four Shiny Red Balloons, I didn't get the drop I was looking for. Rats.

Turns out Merman Zombies aren't the only thing that comes out of the water on a Blood Moon. I get about as far as "WHAT THE FUCK IS TH" before I'm killed by a spray of blood out of the thing's shell. It's a Hardmode Terraria rare spawn, I didn't have a prayer.

I guess I can go see what the Angler wants for his quest while I wait for the Blood Moon to paARE YOU KIDDING ME

I'm sorry what

it has
f i f t e e n t h o u s a n d
hit points?!

Thankfully it's helpless when pressed up against a door, unable to reach with its contact damage but since it has a straight line to get to me it doesn't ever try to use its projectile blood vomit spray. So I just stand here chopping away at it while I runs facefirst into a wall.

I guess it could be that it's a glass wall and the thing has the intellect of a sparrow. Funnier that way.

It drops a "why would I even want to do that" item

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:38 pm

Lunatic Devotees? You don't say?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:47 pm

You can't process the last of these ores without using some raw Titanium or Adamantite to reinforce the Hellforge. Which is weird, since I've been working with Tungsten up to this point without a hitch. I don't have enough Titanium ore to do this, so that limits my ability to work with some of the ores I got from all the crates I fished up.

You might also see that in order to build the Titanium Forge I need a Mythril Anvil. So there are two ore gates: first you need to waste a bunch of Mythril to upgrade the anvil, and that lets you waste a bunch of Titanium to upgrade the smelter. Whatever.

First thing, forge the Adamantite bars I managed to get into a new drill and a new suit of mail, increasing my Defense by 4. I make some Mythril pants, for another point over the Molten Pants I had on. The headgear... there's some pretty nice bonuses from the helmet slot available, but it's hard to come up with something better than "passively lights the surrounding area" despite the Ultra-Bright Helmet's defense starting to seriously lag behind the competition.

Of course, it wouldn't be a few minutes at base spent strategizing and building without a needless interruption.

There's a new addition to the Goblin Army in the Goblin Summoner, who can throw shadowflame balls like the Sorcerers do, but also fly around and conjure sturdier eidolons that fly around and tackle me.

It's tough!

It drops a really nice weapon upgrade, though.

Anyway. None of the weapons available to forge have any advantage over the drops I've gotten. Hell, it can be tough to justify using anything other than the "hits everything in a pretty generous radius around me" Night Edge, even against things with much higher attack power but more awkward requirements to hit stuff. If I need a ranged attack, the Clockwork Assault Rifle has been doing fine, although those new Shadowflame Knives immediately replace it. Despite being thrown weapons, they do melee-type damage, and thus benefit from the Power Glove and Warrior's Emblem.

Weapons aside, I already got an Adamantite Drill, so I'm at the top of the tier list there. The hammer upgrades aren't important, since only the Pwnhammer can break Eyeballtars, if I ever get around to doing that. Getting a new axe (or chainsaw) seems utterly redundant, given how seldom I cut down trees.

So what I really need is more Adamantite or Titanium, I could have skipped just about everything else. Hmm.

Shadowflame Knives are pretty damn nice, capable of pretty well stunlocking any single target I'm up against. They could do more damage, I guess, but given how rapidly they're thrown it's only a problem against particularly evasive enemies like the Hornets in the jungle.

Speaking of the Jungle, new ore just dropped. It's hard enough that the Adamantite Drill can't even scratch it.

The Jungle in Hardmode is pretty gosh-durn dangerous, but I'm on my way to look around the Hollow. Since I basically left this side of the map completely unexplored, it's got lots of treasure and ores that I haven't collected, but it's all outdated stuff since nobody runs around putting Hardmode gear into the treasure chests or anything.

.... *sigh*

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:02 pm

Mongrel wrote:Lunatic Devotees? You don't say?

I'm sure it's nothing!

....what's this? The rocks around me have gone all outer-space-y.

It's a giant, shimmering purple pool.

I put all my bait and fishing rods in storage, so I'm not sure what could possibly come out of this pool. Jumping in myself forces me into an insubstantial state and I gently sink through the rocks below. I'm sure there's some way to exploit this. Maybe I can put some in buckets, build a pool on top of the Lihzahrd Temple, and phase inside? Y'know, if I wanted to.

My Shadowflame Knives bounce right off the surface like I'm skipping stones, but monsters that fall in just keep doing their thing. You can see burning arrows being fired at me from an arc that starts at the bottom of the pool in this image, because there's a skellington with a bow down there.

