Let's all go to the movies~

Mongrel

Re: Let's all go to the movies~

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 15, 2020 3:13 pm

George Miller Furiosa prequel confirmed.

Might be bad, but it might be AWESOOOOOOMMMMMMMME

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun May 17, 2020 12:33 pm

Scoob! is a pretty awful movie and a pretty awful Scooby Doo movie for the most part (there IS some good translation of classic goof-em-ups into the new animation style here and there) but as a game of spot-the-reference it’s pretty damn good. And Dick Dastardly is used appropriately in his role as best Hanna-Barbera character, and even makes a lot of sense as the villain — the entire movie is about doggie friendships at its core.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun May 17, 2020 2:15 pm

And hey, it got Frank Welker a writeup in the Washington Post.

And it's a pretty good article, even if I fucking hate headlines that address readers in the second person and tell them they don't know things. Fuck you, headline writer; don't tell me I don't know Frank Welker's face.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 21, 2020 11:22 am

The Snyder Cut is coming to HBO Max in 2021.

Presumably COVID-19 has changed the value proposition. THR quotes unnamed sources estimating this is going to cost $20-$30 million to put together, and I can see why AT&T wouldn't have wanted to spend that money on a direct-to-video release six months ago but would change its mind now that everybody's in lockdown and filming new stuff is off the table. A direct-to-video release of a movie where they've already got the footage, they just need to edit it, and it's already got demonstrated demand from a small-but-dedicated fanbase, has got to sound like a much better investment now than it did before.

I'll admit a certain morbid curiosity. I didn't hate Justice League, but I suspect most of the reasons I didn't hate it were down to Snyder leaving the film and Whedon finishing it.

I thought Batman veeee Superman was long and ponderous and boring, but it at least had moments that made it memorably bad, most obviously the Martha bit. I don't know if the Snyder Cut will even rise to that level.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:42 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:39 am

6/9, dudes!

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:57 pm

CNN has a neat profile on James Hong.

It's always a delight to see or hear that guy in anything.

And it's always nice to see older performers like Hong get this kind of attention while they're still alive; too often, when you see an article like this looking back at a decades-spanning career, it's an obit.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:56 pm

I thought this panel was most excellent. It's a little overcrowded for being only 43 minutes long; Dean Parisot (director) and William Sadler (Death) don't really get to say much. But Keanu and Alex, Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon (creators), and Samara Weaving (Thea) and Brigette Lundy-Paine (Billie) all get some good stories in.

I particularly like the bit at the end about how we all saw Keanu Reeves transform from star of a slacker comedy to an unlikely action hero, but from the younger generation's perspective it looks like they're seeing the reverse happen. They've only ever known Keanu as John Wick or that guy who was in those movies with Samara's uncle.

And speaking of Alex Winter, here's a press release announcing distribution of his Frank Zappa documentary, coming this Thanksgiving.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:56 pm

...okay I stumbled down a "read a bunch of old posts in the thread" rabbit-hole and I ran across this

Mothra wrote:My friend from Ecchi-Attack did a writeup of the new Kingsman movie. He was... not a fan.

Stephen Blythe wrote:There is also the Scottish guy, whose sole purpose is to be gruff but SECRETLY ALSO FETISHISING ENGLISHNESS AND DESIRING TO BE ENGLISH ALL ALONG. When Scotsman: The Gilded Dildo is killed off, in a heroic sacrifice as pointless as it is intended to be emotionally affecting, he sings a beautiful (English? Scottish?)

...are those sarcastic question marks? Is the joke that he is questioning why a Scotsman who fetishizes England is singing a John Denver song? Or did he really hear Take Me Home, Country Roads and not catch that it was about West Virginia?

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:45 pm

Also it appears that I wrote the exact same monologue about how Ditko would be okay with Snyder's violence but would hate his morality twice.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:14 pm

Really?

Because they've both got their heads up Ayn Rand's asshole.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:40 pm

Well, even John Galt could hate Holden Caulfield.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:58 am

Did you overall enjoy that incredibly, mind-blowingly shitty Kingsman sequel Thad?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:31 am

Watched Overlord recently. Overall I liked it a lot, thanks mostly to a great cast playing the "nazi zombies during World War 2" premise straight.

Don't want to spoil much, but having lower-levels of technology tends to make creature features a lot better, I'm finding.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:59 pm

Büge wrote:Really?

Because they've both got their heads up Ayn Rand's asshole.

Here's how I see it (both times):

Thad wrote:You know what I just thought of that I can't get out of my head?

How much I would have loved to see Ditko review Man of Steel and tear Snyder a new one for being a bad objectivist.

