TV Series On The Television

zaratustra

Re: TV Series On The Television

Postby zaratustra » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:21 pm

If I ever gave the impression I enjoyed The Big Bang Theory in some capacity I'd like to retract that now.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Oh dear. What'd they do this time?

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:06 am

Something happened in the latest BBT and I must know what it is. I can only imagine what they must've done to alienate the last lingering sods that have stuck with it this far.

Healy

Postby Healy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:11 am

Yeah, I wanna hear the deets on this one too.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:12 am

Maybe they finally admitted Sheldon is autistic?

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:48 am

The first thing in the episode is Sheldon saying "I can't decide whether to buy an XBox One or a PS4", followed by an immediate laughtrack.

It just gets worse.

I guess it's not a jump-the-shark moment that is the peak of terrible writing. It's just the cold, hard knowledge that it's going to be like this, forever, and I'll have to keep watching this because my wife can't get enough light, funny, slightly prejudiced shows to put her to sleep.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 am

Oh, I think I heard about that one. Doesn't he sit in the store all day, agonizing over the decision? Compelling television, that.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:52 am

To be fair, I would laugh of a real person said that.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:18 am

Yes, I could go on and on about how none of the people he would be playing videogames with seems to care at all, or how a person like Sheldon is less likely to buy a new console and more likely to be playing Bubsy 3D for twelve hours a day while compulsively noting bugs only they were able to find, but that would mean I spent more time thinking this over than every person that touched this script combined.

This show is not even nerds as stereotypes anymore. It's standard sitcom tropes awkwardly mapped into something that might pass as interesting for a demographic that pays much less attention to these things than me.

There's a scene where Sheldon walks into his own house, where the rest of the group is, and it's staged exactly like everyone else lived in the house and he was a wacky neighbor. This is suicide preparations. This is calling friends you haven't seen for ten years to tell them how important they were to you. Some scriptwriter out there has a gun in one hand and a fifth of scotch on the other and a note across their chest that just says "BAZINGA".

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:25 am

All they need to do now is have a scene where Sheldon spends a minute degreasing a pizza.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:04 pm

My advice: get the wife turned onto New Girl. I'm not really a particularly big fan of Zoe Dashanell, but she's not annoying and every other character is dynamite. Plus, women seem to love it.

Worth a shot.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:30 pm

She's watched all of New Girl. And all of Two Broke Girls, How I Met Your Mother, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead as well. She's currently watching some prequel for Sex And The City.

I need to get her back onto Being Human.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:05 pm

Is that a different show, or just a harsh critique of her taste in media?

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:11 pm

HEYO

Being Human is about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost that are roommates. Which is probably the best you can do in the Twilight fashion wave.

Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Are they teenage-angsty white-wolf styled supernaturals?
Or maybe they're more slapstick Sims styled?

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:59 pm

I've always said the problem I have with Big Bang isn't that its calls itself a 'nerd' show and its not really about 'nerds', nor do I have a problem with it being a bad sitcom that caught on with the masses despite being terribly unfunny (that just happens man, Everybody Loves Raymond had like a million seasons). My problem with it is that I have to deal with people like once every other week telling me I should watch the show because 'You're a nerd too.'

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:01 pm

...guys, please just threadsplit Big Bang Theory again, we really don't need it overwhelming the TV thread.

MEANWHILE: Silicon Valley is off to a legitimately amazing start, IMO. Judge's gift for goofball-but-believable characters is at its peak, and what really impressed me on top of that is that they really seem to have gone to some effort to make the technobabble believable. The most implausible thing about the show is the idea that a guy working for a big tech company could write an algorithm worth millions and NOT be under a contract that says the company automatically owns it -- but even then I guess there are escape hatches. (Could be he already wrote it before he started there. Could be he's a temp who's so far beneath notice that he never had to sign that sort of contract. Not really the point; it's technically possible, just unlikely.)

Anyway, it's not Office Space good, but I think it might be the best thing he's done since, at that's after just one episode. I'm excited about this one.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:17 pm

Yeah it looks great, I was going to watch it after GoT last night but I had to sleep. I'll watch it this evening.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:34 am

Thad wrote:...guys, please just threadsplit Big Bang Theory again, we really don't need it overwhelming the TV thread.

Sorry, that sounded bossier than it should've. Suggestion; just one man's opinion.