It's one of those "just look it up on the Wiki" mechanics, I'm afraid. This is the Shimmer. If you throw items in, they can be transformed into other things. Mostly they break apart into their component parts, like if I wanted to throw in my Shellphone it would turn into a Cellphone, a Magic Conch, and a Demon Conch.

Throw in a Life Crystal and it turns into a permanent boost to HP regen. Likewise, throw in a Mana Crystal and your mana will regenerate faster forevermore. Throw in a Golden Worm to get a permanent boost to fishing skill. Throw in a piece of fruit and it transforms into a permanent boost to mining and building speed. Throw in a Bezoar and it turns into an Adhesive Bandage.

Which is great, because I've gotten lots of Bezoars and they combine with Adhesive Bandages.

(Something also drops a Megaphone somewhere in the Hallow, and that combines with the Nazar I found a while back to make the Countercurse Mantra, stopping me from being Cursed or Silenced.)

One of the Skellington Archers drops his Magic Quiver, which was awfully thoughtful of him since that means I don't have to make one myself. The Magic Quiver combines with a Magma Stone to make an infinite resource of fast, burning arrows.

Right as I'm about to combine a bunch of Yoyo-themed accessories into a single Yo-yo Bag, a Blood Moon rises. I take a break from planning and crafting and go kill a bunch of stuff. A Mimic shows up along with all the Zombies and Eyes and Slimes, and drops a Star Cloak. Later on I combine it with a Mana Flower so it can counterattack with falling stars and help my mana reserves.

I also fight a couple of Clowns without getting a decent screenshot of any damn one of them. They throw grinning bombs, and in my last LP they were extremely rare because their bombs worked just like mine, destroying blocks. A Clown attack at or near your base was a force of chaos unmatched by any other enemy, considering nothing else could actually break your base down. Now the bombs are just little explosions that do HP damage without breaking any blocks, so Clowns are free to appear much more often.

One of the Clowns drops a throwing Banana. Goodbye, Shadowflame Knives, we hardly knew ye.

They leave a trail of afterimages when thrown but that's about as fast as I can throw Bananarangs if I hold the button down anyway.

Considering that as soon as the Blood Moon sinks below whatever serves as a horizon, another Goblin Army attacks, this one with three Goblin Summoners in tow. I don't know if they can only spawn one at a time, but I doubt it. Thanks to my POTASSIUM INJECTION I manage to kill each one before another appears.

Two of them each drop a Shadowflame Hex Doll, which might be a good Magic attack if I ever used Magic attacks. It's certainly no BANANA

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:18 pm

Huh, some Hallow broke containment from the far left side of the map. Not very far, this is over the jungle, but it's transformed a strip of Crimstone into Pearlstone right until it just... stopped.

...I remember Bag-powered Yo-yos being a lot more useful. Maybe they got nerfed in a previous version. Yo-yos work as combination melee weapons and spells, in that they follow the cursor and hover there like some controllable spells do. With a Yo-yo Bag equipped, you throw out two Yo-yo projectiles instead of one, and two counterweights pop out behind you. All told you're surrounded by four whirring, semicontrollable weapons but... I dunno, it just doesn't seem to have the damage output or crowd control I remember them having.

Back to BANANA

New in Hardmode: Biome Mimics. They're shitty as Mimics go because no chests in the game look like they do. They function quite well as enemies because they're extremely tough, hit hard, and are almost impossible to flee from, particularly in narrow caves. Hanging out in a passage above a regular Mimic, where it can't reach you by jumping, and throwing attacks downward works well. Biome Mimics just teleport to you and gnaw off your face.

Pictured here: A Crimson Mimic teleports to me and gnaws off my face.

I found a Wizard. He opens up a shop back at base selling semimagical and enchantable items, as might be expected.

For example, he sells Blank Spellbooks that can be written at a Bookcase, such as this one penned in Meteorite ink that lets me call a cascade of meteorites from the sky.

It's visually impressive, but I'd rather have something that goes between me and the monster I'm hitting. Knockback is an important part of crowd control.

It's weird to say "a spell to call meteorites out of the sky is okay, I guess, but I'll just keep my banana."

Speaking of Meteorites, though... let's go to space a second, I wanna see if I can spawn, and then beat, a certain something.

