and Dead Tree Comics

Thad

Re: and Dead Tree Comics

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:04 pm

But it was 12 years ago and when's the last time anyone talked about it? Why now?

And I haven't picked up Amazing Fantasy so I can't speak to that, but Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow and Transformers: King Grimlock really don't feel much like Avatar at all. Way more of a Burroughs/Howard/pulp SFF thing going on.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:28 pm

Isekai is a really popular genre lately huh

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:37 pm

Saw somebody draw a comparison between these two gravestones:

To quote another guy from the biz: 'nuff said.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:52 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:46 am

More Busiek/Image news.

Arrowsmith, Astro City, and Autumnlands are all coming back, not to mention some reprints of other Busiek books and a new series called Free Agents.

It sounds like the previously-announced plan to continue Astro City as a series of OGNs is out; from what I understand from the announcement it's going back to single issues.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:08 am

The second half of the Sandman/Locke and Key crossover is really quite good and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I do have one gripe: Etrigan's in it but there's no "The Demon created by Jack Kirby" credit.

I don't think it's intentional; these things happen, and hopefully they'll correct it when it's collected. But Jack fought so hard to get his credit that it's always a little frustrating when he doesn't.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:13 pm

The final issue of The United States of Captain America introduces an Air Force officer named Captain Merrick and I cannot decide if that is the worst thing or the best thing.

Catwoman: Lonely City asks the question, "What if The Dark Knight Returns, but Catwoman?" and so far at least it's really very good!

It's the story of a fiftysomething Selina Kyle, who's just getting out of prison, where she was sent following the death of Batman. It slowly teases out what happened, and what's happened since. It hits a lot of the same beats as DKR -- aging hero comes out of retirement, has to deal with physical frailties and a fascist government -- but Selina's a different lead than Bruce, and faces different challenges because she's a woman and a criminal.

She's building toward a last heist, and some kind of mysterious MacGuffin. And I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:26 pm

laughing so hard rn

fucking perfect

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:17 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:55 pm

One of those things where I saw the text of the tweet first and sort of mentally rolled my eyes at the hyperbole and then I saw what was underneath it and was like "no wait, he's totally right."

I read that sequence in Popeye, Volume 3: "Let's You and Him Fight" and it blew me away. It just keeps going. It's really something thinking about it coming out one day at a time. That's, like, the better part of two weeks on one fist-fight.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:59 pm

Thad wrote:One of those things where I saw the text of the tweet first and sort of mentally rolled my eyes at the hyperbole and then I saw what was underneath it and was like "no wait, he's totally right."

I read that sequence in Popeye, Volume 3: "Let's You and Him Fight" and it blew me away. It just keeps going. It's really something thinking about it coming out one day at a time. That's, like, the better part of two weeks on one fist-fight.

As many comments point out, that fight, and related Popeye fights was one of the single biggest influences on DBZ and other BIG FIGHT Shonen.

(also I updated above because I had the wrong tweet, meaning I accidentally left off Sharkey's additional comment)

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:15 pm

and then Popeye forces a pair of sunglasses on Bluto that reveal King Blozo is an alien

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:38 pm

Mongrel wrote:As many comments point out, that fight, and related Popeye fights was one of the single biggest influences on DBZ and other BIG FIGHT Shonen.

Popeye is one of those things that's bigger in Japan than its home country at this point.

They have men's magazines called Popeye and Brutus.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:46 pm

Thad wrote:
Mongrel wrote:As many comments point out, that fight, and related Popeye fights was one of the single biggest influences on DBZ and other BIG FIGHT Shonen.

Popeye is one of those things that's bigger in Japan than its home country at this point.

They have men's magazines called Popeye and Brutus.

Heh. The biggest chain of supplement/body-builder crap stores in Canada is also called Popeye's.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:00 pm

Well that makes a lot more sense than fried chicken.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:30 pm

Oh, we have those, too.

Sometimes within walking distance of the other kind.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:50 pm

On the subject of old comic strips: @DonaldRexJr is flippin' great. Gasoline Alley, Krazy Kat, Gordo, Rudy...he posts some really good stuff.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:52 pm

It's interesting the stuff you take for granted. I got the old Busiek/la Chance Vampirella series in a Humble Bundle recently, and one thing that's struck me about it is it can be hard to follow the narration because the narrator changes throughout the story, from third-person limited to a rotating cast of first-person narrators.

And this is the sort of thing that today would simply be handled by changing the style of the narrative boxes -- using different lettering for each narrator, maybe sticking a face or icon in the corner to indicate who's talking, that kind of thing. (Coloring them differently is a common option too, though these specific comics were originally published in black-and-white, so that wouldn't have been an option in their first printing. Seems like it would have been a good idea in the color reprint, though.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:51 pm

George Perez has stage 3 pancreatic cancer; his life expectancy is 6 months to a year. He has decided not to undergo treatment.

The man is a legend and, by all accounts, a lovely person. I'm sorry to hear we're about to lose him.

This is probably my favorite Perez cover.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:06 am

Schultz hating the title his strip was given by the syndicate is something you may or may not have heard before, but my god, this quote.

source