(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Niku

Re: (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Postby Niku » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:42 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Parsed this as "id" rather than "LCL", so I was trying to remember the part in the original NGE Evangelion where Shinji's murderous split personality went around blowing shit up

you're thinking of evangelion. that is evangelion.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:37 pm

In rebuild 4, why was Suzuhara Touji still alive? Did I miss something important not happening in the previous films?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:39 pm

Is 3+1 4 or is there actually a 4 after 3+1?

EDIT: Actually there's also a 3+1+1 I believe?

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:27 pm

evangelion 1.0 was a theatrical release that was kinda jank animation wise and they made 1.1 to fix it and then the home release was 1.11, then 2.0 and 2.22, then 3.0 and 3.33 which are just "theatrical" and "home video" without fixes/changes (afaik). 3.0+1.0 is just 4, it's just 4.

it's just stupid naming conventions for funsies.

Caithness wrote:In rebuild 4, why was Suzuhara Touji still alive? Did I miss something important not happening in the previous films?

asuka piloted the rogue eva in 2.22 instead of touji doing so in the TV series; and even in the tv series he survived, just with massive leg damage. i think he actually bites it in the manga? he and kensuke and everyone else just kinda got evacuated/saved from tokyo 3 when third impact happened and are now thrivin' and survivin'

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:06 pm

I meant specifically the rebuild numbering, which I thought used that weird # + # system rather than decimals.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:20 pm

Ah the manga was the first version I experienced, must be why I remember it that way.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:35 pm

Yeah I recall that's the way it goes in the manga as well.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:37 am

Mongrel wrote:I meant specifically the rebuild numbering, which I thought used that weird # + # system rather than decimals.

Yes. Niku's explanation was entirely about rebuild.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:50 am

SPOILERS FOR EVANGELION 3.0 AND EVANGELION 3.0+1.0

KAWORU: i believe in you shinji *explodes*
SHINJI: jesus CHRIST no i'm gonna just fucking dissociate for months
REI: i believe in you shinji *explodes*
SHINJI: ok that did make me feel better

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:42 pm

let's be honest, we would all feel a little better if we made a clone of our mom as a teen and then watched her explode.
ImageImageImage

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:23 pm

SHINJI: ok no bullshit now. so exactly what the fuck is your deal Kaworu
KAWORU: lol i dunno
MARI: my deal is obscure as well and i'm fucked up just like all the other kids but at least i don't have depression
SHINJI: know what? fuck it i'll take it

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:48 am

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:02 am

shucks howdy

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:36 am

Early this year, I subscribed to Crunchyroll and Funimation, and decided to try some of the current generation of anime.
I don't really know a lot of people who watch anime anymore. Or at least, I don't really know a lot of people who eat, drink, and bleed anime, think about it 24/7 and are always down for a conversation about what's new.
So, in the absence of anybody specific to talk to about them, I figured I might as well start inflicting my thoughts on the boards. So, I'm going to be posting mini-reviews in this thread until I get bored or run out of anime to review.

Let's kick things off with the reason I wound up buying subscriptions to anime streaming services:

Dragonball Super
I have a love-hate relationship with Dragonball. I loved DBZ when I was in high school. Then hated it for how dumb and slow it was. Then hated myself for ever liking it in the first place. But eventually I was like, "Y'know, I heard some people talking about this like they enjoy it, maybe I should check it out!"

And watching the first episode made me so happy that I decided to watch the franchise from the beginning, starting with OG Dragonball, slogging through the boxset of DBZ Kai, and then continuing on to DBS proper.

When I was a high school kid I was all caught up in how awesome the power levels in DBZ were, and how Goku could totally kick Superman's ass, and I missed all the fun stuff that actually makes it worthwhile.

Like all the comedy around Goku being a lovable moron who never has any idea what's going on.
And the fact that Boo is literally just "what if the DB crew had to fight an OG Looney Toons character?"

That said, watching the gradual evolution of Muten Roshi from a mostly-harmless voyeur to a molester who won't take "no" for an answer and literally chases a woman around a dojo for several minutes, trying to squeeze her boobs... Well, that part is not fun, or funny, or okay at all, really. There were episodes I could not watch, because of this.

Conclusion: Dragonball Super is Dragonball Z without the pacing issues. The fun parts are really fun, but the fact that some of the comedy is still "lol, look at this woman getting groped without consent" was a lot easier to write off as a product of a different era when it wasn't in something that came out in the goddamn 2010s.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:00 pm

You probably didn't even get to Puar being forced to change into a girl so Roshi can rape her. Amazing how they managed to take a character there's no place for anymore and make them even worse than the early 90s version.

Honestly the best bits of super are Vegeta being the only one taking Beerus seriously and running around like a maniac to get them food. You can pretty safely stop there.

As for DBZ Kai, I recommend you find some of the filler arcs and give them a watch. Kai is a great way to get caught up quickly, but missing out on like 90% of the comedy makes it such a slog to go from fight to fight. At least that was my opinion when I attempted to re-watch.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:32 pm

Pretty impossible to stress how fucking amazing Lupin III: The First is. Go see it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:16 pm

I want to see that Lupin entry, but it's kind of depressing how much static the genre is.

I feel like all I see people talk about with new anime is old properties being revisited, usually for nothing more than reassuring nostalgia, genre stagnation, and even regression (i.e. that Master Yoshi shit... god knows how terrible a Ranma 1/2 remake would be!). Even with new shows, it seems like the bubble-economy era is really popular as a setting right now. And of course Isekai is popular enough that it's self-parodying.

Like the world's going to hell, and the answer to that in Japan is to try and ignore this by going back in time, and that's not something which particularly interests me.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:48 pm

I'll say The First makes Lupin's role a bit more like Mad Max in his eponymous series, especially Fury Road. I really didn't like it much at first, but accepting it as a standalone story helps things. Also the first act is probably the weakest.

Angry Beaver

Postby Angry Beaver » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:50 pm

I typically only take DBZ in Abridged form any more, but I got a chance to see the new Broly film and it made me feel 13 again. And no one gets groped!

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:43 am

DBZA has problems of its own, e.g. gay jokes