Yeah, you! Wyverns are long, multisegmented monsters with 4000 hit points. They attack by flying straight at the player character and ramming them, which hurts quite a bit. And they're agile enough to be pretty tough to dodge...

But it turns out if you've got a nice long rope, you can just slight straight down aaaaaalmost as fast as the Wyvern can fly. They'll catch up and hit eventually, but as they loop around you can climb back up the rope, maneuver so the Wyvern is charging in from above, and descend again.

The first couple Wyverns I beat with the Clockwork Assault Rifle, because each bullet fired from it can pierce through a few enemies before stopping. For a multisegment monster like a Wyvern, that means hitting the head, piercing through and hitting the second section that makes the top of its neck for the same damage again, piercing through that to hit the second section of neck and dealing damage again... It takes a couple of rounds going up and down the rope, but I can eventually chew through the entire 4000 HP and collect a few Souls of Flight for my trouble.

Then on a lark I try the Bananarang and find that it pierces EVERY SECTION OF THE WYVERN WITH ONE THROW. And I can throw eight of them before the first one has returned to my hand. And they have a much higher attack power than the Clockwork Rifle. A Wyvern can swoop out of the sky, line up along the rope, and be dead before I'm even halfway to the ground without ever hitting me.

Bananas are awesome.

With Souls of Flight, I can make proper wings. They're equipped in accessory slots, whereas I thought they had their own equipment slots like the grappling hook, the pet, the light pet, and the mount. But even the best Wings outclasses the Rocket Boots or any number of weather effects in a Balloon... and stacks with them if you want to equip all of those anyway. I'm keeping my Terraspark Boots, at least, so after the wings run out of stamina and I start falling to the ground I can still use the boots to jet upwards for another burst. (Of course, at that point I can throw out a grappling hook, and if it hits anything, it resets both the Wings and the rocket power in the Boots.) Shame the whole game is spent in cramped caverns and tunnels, because my aerial mobility just got a huge boost.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:27 pm

I'm going to hate doing this part are--

oh it doesn't work

what

haha you have to use it in the Hallow, nothing like fighting an extra boss when there's a dozen Pixies and laser-spewing Gastropods spawning around you too

I'm going to hate doing this part, aren't I

Queen Slime is new, to me at least. I've never seen it before, and its ability to spray projectiles in all directions and spit out smaller slimes that demand crowd control measures is a bit overwhelming.

Pretty sure I took this screenshot right after I said "WHAT THE HAP IS FUCKENING" out loud

Queen Slime has 18,000 HP, but at least she's not some random encounter like the Hemogoblin Shark was.

Banana triumphs once again... but what's this? A Hallow Mimic! Since I'd already cleared out a flat space to fight the Queen Slime, reading the Mimic's tells is quite a bit easier than that run-in I had with the Crimson Mimic earlier. Banana triumphs again again.

The Mimic drops a Daedalus Stormbow, which works a bit like the Star Cloak or meteor spell I just scribed. Instead of firing an arrow from the bow, it drops stars from the sky. I'm told it's pretty damn awesome, but I'll need a really wide-open space to use it, and even then I'd still rather have some knockback to keep monsters away.

I already had a flying mount, but the Winged Slime is much faster on ground than the bee. I need to experiment a little more to see whether the flight I get from the mount stacks with the flight I get with my own wings, now that I have them.

*sigh*

...where did I get this?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:55 am

I am currently at the door of the last boss, working on a proper arena and deciding on my final loadout before I give it a second try. And now that I'm doing some actual math I can confirm that melee is incredibly overpowered. Yo-yos were entirely new to me, and after a rare godly drop before wall of flesh I stuck with them up until those weird guys we didn't see in the first post of this update.

I was happy with the area of effect and dps throughout the entire time. Took down the next 5 bosses to come up no issue. But the effectiveness of the one sword upgrade I hadn't bothered to get a drop for right at the start of hardmode was so great that I'm still choosing to use it now, with access to the final crafting tier of melee weapons.

I am also at this point without knowing anything about the permanent stat boosts from shimmer. I just knew it broke down goblin tech and converted the components of recipes for the same tech. I was immediately able to make the ankh shield after finding it. But never would have experimented to find out about the boosts.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:05 am

As you might have grokked already, if you're going to fight a boss in Terraria you'd better be ready to fight it five or six times. Random drops, ya know.

So, Arena Building 101: Hook up some heart statues to a timer, with some wire. When the timer goes off (but against something like a ten-second minimum), each statue will spit out a +20 HP refill. They're hearts normally, hence the statue type, but they're candy apples because it's the Halloween event right now.

