Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:32 am

gud thread

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:14 am

I have a lot of issues with this, not least of which is the general reason the market tends to adapt that 3d style (to save money mostly through labor exploit at the cost of quality. But I got all that out of me on twitter, so I'll sum up the rest with this:

When Vash and Knives grow up and start to consider the world around them for themselves, they get different haircuts. In this version they have the same style on different sides, showing differing ideals. In the originals, Vash allows REM to mold him (his hair) in her image. Knives chooses his own style, on his own. They are very different, the rest of the crew can finally tell them apart. Why would you take an existing metaphor and replace it with a much more generic and less fitting one?

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:22 pm

beatbandito wrote:Why would you take an existing metaphor and replace it with a much more generic and less fitting one?

Mirroring one model is less work (and therefore less animation cost) than making two completely different ones.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:00 pm

Fire Punch, Tatsuki Fujimoto's manga before Chainsaw Man, is pretty interesting. (CW, it loves talking about rape. Nothing has been shown yet [I'm about half-way through the run] but it is discussed as having happened, will be about to happen, etc.)

It starts out pretty generically about what you'd expect. Everything is just a little more crass than CSM, there's a creepy brother/sister thing going on. Then things move a lot faster than you'd expect. A number of tropes, development and settings seem to breeze by, and we're introduced to a new character. Director sees the main character's story and thinks the drama is being wasted, so she works with the main cast. Helping and hindering them, or just breaking the fourth wall to call attention to ways the ongoing story is progressing in, or out, of standard manga and movie tropes.

It's been going on like thing long enough I don't think there's time for another major change in narrative. It does definitely have a feeling similar to the ps1 era "not ANOTHER boring tutorial" voice lines while you're... in the middle of a boring tutorial. But I think it's been really enjoyable.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:21 pm

beatbandito wrote:Fire Punch

I'm 3/3 on deciding to talk about a manga before I finish and there being some major development in the next 5 chapters. In all, though, it doesn't change too much from the above description. There's a lot that looks like Chainsaw Man by the end, especially when it comes to fights. The idea of a well-framed story persists, but the primary theme definitely dwells on people, how they act, what they want, and who they are. Also stuff we see a lot of in chainsaw Man.

I would call the ending "beautiful". It was simultaneously more sad but much less dark than what I had been envisioning for most of the run (though it wasn't terribly far off). I can't see this every making it to an anime, no matter how popular CSM gets. But I think it's worth the 83 chapter investment to read.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:56 pm

Kristine is watching Chuck and my diseased manchild brain cannot stop considering it isekai

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:02 am

Virgin Extinction Island continues to surprise me with sex-positive and frankly feminist takes. Every male virgin in Japan suddenly develops a tumor that can kill them after they turn 18. A large portion of the population immediately dies, and high school boys across the country a dealing with existential dread. And it amazingly doesn't immediately become darkly horny. As the manga ignores and the scanslators acknowledge between chapters "half the readers ask about gay sex, half ask about rape. Ask what says about you."

The story isn't actually about solving the issue of the virgin plague, it's about a bunch of (entirely straight, for the sake of the focus) virgin school boys for whom not losing their virginity by graduation actually means death and how poorly they handle the situation. Development comes from learning how to respect yourself, act around other people, and understanding what a mutual relationship is. It has some of the best takes on healthy sexual relationships I think I've ever seen out of a Japanese property.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:06 am

That is fucking wild. I was planning to skip it entirely based on how many toxic sexual and relationship tropes I expected from something with that name and concept
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:32 am

Based on the discussions I saw on it I fully expected chapters 2 forward to be about sexy schoolgirls running away from exploding rapists.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:43 pm

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:07 am

Watched a couple eps of the Netflix Cyberpunk anime. It is *very* Studio Trigger.

Some people have said that the wild, manic energy of this scene is the high point of the series:

You know, if that's the high point...I'm okay with that. It's a fantastic sequence.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:08 am

I can't see on that page, but is it actually Trigger producing it, or another studio closely aping their style? Looks like Trigger's work, certainly.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:20 am

Yes, it's actually Studio Trigger.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:27 pm

Yeah the Cyberpunk anime rules so far

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:05 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:25 pm

I have seen a weird anime.

It's a standard 23 minute episode. Before the eyecatch is a completely played-straight very dark and pretty sad story. Heavy CW on pretty much everything but sexual assault. The second half is seemingly establishing a sci-fi or even fantasy setting with lead ins for basically everything established prior to have been wrong.

It seems to be based on a manga that was released semi-animated on youtube, and the animation style definitely plays on that, which was what caught my eye originally. Looks like it'll be kind of anthology and we've just established the framework.

I can't recommend it, and have no idea how I feel about it. It just struck me as very weird in different ways than anime usually is.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:24 pm

If you can keep up with subtitles, I highly recommend that you check out Akiba Maid Wars
I also highly recommend that you not research it at all before watching the first episode.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:17 am

The Exception starts really strong, with great world building and an interesting central conflict. Then it meanders around for 7 episodes before ending. I'm really disappointed by how much this fell apart on me, it keeps jumping back-and-forth between metaphor and soft sci-fi. The actual extent of consequences for any action are very poorly defined, and characters fall into ancient anime tropes by the end.

The main thing it has going is the soundtrack. Specifically the OP and ED themes.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:58 pm

one piece film red fuckin SLAPS and i'm glad i finally got to see a one piece movie in theaters

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:29 pm

go watch Bocchi the Rock