Hottest Disney Song Ro68

Moderators: Friday, LaserBeing

Hottest Disney Song

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:38 pm

8. Circle of Life (Lion King)
27%
9. A Whole New World (Aladdin)
18%
28. Kidnap the Sandy Claws (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
18%
30. Sally's Song (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
5%
38. Everybody Wants to be A Cat (The Aristocats)
32%

Total votes: 22
Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Hottest Disney Song Ro68

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:21 pm

42. Baby Mine (Dumbo) ;__; 7

Madness. Madness I tell you.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:30 pm

Dumbo's mom was .. a true patriot. ._;7

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:57 pm

To be fair, it was a close race.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:24 pm

There's been a lot of hay made over the fact that Lin Manuel is going to be a part of Disney for years to come; he's done work on Moana, he's both starring in and doing music for Mary Poppins Returns, and it's going to probably keep paying dividends so long as he remains as creatively engaged as he seems to have been to date. I have a feeling he's going to create a "Disney sound" much like the renaissance period enabled as we move forward.

But you only need Idina once, motherfuckers. Vote 1.

I actually really love Not in Nottingham. It does more to raise the stakes for Robin Hood than just about anything else I can think of in the movie, and it's melancholy without tipping all the way over into dour. There's really stiff competition this round as always, and it's only going to get stiffer. That being said, it's ALMOST a coin toss here, but .. vote 2.

So, speaking of Lin-Manuel-Moana, Jemaine Clement is a goddamn national treasure, even if it's not our nation. Tamatoa's glam spectacle feels like it comes out of nowhere in the middle of Moana, during a segment that already feels more out there than anything that's come before. You're going from slightly mystical water-road-trip to literal realm of the gods to David Bowie Glam Rock Crab Villain at a speed that almost makes it hard to believe what you've reached when it starts happening. It's why I like the brief pause where Maui almost gets his groove back, letting things settle in before the song really kicks in. Beautiful animation (that neon!), great lyrics, perfectly sung. I love Shiny so so much. Vote 3.

When Will My Life Begin is .. okay. Mother Knows Best is pretty much the only song that really, really stuck with me from Tangled, and this opener's not really any exception. It's pleasant while it's there!

The sentimental value of Kanine Krunchies around this household is not enough to make it more than an obnoxiously catchy gimmick. Even if they do make each meal a special treat.

Nearly beating out Not in Nottingham, probably the only reason I'm going to give it the nod instead of Why Should I Worry is also what makes Why Should I Worry really good and interesting in the grand scheme of things is how much it doesn't feel like a "Disney song". It's a great fucking song, set to some really fun animation, but I've spent my entire life needing to remind myself that Oliver and Company is actually a Disney movie and not a Don Bluth joint. With this being Hottest Disney Song and not Hottest Song overall, I'm gonna just barely edge this one over to Robin Hood.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:48 pm

Niku wrote:Dumbo's mom was .. a true patriot. ._;7

Tru dat.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 pm

I actually think the competition is much lighter this round. Let It Go and Shiny are powerhouses, and Not in Nottingham is another soulful understated lament perfect for it's moment in the film. Niku pretty gave the details on these three already, so no point in my repeating what he's already said.

When will my life begin is just sort of mediocre (by the standards of the competition. It's okay as a song), Kanine Krunchies was never ever going to get out of the "group stage", and Why Should I Worry seems like an inferior cover version of a bog standard 80's pop hit (and as Niku said, it doesn't even really have a Disney sound, though if it was a better song, I wouldn't hold that against it).

One thing I do want to add is that Not in Nottingham and Shiny (and You're Welcome and He's a Tramp in the last round) both reflect one of Disney's strengths in music is that they identify popular singers who are already talented in their own right and recruit them. Having Roger Miller play Alan-A-Dale was perfect casting for Robin Hood (one thing you'll notice is that during the "Xerox" lean years, they never ever skimped on the musical talent), just as was bringing on Lin Manuel Miranda to guide songwriting in the modern era.