Many statues will spawn a thing it's a statue of when trigger by a wire. If I were ever short on bait again, I could hook up a butterfly statue to a switch and use it to spawn a bunch of butterflies. Or you can make monsters out of skeleton statues and kill them. Whatever rubs yer rhubarb.

Remember to turn your timer off before you walk away to do other things, though. Do you want ants? That's how you get ants.

As you may have guessed from where I built that arena -- the Hallow -- I fought Queen Slime a bunch more times. She dropped a full set of Crystal Assassin armor, which isn't particularly focused on one combat style or another, but offers some massive Defense boosts over the stuff I've got. (Turns out I was out of Adamantite when I made my drill, and I was saving the Titanium ore to make a Titanium Furnace. My armor was Orichalcum mail with Mythril pants. Crystal Assassin blows it away.)

She also drops a new summon spell to get a tiny dagger that flies around and minces away at monsters that get too close. It's base damage is low, but its armor piercing is good and it hits pretty damn fast. For monsters who can be knocked around and prevented from attacking by getting hit, lookin' right at you Ichor Sticker, it effectively shuts them right down.

Eh? What dropped this? I needed one of these.

Aha. You kill 250 or so Pixies and have a shot at one. I killed 250 more and got another. Despite having the theoretically-same drop rate, I got like six or seven Megaphones while collecting my two Clocks. Go figure.

I then shimmered one of them into a Trifold Map.

Just according to The Keikaku. (Trifold Maps are dropped by Giant Bats, but I didn't have a monster farm set up where they normally spawn in regular caverns, whereas I could get Pixies by the dozen just hanging around in my Queen Slime arena. It was easier to just get two Clocks and Shimmer one than go bat hunting.)

Christ that's a lot of spiders.

But that means I got a few more Spider Fangs, which I make into a Spider Staff, and end up taking little creepy-crawlies around with me wherever I go instead of flying daggers. Higher damage, a little slower to get to a target, there's probably a solution that calls for each but I just kind of summon one or the other on a whim.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:26 am

Speaking of things that would be easier to Shimmer, the last ingredients I need for another mega-accessory are rare drops. One from what would be common enemies in a world with surface deserts, but hard to find in DDU. The other is from Medusa, who only shows up in Marble biomes but is a ton more dangerous.

I got the "get a Gnome petrified by being out in the sun" achievement, despite, uh, being in the lowest level of the mushroom biome at the time... in a world with no natural sunlight at all. No idea where this came from, tbh honest

A Crimson Mimic -- I can kill Biome Mimics now -- drops a set of Flesh Knuckles. Which are brass knuckles, but made of bone and meat... which I guess makes them regular knuckles. Anyway, they combine with my Power Glove to make A Berserker's Glove, intended for use in multiplayer by drawing aggro away from other players nearby. I don't care about that part, I care about keeping the Power Glove's abilities and adding in a +8 Defense bonus.

Then I go talk to the Goblin Tinker and have him make it an Armored Berserker's Glove for another +3. Couldn't afford to reroll until I got Warding.

I've mentioned a couple times that playing in October starts a Halloween event, with pumpkins growing in grassy areas, ghosts spawning outside of Ecto Mist, and enemies dropping Goodie Bags that usually open into sets of vanity clothes. Goodie Bags can also give Rotten Eggs, which do 1 or 2 damage, but notably, can be used on normally-invincible NPCs.

Like the Traveling Merchant.

Having been pelted to death by like 200 rotten eggs, he dies and drops his hat. It's a snazzy hat.

It Shimmers into another permanent upgrade, in this case to further Traveling Merchants who appear rather than my player character himself.

On the way to the Shimmer I found a bit of Crimson that had escaped containment and needed cleaning up. I think I got it, and bricked over the gap in the minecart tunnel that I assume was responsible, but I'll keep an eye on the area to make sure.

Arena Building 201: Wide, flat areas for yourself to run around in, since most bosses can fly and pass through solid blocks anyway. Heart statues for health refills, Star statues for mana refills. Put down a Campfire and some Heart Lanterns to boost the HP regen of anyone nearby. And if you're feeling squirrely, build a new house for the Nurse that you can teleport into, have a quick conversation to restore your HP, and then teleport back.

To keep this update from being a sort of "and then I ground for some rare item drops and didn't get them!" wet fart of an update, it's boss-fightin' time.

