The Star Trek Thread

JD

Re: The Star Trek Thread

Postby JD » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:02 pm

I think they sold him on the political message. In the real world you have Brexit, Trump, and an increase of xenophobia, anti-immigrant and anti-refugee sentiment. Captain Picard is exactly the principled sort of individual who would speak out against this this sort of thing. The backstory is about Picard standing up for the right to life and dignity of all sentient species, even one's enemies, and I think Stewart has cited a current-day need for Picard's moral values as a reason he took the role.

The actual series is mostly about a ragtag crew taking an adventure into the Beta Quadrant with vaguely defined motives and goals.

The latest episode reveals that Commodore Oh is actually half-Vulcan, half-Romulan. This neatly explains why she can do a mind meld, but also needs to wear sunglasses. However, we find out that she's half-Romulan in another of those scenes where people just plot dump information to each other.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:39 am

JD wrote:I think they sold him on the political message. In the real world you have Brexit, Trump, and an increase of xenophobia, anti-immigrant and anti-refugee sentiment. Captain Picard is exactly the principled sort of individual who would speak out against this this sort of thing. The backstory is about Picard standing up for the right to life and dignity of all sentient species, even one's enemies, and I think Stewart has cited a current-day need for Picard's moral values as a reason he took the role.

Right, the message that the world is dark and we need more people like Jean-Luc Picard who believe in doing the right thing and setting an example for others is exactly the right one for our times.

The problem -- and I think this is a problem with a lot of works with that message -- is that it gets way too bogged down in showing us how shitty everything is. It thinks it needs to demonstrate just how bad things are to show why decent people are needed.

Which frankly is entirely unnecessary and redundant. I don't need the show to demonstrate human depravity to me. I'm with Sharkey: if I wanted a cyberpunk dystopia, I'd watch the news. You don't need to demonstrate that the world is fucked up; I live here. If you just cut to the part where the hero is upbeat and fundamentally decent, I'm capable of figuring out that's a contrast to real-world cynicism and despair all by myself. No pulling out eyeballs or executing mental patients or jettisoning people into space en masse required.

I get that there are stories where you really need to show the darkness before the dawn. But -- and I'm something of a Star Trek casual here, so Real Fans can correct me if I'm wrong -- but Star Trek's never felt like that to me before. It always felt to me like a series that depicted the better angels of humanity by studiously not showing how shitty everything was in real life, by putting women and minorities and PWD and Russians alongside traditional square-jawed white American male sci-fi heroes like it wasn't no thing. It's not like the various earlier series didn't deal with the heavy issues of the times like racism or war, but I remember them being pretty light on the eye-gouging and more interested in dealing with the racism-and-war stuff through metaphor than tackling it directly.

Course, there's another pretty obvious reason why Patrick Stewart would do this: it's an excuse to hang out with his old friends. Which in itself is no bad thing, either; honestly I could have done with a lot more of him catching up with Riker and Troi and a lot less of really everything else.

He's said he wants to make sure everybody else gets a chance to show up before the series ends. We haven't seen Worf, Geordi, or the Crushers yet, and he went on The View and asked Whoopi to appear as Guinan in season 2.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:32 am

Reminder that Patrick Stewart has played a regular character on American Dad for probably a decade now.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Reminder that Patrick Stewart played the Poop emoji in the emoji movie.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Reminder that Patrick Stewart is not actually Jean-Luc Picard in real life, as much as he sounds like him.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:34 am

Reminder that Patrick Stewart is now the required way to begin all posts in this thread from now on, and I will be very put out by the person that first breaks this rule

And you have to have it make sense

Like it can't be "Reminder that Patrick Stewart SO EPISODE 8 WAS ACTUALLY PRETTY GOOD"

it has to be like "Reminder that Patrick Stewart has good acting chops, as the scene where Picard does X in X made me feel feelings I thought were long dead"

Thank you that is all
ImageImageImage

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:50 am

Reminder that Patrick Stewart to go fer anudder five rounder, wooden wanter ta break th' poor bastid.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:55 am

Reminder that Patrick stewart katto.

pisa katto.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

JD

Postby JD » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:34 am

Reminder that Patrick Stewart

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:33 am

Reminder that Patrick Stewart's choice to do this show, while probably bad on balance to Star Trek's legacy, is more than redeemed by RLM's progressive thumbnails

I'm almost sad that they did a Corona Virus themed one (though it's still fitting) because I wanted to just see their entire skulls exploding in red light

and then the final thumbnail is just a red rectangle with two disintegrating skeletons in it
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 15, 2020 3:31 pm

Reminder that Patrick Stewart's series is one of many in the Star Trek pipeline, the latest of which is Strange New Worlds, starring Captain Pike. Which is not altogether surprising given how Discovery season 2 ended.

Anson Mount did a fine job as Captain Pike, and while I didn't think much of Ethan Peck's Spock, I think most of the blame belongs to the writing team, not Peck himself.

There's potential, but it's hard to get excited about another series given that the two* we've seen so far have suffered from a mix of nostalgia for old Trek and a tone that doesn't match old Trek at all. I can't muster any enthusiasm for Strange New Worlds, but I can suggest at least it'll probably be better than Inspector 34 or whatever the Michelle Yeoh one is called.

* Short Treks is pretty good, if you want to count it

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri May 15, 2020 4:41 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri May 15, 2020 5:03 pm

Reminder that Patrick Stewart's namesake character's series was supposed to be *the above tweet*.

JD

Postby JD » Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sun May 31, 2020 1:05 am

Reminder that Patrick Stewart looms ominously over current events.

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun May 31, 2020 3:57 am

Reminder that Patrick Stewart is looming over us all
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:57 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:39 pm

Male Seven of Nine is actually the hottest in that collection.
ImageImageImage

JD

Postby JD » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:51 am

I've been watching all of Star Trek sequentially, and recently finished Voyager. I kept count of the number of times a main character in Voyager dies, only to be fine by the end of the episode so that show can safely air out-of-order in syndication.

I counted a total of 67, of which 25 are characters who appear to die but are revealed to be holograms, hallucinations, illusions or illusory duplicates; and 42 instances where a character dies but is restored to life through time travel, dimensional duplicates, advanced medicine, or spontaneously returning to life thanks to mutations caused by going at Warp 10. It works out to approximately one instance every 2.5 episodes.

Now I'm starting on Enterprise, where so far Trip has gotten male pregnant, an away mission is scuffed when the entire crew starts tripping balls, and Earth is revealed to be only 80 hours away from the Klingon homeworld at Warp 5 yet they have somehow never gone to war.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:10 am

Trip getting mpreg'd is the best fucking thing ever because it's by some alien who just touches him in a boat and then he's pregg. And then everyone was like DUH DIDN'T YOU KNOW THAT'S THEIR MATING RITUAL?!?!

like jesus christ your mating ritual is "I reach over and touch your arm"???? You must be fun at parties

also how is your species not like shunned by all other sentients because you literally impregnate random fucking aliens you met five minutes ago
ImageImageImage