I'm not sure he would have objected to the neck-snapping*, but he would have hated all the moping and the uncertainty and the bad "maybe don't save that bus full of kids" advice from Pa Kent. It was a movie with a gray palette and what Ditko liked to call gray morality. Anti-life, anti-reason, anti-hero.

I also suspect he would have been less than pleased by the B-story about a dogged reporter tracking down the private personal information of a man who just wanted to be left alone. Though he might have liked the ending where she chose not to publish any of that stuff and just let the man's public deeds speak for themselves.

* Ditko made it very clear in his writing that he thought it was morally acceptable for a superhero to kill a villain so long as the villain was the first one to initiate the use of force. Indeed, that's the entire premise of A Right to Kill, which, for my money, is the best Mr. A story. Mr. A shoots the villain and then delivers a monologue about how the initiation of force is always wrong, but the use of lethal force against someone who initiated force is justified. Ditko wasn't big on subtext.

Ditko preferred to cut away or go abstract with the depiction of violence, so he might have objected to the neck snapping on aesthetic grounds. But I don't think would have criticized the movie for being too violent; he wrote an oft-reprinted essay titled Violence: The Phony Issue, where he argued, once again, that it's the initiation of force that is wrong, and that focusing on violence rather than the initiation of force that leads to it is a distraction.

Thad wrote:
Thad wrote:You know what? Somebody should put Zack Snyder in touch with Robin Snyder, see if they can reach a deal to make a Mr. A movie or something. Dude wants to do violent superheroes who get their morality from Ayn Rand, he's got options that don't involve Superman snapping necks and machine guns on the Batmobile.

You know, I'm being unfair to Ditko here. Mr. A never branded anybody. And while he would absolutely snap a villain's neck, he wouldn't demolish half a major city first. And if anybody in a Ditko comic tells somebody not to save a bus full of kids, you better believe they're not the hero.

And for all that Mr. A will remorselessly kill somebody who takes a swing at him and then deliver a two-page monologue about the initiation of force, he also believes in redemption, at least sometimes. My favorite Mr. A story is about a thug who's just gotten out of prison; he's tempted to go back into his old life with his old gang, but in the end, he chooses to do the right thing. That's really pretty core to Ditko's morality: the idea that right and wrong can be quantified, scales can be balanced, debts can be paid. The premise of that story is that the criminal did wrong, but he paid his debt to society and he gets to start with a clean slate. From there, he has the same choice as anybody else, between right and wrong.

It's all reductive, childish nonsense, of course, but this is superheroes we're talking about. And I vastly prefer Steve Ditko's reductive, childish nonsense to Zack Snyder's.

(You may note that I refer to two different Mr. A stories as "my favorite" in those two posts. Well, I covered that too. I posted this right after that first one:)

Thad wrote:...you know what, I take it back. Actually I think the best Mr. A story is the one with the ex-con who goes straight. It's the only Mr. A story that has even the slightest bit of complexity to its morality. (Basically, the moral of that one is that the scales can be balanced and redemption is possible. There are other Ditko stories and essays that deal with that premise -- scales were one of his favorite symbols to draw -- but I don't think there are any other Mr. A stories that do.)

Mothra wrote:Did you overall enjoy that incredibly, mind-blowingly shitty Kingsman sequel Thad?

Did I enjoy it? Yes.

Did I think it was incredibly, mind-blowingly shitty? Also yes.

Thad wrote:I liked Golden Circle.

But it was dumb.

Very, very dumb. Powerfully dumb.

No part of the movie made any kind of sense. The villain's plot made no sense. The heroes' plan to stop the villain's plot made no sense. The President's plan...well, okay, the President in the movie is actually smarter than the actual President, so even though his plan is very, very dumb, I gotta admit it's not nearly as implausible as it should be.

Nothing anybody does makes sense. A couple of bits really stretch logic just for the sake of a puerile gag, because Mark Millar. In an early scene, Eggsy jumps in a sewer, because he has an engagement that's far too important for him to wait until he can leave the place where he's holed up (in his hurry he also makes a major fuckup that sets up the plot of the rest of the movie; this is briefly addressed later but he spends no time at all feeling guilty or responsible for getting everybody in Kingsman except himself and Merlin killed -- again!). What is this engagement that's so important he can't possibly be late? It's not meeting his girlfriend's (royal) parents; that's tomorrow; he swims through a river of shit because for some reason he can't be late for his friend's birthday party.

Similarly, a later, labored bit reprises the "agents compete to pick up the girl in the bar" scene from the first movie, because somebody has to plant a tracking device on a woman, and it has to be inserted into her vagina. (Because it will only work if it's inserted into a mucus membrane, for some reason, and nobody can think of any way to convince a character who is doing drugs at a music festival to stick something up her nose.)