In Hardmode, enemies can (and as I've shown in previous updates, have!) dropped Mechanical Eyes, Mechanical Skulls, and Mechanical Worms. They summon new, extra-difficult, cybernetic versions of the Eye of Cthulhu, Skeletron, and the Destroyer. The mechanical bosses were implemented before the Crimson was, so there's no cyber-Brain of Cthulhu.

The Destroyer here is typically considered the easiest of the three, as I understand, despite his 80,000 HP. It's a very, very long landworm that charges in and thrashes around, firing lasers from the red turrets on its back. Shooting any given section of Destroyer enough will have the turret break off and fly around on its own as a Drone.

I do a bit of experimentation to see what works best. Destroyer has a lot of defense, so the flying daggers summon do more damage over time than the spiders do. Bananarang does good damage but doesn't pierce through and hit multiple sections of the Destroyer like it did the Wyverns, so its performance is pretty poor. Daedalus Stormbow does okay, since the arrows raining from the sky can hardly miss an enemy that takes up most of the screen, but it tends to leave the Drones free to buzz around for rather longer than I'd like. The best results I could find from the gear I've got come from the Meteor Staff.

I'd found two Worms, so I fought Destroyer twice. Right around the time I killed the second one I got a new NPC to move in. The Steampunker sells yet another different variety of techy gear than the Mechanic or the Goblin Tinkerer (or, I suppose, the Arms Dealer and Demolitionist). She's mostly notable in that the Steampunk Wings she sells are better than most wings that can be crafted at this point in the game.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:03 am

I use a Mechanical Eye to see if I can take down the Twins, the super-version of the Eye of Cthulhu. Or Eyes, in this case, since there are rather obviously two of them, as you may have guessed from the name. They kill me, though.

But I got some Hallowed Bars -- better than Titanium/Adamantite -- and some Souls of Might from the Destroyer. Hallowed Bars make Excalibur, which travels in a full arc around like the Night's Edge did. The long-neglected Minishark, along with some Souls of Might, a couple Shark Fins, and a set of Illegal Gun Parts that the Arms Dealer sells on the down-low crafts the Megashark. I could make Hallowed armor, but I don't have enough bars and honestly, I'm doing better than I expected with the Crystal Assassin stuff.

I get lucky on the Megashark's prefix after only a couple of reforges, but have to settle for something middling on Excalibur because I ran out of money. Reforging this lategame gear is expensive, at 20-30 gold a pop, and the result is random! Sheesh, it's not like precious gems grow on trees!

Oh wait, this is Terraria, precious gems absolutely grow on trees. You just have to build the orchard and enchant the acorns yourself.

(Really thought a pile of 100 diamonds would get me more dosh than this, though...)

Can't have a medium-sized building project without some event to interrupt it, though. I mentioned that the Fishing World experienced a Solar Eclipse, something that couldn't happen in DDU because the sun never comes out anyway. I was half-right. The event happens, but it's not a Solar Eclipse, it's just all the monsters from the Eclipse showing up for no particular reason.

The monsters from the Eclipse being lookalikes for various classic movie monsters. There's a vampire in the dark suit and cape, there's Fritz the hopping hunchback, there's a lumbering Frankenstein and a lumbering Swamp Thing and a lumbering Creature from the Deep. There's a Possessed little girl who can scurry on the walls like a spider, but I've knocked all the background walls out from the areas around my base, so she's stuck crawling on the ground. Apart from the vampire's penchant for turning into a bat to close in quickly and something called "Eyezor" that can shoot lasers at me, virtually everything can be kept at bay by Excalibur. The Megashark, pictured, can pump out damage, but only against one target at a time, so it's not great for crowd control.

ayfkm

I spend the Blood Moon off in the Crimson, hoping to get a rare drop I need from Crimslimes there. It's even close enough to a Marble biome to get the occasional Medusa, maybe I'll get an item drop from one or the other...