There's tons of other examples from Phil Harris and Louis Prima pretty much making the Jungle Book, Henry Mancini doing The Great Mouse Detective, and so on. You can definitely trace a huge proportion of Disney's more memorable songs to collaboration with known big names in music at the time.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:42 pm

47. Let It Go (Frozen) 7
40. Not in Nottingham (Robin Hood) 6
33. Shiny (Moana) 6
68. When Will My Life Begin (Tangled) 3
50. Kanine Krunchies (101 Dalmatians) 0
60. Why Should I Worry (Oliver and Company) 4

Next up:

48. Les Poissons (The Little Mermaid)
61. This is Halloween (Nightmare Before Christmas)
51. Oo-De-Lally (Robin Hood)
26. What's This? (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
39. Whistle Stop (Robin Hood)
11. Wanna Be Like You (Jungle Book)

I'm gone, man. Solid gone.
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Les Poissons is the best song ever written. Vote 1. (Okay, I'm half kidding, but I genuinely do love it; the foley work is incredible, and it's like a little slice of Termite Terrace sneaking into a Disney film with Sebastian being chased around and hunted down.)

This is Halloween is a masterclass in tone setting. If you don't know what you're in for at the beginning of Nightmare Before Christmas, then you sure as fuck do by the time the introductory narration and this song have finished. It loses points due to just how many times I heard the tune on repeat while beating up Heartless recently, but it's hard to hold that against it. A++ would shit pants at clown with tearaway face all over again.

Oo-De-Lally is charming as the dickens, and super ear wormy. I might've nudged it up in a different round, but i love the fishsong.

What's This? is the main reason I'm not voting for This Is Halloween; Danny Elfman's voice is fucking incredible. The range of tones and character he gets out of Jack during his numbers is as much a reason the movie works the way it does as the animation and artistry on display; taking nothing away from Chris Sarandon either, because the two of them together make for a character who has really withstood the test of time. What's This? feels like the distillation of the character down, his excitement and wonder infectious throughout. Vote 2.

Whistle Stop got turned into Hamster Dance. Sorry. We don't always get to choose the form of our destroyer.

Wanna Be Like You is the best goddamn thing about Jungle Book, and that's not even to disparage the rest of it; my opinion on Book is pretty much in line with the rest of the 60s-70s output from Disney, where I don't really dislike any of them so much as none of them have really gone on to be my favorites. I caught up with a lot of them later in life, so never got the nostalgia bug. There's a lot to be said too about how problematic King Louie and the monkeys are too, which is honestly a huge knock against this here -- you kinda have to take the whole damn thing out of context to enjoy it. But at the same time it's so good. I'm not sure making it as white as possible does it any favors either. I kinda can't not make it Vote 3, but also not sure I'll be able to push it on in the next round.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Fortunately I have nowhere near the attachment to Les Poissons as Niku does, so I can spare a vote for Oo-De-Lally. Otherwise, voting pretty much the same.

I'd really like to also vote for Whistle Stop, but that's more a nostalgia vote and there are several unquestionably superior songs this round.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:03 pm

48. Les Poissons (The Little Mermaid) 3
61. This is Halloween (Nightmare Before Christmas) 6
51. Oo-De-Lally (Robin Hood) 3
26. What's This? (The Nightmare Before Christmas) 9
39. Whistle Stop (Robin Hood) 2
11. Wanna Be Like You (Jungle Book) 8

Next up:

25. Jack's Lament (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
58. Love is an Open Door (Frozen)
2. Hellfire (Hunchback of Notre Dame)
69. Stand Out (A Goofy Movie)
59. Snuff Out The Light (The Emperor's New Groove)
14. Prince Ali (Aladdin)

MAAAAKE WAAAAAAAAAAAY

genuflect, show some respect
ImageImageImage

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:15 am

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:44 am

Esperath wrote:

