Hottest SNES Game (Ro64)

Moderators: Friday, LaserBeing

Friday

Re: Hottest SNES Game (Ro64)

Postby Friday » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:37 pm

They fix a canon MC for Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, which is sort of a downer.

uh? unless you mean male? I mean, they fix a canon ending (the best one) and give him a name.

Ogre Battle's cool. Like MarioKart, the original is outshined by the N64 counterpart, but the original's pretty decent.

Actually I think OB64 is the weaker game. I do admit to squealing like a schoolgirl when Debonair showed up, though.
ImageImageImage

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Friday wrote:
They fix a canon MC for Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, which is sort of a downer.

uh? unless you mean male? I mean, they fix a canon ending (the best one) and give him a name.

That's what I mean.

Fixing a cannon ending is a serious downer.
Fixing player character name and sex is a double downer, considering the surprisingly few games of that era that allowed player choice the latter.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:14 pm

a cannon ending

ImageImageImage

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:25 pm

Just shoot me (out of a cannon).

EDIT:
OMG. I played the cannon travel tune and my mode 7 life flashed before my eyes.

François

Postby François » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Speaking of better N64 counterparts, Goemon's Great Adventure is still easily among my all-time favorite 2D platformers. (Mystical Ninja starring Goemon is not entirely without merits but it has aged very poorly.)

that Kid Ying and Doctor Yang stuff though, yikes

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:46 pm

DASH DASH DASH

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:48 pm

Man do they need to make more non-Tactics Ogre games. Such an underutilized combat system. Honestly have no real preference for the others, so I'm single-voting this round.

Kishi

Postby Kishi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:24 am

R-Type III: THE THIRD LIGHTNING is full of rockin' music, interesting stage gimmicks, high production value, and very special moments.

I haven't spent much time with any of the other three, but I'm voting for Wild Guns on general principle of shooting giant robots in the Old West.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:25 pm

The poll has ended, but my votes would be for Ogre Battle and Mystical Ninja. Ogre Battle is a game that has never exactly been replicated aside from its one sequel and is especially stand-out at the time of its release, while Mystical Ninja is a quirky little gem that still manages to play well rather than coasting wholly on charm. R-Type 3 is wonderful, but I've never counted R-Type as one of my favorite shmup franchises (I was always more of a Gradius kind of guy) and I've simply never played Wild Guns.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:10 pm

I'll go ahead and honor Niku's Ninja vote to resolve the tie.

Advancing: Ogre Battle, Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Eliminated: R-Type III, Wild Guns

Next up:

34. Alien 3
53. Rock N' Roll Racing
32. Earthworm Jim
36. Harvest Moon
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:34 pm

This is a really hard round precisely because all of these games are solid, but not excellent. Alien 3 is ridiculously atmospheric for an SNES game, but isn't actually a whole lot of fun to play if you really try to dig down into it. Rock N' Roll Racing isn't the best racing game in the world, but the unique perspective and soundtrack make it pretty memorable. Earthworm Jim is fucking gorgeous and borderline unplayable with its shitty, shitty controls. Harvest Moon is an amazing idea done far, far better in its sequels. Earthworm Jim ekes out a spot by being fucking gorgeous and spawning the animated series, which is the best thing to ever come out of the franchise, and also for being genuinely amusing in a few spots. I think Rock n' Roll Racing takes the other spot, because I am a sucker for most games where you can grind for upgrades outside of an RPG context.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:19 pm

Harvest Moon is one of the most relaxing games I've ever played.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:54 pm

The original Harvest Moon is probably the third best in the series. Arguably better since it has the least micromanagement and so allows for the most exploration and creativity.

There are other good games on this list I guess but if Harvest Moon doesn't make it out of the first round I will cut one of you.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:00 pm

EARTHWORM JIM SCORES A FIRST PLACE KNOCK-OUT!
HARVEST MOON FINISHES SECOND!
ROCK 'N' ROLL RACING TAKES A WEAK THIRD.
ALIEN 3 IS IN ANOTHER TIME ZONE!

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Sorry for the wait, was out of town bangin' my super hot gf failing to get boba

Advancing: Earthworm Jim, Harvest Moon
Eliminated: Rock N' Roll Racing, Alien 3

Next up:

17. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
29. Terranigma
10. Super Castlevania IV
11. Metal Warriors
ImageImageImage

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:51 am

Metal Warriors is fucking awesome.

I like the theory of Terranigma but in practice I don't think all the extra moves in the combat system are balanced or RPS enough to add anything, and the characters just aren't quite there for me, so Super Castlevania IV takes it for being a solid Castlevania game.

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:43 am

I feel like for a while I was deeply covetous of Super Street Fighter II Turbo...
But ti's up against Metal Warriors and Terranigma, both games I want to vote for because I feel like my gnilley cred is weak.

I really liked emulating legitimately acquiring copies to play them in the late 90's.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:35 am

SSF2T has blue Blanka in it, therefore it is best.

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:15 am

Metal Warriors is one of the all time greats for both its single-player and multi-player mode. I actually agree with Rico regarding the combat and character work in Terranigma, but the mood of the game and the culmination of Quintet's quirky world-salvaging trilogy ways pushes it near and dear to my heart. The fact that it never got a US release gives it that little bit of hipster cred too, no matter how much the internet blathers about it. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo is a good game, but everyone knows it was the original Street Fighter 2 that was the SNES' jam. Super Castlevania IV was an amazing showpiece for the system that still looks good today and plays well, but is a lesser Castlevania game overall for backpedaling away from several of the gameplay improvements from 3. Metal Warriors is a lock. Terranigma and Castlevania almost come down to a coin flip, but the scoffing holier-than-thou-ness of emulating a long lost game gives Terranigma the edge.

François

Postby François » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:37 am

On one hand, Terranigma's final moments involve saving the world from the apocalyptic plans of a mad scientist working for a god of destruction.

On the other hand, when you arrived, there was nothing. You oversaw the landmasses emerging from the sea. You resurrected plant life, birds, animals, and humans. You shepherded the planet's history. You saw feudalism choke on its own greed, and swept the world clean of its putrid remnants. You oversaw the discovery of new continents, guided the development of civilization, protected the progress of technology. Under your watch, the people not only survived, but also flourished. When the fanatical son of a bitch rises up to bring about the end of the world, it's not just the end of the world. It's the end of your world.

And when victory comes with its tragic revelations, it comes to pass that your world must go on without you. But it's not just because it has to. It's also because, at long last, it can.