I got attacked by a Crimson Mimic right about the same time a Medusa wandered in. I got hit with a petrifying gaze, which drops my defense and keeps me from moving, then the Mimic finished the job. laaaaame

The only reward I got from the Blood Moon and not-Eclipse was some artwork to hang on the wall. laaaaaame!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:29 am

1. Click the Bewitching Table and Sharpening Station back at base, to summon an extra minion and get a bit of armor penetration on attacks. Go ahead and set up either the spiders or flying daggers.
  2. Turn on the switch to start the timer, so the statues start spitting out HP and MP refills.
  3. Mount up, the flying slime mount has much better acceleration and less-floaty jumps than the player character themselves.
  4. Click the Ammo Box, it helps prevent running out of bullets.
  5. Throw down a turret, like the Houndius Shootius.
  6. Eat some tasty food, for a general stat boost.
  7. Press "B" on the keyboard to immediately drink one of every buff potion in the inventory at once. That's health regen, +8 defense, damage counterattacks, extra move speed, a whole bunch of stuff. This is probably the most important step, and the one I forgot when I fought the Twins before like some sort of moron. :V

Finally: Summon the boss, fight, and kill it.

The Twins alternate between hanging back to fire with ranged attacks, or zipping in to try to do contact damage. Retinazer fires narrow lasers, and Spazmatism tosses balls of Cursed Flames. Cursed Flames are like regular flames, but there's no way to put them out (by, say, jumping in water). You've just got to let them burn away by themselves.
But just like the Eye of Cthulhu had a second phase where its iris fell off, the Twins also get more aggressive when their HP is halved. Spazmatism starts spraying Cursed Flames in gouts, or ramming at high speeds back and forth. Retinazer just goes from single shots to wide-angle beam spam. Like most enemies and all the bosses in Hardmode, they're really not something you want to be anywhere near, so swords and spear are nearly useless. You need either magic, a decent firearm, or a yo-yo with a very long string. WIth the Megashark, I am victorious.

Rounding out the set, Skeletron Prime has two extra arms. Instead of swiping with his bony fingers, his arms end in a vise, a chainsaw, a grenade launcher, and a laser cannon. Each has their own HP total, as before.

This means it is possible, once again, to reduce Skeletron to a not-entirely-helpless but not-exactly dangerous lone flying skull.

We've now past the point where my previous Terraria LP stopped... mostly because what comes next hadn't been put into the game yet when I did that first thread. The Mechanical Bosses were all there was to do in Hardmode. Now, "the jungle grows restless" indicates that there's more to do, but not here.

One small advantage of DDU is that the Mechanical Bosses can only be fought at night. This gives sunrise as a hard deadline for the boss to either leave or instantly kill you, I forget which. Without a sunrise, I can fight them anytime I want, and take as long as I need.

The Lore is that the Mechanic was forced to build the cybernetic upgrades to the previous bosses, which is why I found her tied up in a dungeon.

So. Each of the Mech bosses dropped some Hallowed Bars, and some lategame crafting material in Souls. The Destroyer, as I mentioned before, dropped Souls of Might. The Twins drop Souls of Sight. Skeletron Prime drops Souls of Fright. (Remember, the ones from Wyverns are Souls of Flight, from the Hallow are Souls of Light, and the Crimson gives me Souls of Night. We have a theme.)

Some Hallowed Bars and one of each kind of Soul gets me a Drax, a combination drill and axe that can remove any block in the game short of the bricks that the Lihzahrd temple is made of. Yeah, it's still a minute before we can get in there. A few lenses, some Bars, and Souls of SIght nets me an Optic Staff, now replacing the flying daggers/spiders summons with miniature versions of The Twins. Any of the Emblems dropped by the Wall of Flesh and five of each Soul gets me an Avenger's Emblem -- it's only a 12% damage increase instead of 15%, but it applies to melee, ranged, magic, and summon... and stacks with the other Emblems anyway.

An Avenger's Emblem further combines with my Power Glove to make a Mechanical Glove, which gives me the boosts to melee I'm used to and the 12% damage boost to all damage. And if I felt like putting my whole loadout on doing this one thing really well, the Mechanical Glove, Berserker's Glove, Avenger's Emblem, and Warrior's Emblem all stack with each other.

I craft myself a Mechanical Worm and fight the Destroyer one more time, because I ran out of Souls of Might to make the True Night's Edge. I stick with Excalibur for now, because TNE came with a lousy prefix and I'm still low on cash to reroll it, but soon.

Soon.

There are three new things in the Jungle to do.
The first is search for Life Fruit. They only start growing after all three Mech bosses are defeated, and each one is a mini Life Crystal, for +5 max HP.

The second is to dig up the Chlorophyte, now that I have a Drax. This stuff has been in my way since Hardmode started, so in some tunnels and passages it's a relief to be able to get this out of the walls and floors and open the path.

The third thing... well, we'll get to that.