I remember discovering this album at my friends' parents' place. The shit that tickled us the most was the crazy death wind sound effect at the end that just comes out of nowhere.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:27 am

As I said before, Danny Elfman is an incredible singer. What's This? definitely shows this off in what I feel is the standout from an absolutely packed soundtrack, but Jack's Lament is probably the best showcase for just what he can do. It's sweet and melancholy while still having a line ready to remind you that Jack's still supposed to be a terrifying figure even if he's yearning for something more. Not voting for it here purely because I prefer What's This? in the end, but shout outs too for containing one of the most iconic shots not just in Nightmare, but in Disney's entire catalog as Jack descends the curled hill.

Love is an Open Door is catchy, sweet, and silly. It's an on the nose metaphor for how Anna's felt all this time on the other side of Elsa's closed door, it's got an Arrested Development reference, it's got that fun little lyrical reading on synchronization, and it's the only Disney song I can think of off hand with a Crazy Ex-Girlfriend cast member (as opposed to Lea Salonga's appearance in the season one finale where a Disney princess invades the show). It's a frothy song that nonetheless does work with Anna's emotional place and does even more work in hindsight with the villain reveal, and I like it an awful lot. Vote 1.

Hellfire is going to win this tournament. Vote 2.

Stand Out is fantastic, and makes me wish we had ever gotten a REAL Disney Prince, but suffers a little in the same way that Why Should I Worry does in that it doesn't feel like a "Disney song" really. It works better in the context of the movie and the animation than it does on its own, and is a really crowd pleasing finale. Wish I was voting for it, but I'm not.

Snuff Out the Light shouldn't really be in the competition since it was never actually in a theatrical release, but it was on the official soundtrack I think? But I'm glad it is because it's an Eartha Kitt villain song, and holy shit is that something I am so glad exists in my life. I love the cadence of the song, the way it rises and builds, and the way it ends with what sounds like just straight up chanting some ancient goddamn magic spell. I love the story it tells for this version of Yzma, and I say "my enemy, the sun" way too often in my everyday life, because Texas. The story of what Emperor's New Groove could have been is fascinating (hey, do you have an hour and a half for the documentary all about that? Of course you do!), and this is just one more piece of that puzzle. I'm pretty much only not voting for it on the technicality of its inclusion, but in fairness, it's damn near a toss-up between this and ..

PRRIIIIIIIIINCE ALI, VOTING FOR THREE, BECAUSE OF NOSTAL-GIA.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:42 am

man Snuff Out the Light is great in a genre disney doesn't usually go for

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:15 am

25. Jack's Lament (The Nightmare Before Christmas) 5
58. Love is an Open Door (Frozen) 3
2. Hellfire (Hunchback of Notre Dame) 9
69. Stand Out (A Goofy Movie) 2
59. Snuff Out The Light (The Emperor's New Groove) 5
14. Prince Ali (Aladdin) 13

Tiebreaking Snuff Out over Jack's Lament because I like it better.

Next up:

45. Bibbity Bobbity Boo (Cinderella)
23. Kiss the Girl (The Little Mermaid)
62. The Bells of Notre Dame (Hunchback of Notre Dame)
57. Sugar Rush (Wreck-it Ralph)
17. When I See An Elephant Fly (Dumbo)
65. A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes (Cinderella)
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:20 am

Weird. I thought I voted in the last round, but I never did. But no worries, the three that I would have voted for all advanced anyway!

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Bibbity Bobbity Boo is some super-extra Disney nonsense. I mean, that's not a knock against it. But Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious did it better later down the road, and just way too much of BBB is tied up in the explanations and conversations and animation to make the song really all that great as a standalone. It's a classic, but not one that ever gets any play in my Youtube Disney binging.

I want to be very clear that the song I'm voting for with Kiss the Girl is definitely Scuttle's opening number and not all the BS that follows. Vote 1. (Actually Kiss the Girl might be one of the most fun Disney love-songs. It's not as treacly and self-important as many of the 90s ones ended up being, and "Sha la la la la la" is top-tier earworminess .. while also letting Scuttle come back in during it. Also all them aminals REALLY want to watch some humans bone down.)

More like the Belles of Notre Dame, amirite?? As far as place-setting songs go, not one of the better ones. It's perfectly alright, it just doesn't stand out in the same way a lot of the other Disney songs with its purpose do. It's a bit too on-the-nose in its narration, and as much as I appreciate the high drama it tries to bring in its choral chanting, it's done so much better later in the film with Hellfire when it really gets to spread its wings instead of being teased throughout the inferior opening.

S U G A R JUMP INTO YOUR RACING CAR. yeah by all rights i have given other songs shit for not sounding like disney songs but i'm a fucking weeb what do you want from me. vote 2.

*tugs on collar* moving on. I can mostly overlook the "time and place"iness for the purposes of voting of I Wanna Be Like You because of it being such a straight up jam, but it's a lot harder with a song I was never really all that fond of to begin with.

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes is about as classic Disney as you can get. I'm not sure I like it quite as much as Once Upon a Dream when it comes to this particular style of Disney Princess ditty, but it's awfully damn close. Ilene Woods' voice is absolutely gorgeous in this, even if the standard "let the funny animals sing along" bit is a little more grating during the song because of the contrast. Vote 3.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:12 pm

While the crows in "I Saw a Elephant Fly" superficially fit old minstrel stereotypes, they're clever and intelligent as shown by their wordplay, they're the only supporting characters in the movie with agency (and freedom - in a movie where most of the characters are literally chained up, caged, or beholden to a harsh master, this is pretty notable) and the only characters other than Timothy who are open-minded and sympathetic to Dumbo and actively help him. They were also played by black voice actors, IIRC (which would be bad if they really were straight minstrelsy, but was a good outcome here).

So their seemingly-archaic portrayal actually doesn't bother me in this regard.

This is actually a big part of why that was the easiest vote for me this round.

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Coming out a year after Fantasia and a few before Song of the South, I'm not really sure if I'm going to give 1940s Disney the benefit of the doubt on this one; especially since the lead crow's name is "Jim" and is actually voiced by a white actor (you might remember him from such other roles as Jiminy Cricket!).

I don't disagree that things could've been much worse, and I think it's a catchy enough song, it's just not catchy enough for me to overlook the "ennnnngh" factor.

MORAL OF THE THREAD: NIKU'S COOL WITH RACISM AS LONG AS HE CAN TAP HIS TOES TO IT

ROLL THAT BEAUTIFUL BEAN FOOTAGE*

*"WHAT MAKES THE RED MAN RED"

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Niku wrote:Coming out a year after Fantasia and a few before Song of the South, I'm not really sure if I'm going to give 1940s Disney the benefit of the doubt on this one; especially since the lead crow's name is "Jim" and is actually voiced by a white actor (you might remember him from such other roles as Jiminy Cricket!).

I don't disagree that things could've been much worse, and I think it's a catchy enough song, it's just not catchy enough for me to overlook the "ennnnngh" factor.

MORAL OF THE THREAD: NIKU'S COOL WITH RACISM AS LONG AS HE CAN TAP HIS TOES TO IT

ROLL THAT BEAUTIFUL BEAN FOOTAGE*

*"WHAT MAKES THE RED MAN RED"

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's not entirely without problems. A stereotype is still a stereotype.

But I can overlook that in this case precisely because it ISN'T Song of the South. Their having agency is really the main thing there; they're worthy of respect as characters rather than mockery.

(And I do think the song is catchy enough and the playful lyrics are wonderful).

Speaking of which, oh man, the worst Disney "ennnnngh" moment for me is probably the Columbus portion of "Stick-to-it-ivity". Oh My God, Disney, No.