TV Series On The Television

Upthorn

Re: TV Series On The Television

Postby Upthorn » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:04 am

Meanwhile on HBO:

I just finished the first episode of Lovecraft Country.
It is about a family of black Americans in the early 1920s who have to fight the twin monsters of racism and eldritch abominations in order to reclaim the lovecraftian horror mansion birthright that was stolen from them... also by the twin monsters of racism and and literal eldritch abominations?

The first episode is all that's available at the moment, and it has very good pacing and tension building. It also pays some mind to generational familial abuse, and the difficulties of breaking or intervening in that cycle. I would like to watch the full series, or at least a full season, before leaving a review, but the first episode has me pretty excited for more.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:24 pm

Fargo season 4 premiers on the 27th. Sounds like it's pretty good.

Looking for connective tissue (since there's always been some), one name jumps out to me: Rabbi Milligan (Ben Whishaw) shares a last name with season 2's Mike Milligan (Bokeem Woodbine). I'm curious to find out what the connection is. Season 4 is set in the 1950s, putting it a generation before season 2; Whishaw doesn't exactly look like he could be Woodbine's biological father, but he could be an adoptive father or uncle or cousin or something of that sort. "There's a violent bloodbath, Mike's parents are killed, and the Rabbi takes him in" seems like a pretty safe guess for something that would happen on Fargo.

Or it could just be Hawley fucking with us. "What? Sometimes people just have the same last name; it doesn't automatically mean they're related."

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:27 am

Really loving Raised by Wolves. It's essentially about two robots trying to start a small colony on Kepler 22b, with a larger story about a religious war back on Earth. Over the course of the season these two sides start to interact more and more.

Hard to say much without spoiling what happens, but, it's the kind of show where I cannot predict what's going to happen next, episode to episode. I love the two main robot characters, they're fascinating to watch attempt to raise children.

Not much else to say but that the technology level is really advanced and interesting, and Ridley Scott directed the first two eps. Feels like an attempt to make an Alien tv series, but, actually good.

It is sometimes pretty gory, with like mutilation or graphic violence sometimes, so be aware of that. I will say that none of it feels particularly jarring or gratuitous. The tone is bleak, but, again, very interesting.

Love the intro a lot:

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:59 am

....Word.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto