Let's all go to the movies~

Thad

Re: Let's all go to the movies~

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:57 am

Re-watched Into the Spiderverse.

I think my favorite detail I missed the first time around is that Aunt May addresses Doc Ock as "Liv".

Aunt May totally dated Doc Ock in this universe too.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:35 pm

And I watched Across the Spiderverse for the first time.

Spoilers for that and also Final Fantasy 7 Remake:

So that's kinda wild that they both have pretty much the same plot, right?

I mean, heroes fighting fate is a classic conflict, and it's probably inevitable that the trend toward remakes and reboots would eventually lead to a postmodernist take where characters are aware of the plot beats of the previous version of the story and intentionally refuse to go along with them. But it's interesting that it would happen in two pretty-big-deal projects, in different media and genres but with a significant overlap in their audiences, so close together. And that both would essentially play it straight rather than take a winking approach like Scream.

Given that every success spawns imitators, I wonder where else we'll be seeing this premise in the coming years. And what the less-competent attempts will end up looking like.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:29 pm

Thad wrote:And I watched Across the Spiderverse for the first time...

This is taking forever to type out because I can't focus on one aspect of these kinds of stories, or remakes, to focus on. Arguably Bravely Default started this (and I'm sure there's something else further down the line that was doing similar stuff) and that was the first entry into a series/world.

I would put Bravely Default, FF7RE, Across The Spiderverse, and Trigun Stampede on some kind of a Punnett Square.

Bravely Default you essentially play through the game and get a bad ending, then start a replay of the same story slightly twisted. And continue to do this multiple times until the characters learn about the will of fate and how to defy it.

FF7RE Requires you play the original to understand the will of fate, though it openly advertises active changes in the "intended" story through the reunion ghost guys. I feel like the reasons the story changes isn't because of some kind of meta control thing in spite of this. In the first part at least it seems like the changes all come back to Cloud being able to open up more to people, and how that effects him and his friends.

Spiderverse Is multiverse shenanigans. Spidermanses are known things and there are rules to how they work that must be followed to keep everything in order. Without even learning this Miles intuitively understands that fear of change shouldn't overrule doing the right thing in the moment. It's meta in a marvel universe sense, but not as much in and of itself

Stampede Is similarly not really very meta in-and-of itself. It's a very similar but different story to the original. You don't
need to have seen the original, and changes aren't based out of in-universe knowledge of the will of fate. Arguably this is just a diferent version of the story with positives and negatives. But I would argue back that in this case it is all negatives and just a worse version of the story.

The meta of the property and the meta of the will of fate in any of the materials varies, and certainly shouldn't be grouped up as the same type of theming. But I would agree that Spiderverse and FF7RE are both about characters making good choices going against, and without knowledge of, a will of fate that very much is present in-universe.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:32 pm

I interpreted Spidervere as being about how hard it is to write a Spider-man story when everyone keeps telling you kill Gwen Stacey because it's 'canon'
signature

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:06 pm

beatbandito wrote:Stampede Is similarly not really very meta in-and-of itself. It's a very similar but different story to the original. You don't
need to have seen the original, and changes aren't based out of in-universe knowledge of the will of fate. Arguably this is just a diferent version of the story with positives and negatives. But I would argue back that in this case it is all negatives and just a worse version of the story.

Hm. That kind of just sounds like an ordinary remake?

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:52 am

KingRoyal wrote:I interpreted Spidervere as being about how hard it is to write a Spider-man story when everyone keeps telling you kill Gwen Stacey because it's 'canon'

I think that's probably part of it. We do get one brief acknowledgement that Gwen dies in most realities, and I'm curious if there will be any more discussion of that in movie 3. (We can safely rule out this Gwen dying; among other reasons, she's getting her own movie.)

I'd say the rules of the formula are upheld, though, because in her universe she lives and Peter dies. You swap around the players a bit but it's still the same story.

No Way Home shows that when there's no Uncle Ben, Aunt May has to die. I didn't really like that about it for a number of reasons, but it's another way of maintaining the formula with a little bit of recasting.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:19 pm

Bottoms is a good movie people should see. It drags a bit in the third act but rounds out.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:19 pm

I do like it when a good Bottom is rounded out

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:32 am

yeah bottoms is very much My Style of Humor a lot of the time which makes me overlook its rough edges easily, absolute recommend

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:39 pm

Godzilla Minus One's been nominated for an Oscar (special effects) for the first time in the franchise's 70 years, and the effects crew's reaction is such a wonderful wholesome thing.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:19 pm

signature

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:20 pm

KingRoyal wrote:

Whatever this was, it looks like it's gone already? Though when I googled the url it gave this different URL, which is nevertheless a recent movie trailer and looks crazy awesome?

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:24 pm

Nay, accidentally added a `p` to the end of the URL. First time I didn't bother to check whether I had used the YouTube tab correctly and I played myself
signature

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:29 pm

Fried Barry is Starman if John Carpenter wasn't the director but instead the lead actor.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:41 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:58 pm

Also the guy who he does kill was fucking firing at him while he surrendered.

Edit: Nope, I was misremembering. Galt fires at him while he's helplessly clinging to a rock face, forcing him to let go and drop. Then he continues firing at him while he takes cover behind a tree, until Rambo throws a rock at the copter that makes Galt lose his balance and fall to his death.

He's surrendering, hands in the air, when Teasle (first) opens fire from the cliff above at him along with the other cops.

He also probably kills two/three* cops opening fire at him from their car while he's driving a hijacked army truck by forcing them into another parked car. I would say it's reasonable to say that Rambo kills four cops during the course of the film. Some of them may have survived the crash, of course, but yeah.

*It's possible on of the men in the cop car firing at him is Robert A, the national guard kid Rambo steals the truck from. It's unclear if it's the same cop car the kid is found by, and if he hopped inside after telling them his truck had been hijacked. If it was him, the kid was in the backseat, also firing at Rambo. So it's either four cops or three cops and a national guard guy.
ImageImageImage