(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:52 pm

I'm not gonna lie, I think that character design combines enough odd elements to end up in a pretty creepy space.

*tits embiggen*

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:32 pm

It's really not even the giant tits. It's the oversized head, and the tiny baby hands that you can't unsee once you notice them, and being the only character in the show to have that exaggerated style.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:57 pm

Blossom wrote:It's really not even the giant tits. It's the oversized head, and the tiny baby hands that you can't unsee once you notice them, and being the only character in the show to have that exaggerated style.

The embiggen line was just because oops I made a criticism haha that tweet. I'm not sure if you thought I meant that was the only/main problem?

If so, nah, we're on the same page - it's all of those elements. And the fucking flesh fang. And her eyes being even more disproportionate vs other characters than her head. And the weird stalker personality (not exactly a first for an anime protag, but, you know). And...

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:55 pm

yeah i was more responding to the last post on the previous page

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:14 am

Not commenting on her design apart from holy shit fleshfang is so creepy and bad.

I love regular fang and will fight to the death to defend it. But fleshfang is awful.
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:59 am

Nagatoro has been rocking a flesh fang for years with no complaints. But just add some tiddies to it...

Seriously though, flesh fang has been around in basically everything with a fang girl for ease of drawing. So there's absolutely more to this girl than that. The gigantic tits with an absolute baby face I can understand, but just the flesh fang I don't buy.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:05 am

Flesh fang is a lazy manga drawing trope that got copied over to anime to "maintain the artist's original vision" or some bullshit. What might look passable in black and white fails miserably in color. I first saw the flesh fang in Laid Back Camp and I wanted to launch the fanggirl into the sun.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:51 pm

Esperath wrote:What might look passable in black and white fails miserably in color.

I read an old Charlton story by Steve Ditko the other day where, presumably as a result of Charlton having the cheapest coloring in the business, a trumpet was the same color as its player's face. It was really kind of amazing how unintentionally grotesque it turned out to be.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:38 am

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:50 am

a vastly superior meme anime girl that upset people
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Yeah Bowsette manages to be silly as fuck, rather than creepy.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:10 am

I wish dubs were still this good

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:51 pm

Tuxedo Melvin.

Never forget.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:03 am

Me, two days ago: "I don't even care about berserk updates anymore. It's been literally years since we got any real new information or development."

Berserk, today: there was a version of the God hand with four different members but void still in charge. Gaiseric was the last user of Gut's armor and may have done the sacrifice unwillingly. Griffith is so definitely related to Gaiseric, or at least his sacrificed love.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:33 pm

Okay.

I have been vaguely aware of the impossible-to-track "Monogatari Series" (Bakemonogatari+) since the first anime adaptation like a decade ago, but it has been hard to get into. It seems like equal parts really cringey / problematic and legitimately really great conversational writing.

The thing is, it being known as the "Monogatari Series" and otherwise having different names for each series, those being released out of order for the original light novel stories, the stories seemingly not all being connected or even the same universe? All made it hard to know where to get into if it's mainly about character interaction.

I was thinking about it again today and found this list of 5 full series and 5 OVA releases and which ones tie to which original novel which really does not clear anything up.

Has anyone been into this, or at least know enough about it to offer a viewing order or suggestions on what's necessary? Just starting with Bakemonogatari seems obvious, but with everything out there and the peaks and valley I don't want to give up on a great part because I started with a bad one.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:33 pm

I just found out about two school comedy series that I'm a little behind on but...

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou: is pretty generic but good. It's almost all jokes about manga and anime cliches played out in a similar story structure. But there's also something... I want to say like Seinfeld or Always Sunny where the characters go on long tangents completely absorbed into their own scenario that we can see from both their and onlooker perspectives. It also gets a lot of bonus points for depicting all the guys as effete otaku while all the girls in their lives are genetic freaks, not normal, you got a 25% shot at best at beating them. And then you add Kurt Angle to the mix?

Also also small skits in each episode are about some of the girls from the neighborhood and it's where the "oh so it was just a joke" *casually throws aside a large rock* meme came from.

Asobi Asobase: worries me because it's the second time I've realized I've collected a folder of anime schoolgirl pictures and I don't need that to turn up after I die. Anyway, it's hard to describe, it's crude but not too horny. It's also got some of the strongest lesbian energy radiating from the main three girls I've ever seen in an anime.

The main appeal for me has been reaction shots. The lead, Hanako Honda, gets multiple amazingly stylistic shots per episode. And since we're close to the end of this page, enjoy!

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:07 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:52 pm

I just recently read two good manga miniseries that are kind of problematic/dark, but overall good stories.

Runaway with me, Girl is a sweet story about childhood romance and love. It touches on domestic abuse, but turns thing around for what I've been describing as a "Steven Universe Ending". The will and love of the main characters is enough to change the world and people around them, basically. But it's still a good read. It handles (Japanese) public perception of lesbian couples a bit more "realistically" than you see in manga, and as corny as the last few chapters are, they're still pretty cathartic.

Bota Bota is by the Beastars mangaka. It could be described as "dark ecchi". Childhood trauma is an underlaying theme, and sexual exploitation. It also starts out more like a one-note sex comedy, but I think the ending completes a pretty decent character arc focused on growth around the MC's trauma. I am also super hot for Mako.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:28 am

Just read through Chainsaw Man start-to-finish in about a day.

It's a fun story, Power is actually a decent choice of waifu, the fact that there's a sequel coming ruins the shoestring of worldbuilding they established as well as the ending. Not really anything else to say.