There's also a scene where Eggsy uses a watch that, he has previously explained, can hack any computer; this scene is immediately followed by a scene where he can't get into Julianne Moore's computer until she tells him her password.

Also, for some reason when Eggsy leaves town and has a friend house-sit, he leaves the room with his arsenal in it unlocked.

The movie also left me with so many questions about ski lift design.

The cast is great though most of the big names are vastly underused. Jeff Bridges and Channing Tatum are barely in it; maybe we'll see more of them in the next one. Julianne Moore is the highlight as the villain.

Did I say Jeff Bridges and Julianne Moore are in this? Well, one thing you will definitely notice about this movie is that Matthew Vaughn really likes the Coen Brothers. In addition to casting a couple of actors from Big Lebowski, there is also a bowling alley in the movie, and the scene that introduces Moore homages both the movie and TV versions of Fargo.

I think a lot of what's wrong with the movie comes down to the tone. It feels like Brosnan-era Bond (but with considerably less Halle Berry); it knows how silly it is and it's winking at you a little bit about it, but it still plays mostly straight. When really, given all the shit that's happening, the tone of this movie should fall somewhere between Get Smart and The Naked Gun. (One of the highlights involves Elton John busting out a bunch of ninja moves to defeat a bunch of guards.) It would be a lot easier to accept the complete lack of coherence and anything-for-a-gag tortured reasoning of this movie if it had some zany sound effects.

Also, there's an early line about Valentine collecting celebrities, and...did that happen in the first movie? It happened in the comic, but I don't remember it happening in the movie. (I was kinda surprised that Mark Hamill was in the first movie but played a character instead of himself; I only read the first two issues of the comic, but I remember specifically that the villain was targeting actors from Star Wars.)

Speaking of the first movie, Golden Circle makes no sense if you haven't seen Secret Service. It does not explain who these characters are, what they've been through, or what their relationship is to each other. A pivotal scene involves Eggsy jogging Colin Firth's memory by threatening to shoot a dog; you'll know why this is significant if you saw the first movie, but it's not going to mean a hell of a lot if you didn't.

Several major characters die in this movie, but it also brings back two characters who died in the first movie. Which is something of a problem, because once you start bringing characters back from the dead, it eliminates the stakes. Sure, a couple major characters die in this one, but that doesn't mean they won't be back in the next one. It's kinda like when Whistler dies in Blade 3 and nobody gives a fuck because he already died in Blade 1 and then came back in Blade 2.

Anyway, I liked The Golden Circle. It entertained me. But it really should have leaned more into being a straight-up spoof, because nothing that happens makes any kind of logical sense.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:42 pm

I'd say that one scene with the big battle and the rolling sign/statue was pretty good?

Really nothing coming close to the first Kingsman. I guess they tried at least, which is good to see.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:50 pm

That movie exists in a very weird space in my brain where I both do and don't remember watching it.

(IIRC, my dad brought it over one of the times he used to come and stay for a night or two to cut his ridiculous commute).

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:33 am

Expanding a bit more on why I think Ditko would hate Man of Steel:

Ditko hated antiheroes. He believed "antihero" was a contradiction in terms; someone who's not heroic is a villain. A is A, and not-A is not-A. Not-A cannot possibly be A. There can be no lie in a truth; no poison in a medicine. (I am sure he would have had a prepared response if you pointed out that actually lots of medicines are made of very small doses of poison.)

He hated the trend, from the '70s on, for superheroes to operate in gray areas; Mr. A's whole deal is that there is only black and white, no gray, gray is just an excuse that people use when they choose black instead of white. He hated heroes who lack confidence, too, who mope and whine and question themselves and can't decide on the right thing to do. He rejected the notion that superheroes have to be flawed because real people are flawed; his argument was that superheroes aren't real people, and that in fiction we can have idealized aspirational figures who are better than we are.

Thing is, I agree with a lot of that. I'm okay with moral complexity in my superhero comics, of course, but I think I've made it pretty clear that I hate the relentless grimdark, the misery and the angst that's become the default setting for superhero comics over the last few decades. It bears noting that Ditko's answer to that in the '80s, when he went back to Marvel, was characters like Speedball and Squirrel Girl.

I think Snyder's Superman was everything Ditko hated about modern superheroes. And that's one of those things I can agree with him on.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:36 am

So I heard they released a trailer for the Snyder Cut and after I watched all the other trailers I was like fuck it, I've got three minutes to kill, let's see this thing

And it starts out with an unconvincing CG Darkseid and then a screaming Superman and they're both weirdly cropped to 4:3 and "Hallelujah" is playing and I'm like, "Oh, this isn't a real trailer, this is somebody making fun of Zack Snyder."

It was the real trailer.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:23 am