Let's all go to the movies~

Thad

Re: Let's all go to the movies~

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:04 pm

Also: they've announced that Sinbad will be appearing in Shazam 2. ("People already thought I was in the first one.")

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:11 pm

HAHAH

Oh wow. Lordy, that's perfect.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:23 am

Another good Bill and Ted interview:

I like the bit where the interviewer talks about how Bogus Journey succeeds as a comedy sequel by going in a completely unexpected direction. And I got to thinking, what other comedy sequels have done that? And my first thought was Gremlins 2. If you saw Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and then imagined a sequel, it wouldn't look anything like Bogus Journey, and if you saw Gremlins and then imagined a sequel, it wouldn't look anything like Gremlins 2.

Also, they talk about stuff that couldn't be included in Bogus Journey and Keanu mentions a car chase scene involving a giant rabbit. If you want some idea what that would have looked like, check out Bill & Ted's Excellent Comic Book Archive, which includes Evan Dorkin's adaptation of Bogus Journey, based on an earlier version of the script. (Basically as I remember it, near the end of the story, before their confrontation with DeNomolos, Bill and Ted's nightmares from Hell -- Colonel Oats, the Easter Bunny, and Granny S Preston, Esquire -- follow them to Earth and they have to confront them.)

Also the Daily Mail got ahold of some of the original audition tapes from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (including Keanu and Alex reading as Bill and Ted, respectively). I won't embed them here because giving the Daily Mail views makes my scalp itch, but they're pretty fascinating if you want to look them up. (Word of caution: if you haven't watched the first movie lately, you may have forgotten how often they casually toss around the f-slur.)

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:14 pm

I have watched the movie recently, because outer heaven, and the finished script only uses that word one time.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:44 pm

Upthorn wrote:I have watched the movie recently, because outer heaven, and the finished script only uses that word one time.

Looks like you're right. I thought I remembered more than one use the last time I watched the movies but I must have misremembered. (Do they say it in Bogus Journey too? Maybe I'm combining them in my head.)

At any rate I heard it twice in the first audition video, one of which is the scene that made the final cut.

(Which, y'know, points at least for context, which is teenage boys being insecure that any show of genuine affection for each other makes them look gay. I think it's a good bit of social commentary, but it caught me off guard a little the last time I watched it.)

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:49 am

They say it once in Excellent Adventure after they hug each other and then have a freak-out after realizing they hugged. Then in Bogus Journey, the two are confronted with evil robot duplicates. Instead of fighting, they try to hug the robots and convince them to exist in harmony. The evil robots call them the f-slur and shove them off the cliff.

It shows a remarkable amount of growth I think a lot of people tend to overlook.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:51 am

I think most of the reviews on Face the Music have reflected my feelings pretty well; it's a real shaggy dog of a movie, but also so were Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey. It doesn't feel entirely like either one of those, and doesn't get mired down in only doing call backs to the greatest hits. I really appreciated how much it did its own thing. It reminds me of the ABC Muppets revival (or what little I watched of it, anyway) in that the amount of melancholy seeped into something so purely silly feels almost off-putting at times and how much that affects you will pretty much depend on how much love you have for the characters in the first place.

Anthony Carrigan (who you might know as NoHo Hank from Barry) is probably the best new addition to the cast, but holy christ Brigette Lundy-Paine channels young Keanu Reeves. I wish the current cameos were a little better, but eh, Kid Cudi's part is kind of amusing.

Finale Spoilers:
The ultimate expression of the Wild Stallyns song that unites the world being them literally uniting the world by giving everyone on the planet and throughout time an instrument to all play the song together hit way harder than it probably should've. This is me nearly crying in 2020 over the concept that people could ever actually put aside their petty bullshit just to have fun and love one another.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:32 pm

signature

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:33 pm

let’s go dunc love da dunc

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:05 am

KingRoyal wrote:

Didn't see this until today, but okay. Now it has my attention.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:52 am

Yeah that looks like maybe it'll be... good?

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:16 am

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:48 am

The problem with adapting Dune to the screen is that you cannot adequately capture Dune's atmosphere and quality without having both:

1. Sting and Picard
2. you know, the movie is good

So the problem is that while this trailer looks like it might have 2, sadly the filmmakers have missed the chance to have Sting and Picard in it
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:27 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:11 pm

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:17 pm

It's all going to be worth it if Zach Snyder never gets to direct or produce a film again.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:18 pm

It's shaping up to be the biggest financial disaster since...

[checks wikipedia]

... Justice League.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Maybe they're banking on a cult following. I mean, they already have a cult following, but I'm talking about the kind that still cares 30 years later.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:33 pm

Brentai wrote:Maybe they're banking on a cult following. I mean, they already have a cult following, but I'm talking about the kind that still cares 30 5 years later.