Game of Thrones: The TV Show

Niku

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show

Postby Niku » Mon May 06, 2019 6:56 pm

bad things happening to women builds character

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon May 06, 2019 7:45 pm

From my analysis of MEN WHO THE SHOW REALLY INSISTS ARE GOOD PEOPLE DESPITE VAST EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY i deduce this

the hound will kill the mountain and probably die in the effort

jamie will kill cersei and probably die in the effort

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon May 06, 2019 8:46 pm

Jon and Daenerys will be sucking on the heads of the siege crossbow bolts insisting it's a war strat while Arya and The Hound just pop up to execute Cersei and The Mountain.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue May 07, 2019 7:39 am

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Tue May 07, 2019 10:31 pm

Qyburn knows how to please the qeen.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue May 07, 2019 11:49 pm

Jon and Daenerys will be sucking on the heads of the siege crossbow bolts insisting it's a war strat

thanks this is the best summation of the absurdity this season and i'm stealing it

but seriously my fucking god, the writers are god damn terrible beyond all belief

find some way to make Cersei a threat that doesn't involve the good guys being absolute morons
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun May 12, 2019 12:08 am

beatbandito wrote:Haven't seen it yet, but had this unexpected cameo spoiled.

That coffee cup got more press coverage than the goddamn royal baby. "Burn them all" is a pretty good summation of how I feel about the American news media.

Mongrel wrote:Image

That's really it in a nutshell. Martin ain't perfect, but he understands the fundamental truth of fiction: plot follows character. (That's why Dany has spent three goddamn books in Meereen: because she can't not try to free all the slaves.)

D&D are very much following the Lucas/Spielberg formula of "here are the plot beats, now let's write a script that contrives to hit them." And we get shit like the Battle of Winterfell. "You, women and children -- we're locking you in the crypt. It's the safest place from the guy who can raise the dead. You, guy with the scars who abandoned his post the last time he saw people using fire in combat. Go stand over there next to the firewall."

It's still a little early for a postmortem, but I think it's fair to say that what the showrunners really did well was find a truly excellent cast who mostly make their nonsense sound good. I'd say Maisie Williams is really the sensational find out of the lot, but there are a whole lot of folks who've either started their careers on this show or had those careers elevated.

And of course it's still a damn fine show for spectacle. All this nonsense looks really good onscreen; it's just that nothing anybody does makes any goddamn sense anymore.

Rico

Postby Rico » Sun May 12, 2019 12:31 am

And, to be fair, Martin's plot-follows-character approach isn't getting to his couple of actual plot points any better than D&D's plot-beats is respecting character, or the books would probably have been finished a while back.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun May 12, 2019 12:43 am

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 12, 2019 2:10 pm

This is actually kind of amazing. I don't think I've ever seen actors mutiny on a show quite like this before.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 13, 2019 11:06 am

Rico wrote:And, to be fair, Martin's plot-follows-character approach isn't getting to his couple of actual plot points any better than D&D's plot-beats is respecting character, or the books would probably have been finished a while back.

Oh sure. This way we're getting an ending. It's just that so far (haven't seen last night's episode yet), it's an ending that's left me cold and disengaged. It's technically impressive but nothing anybody does makes sense, and even the banter's not very good most of the time anymore. There are still occasional nice little character moments (like Davos being the first to stand and applaud when Dany makes Gendry the Lord of Storm's End), but even character arcs that have had time to cook, like Dany turning into her father, feel more like ticking off boxes than organic character growth (and jeez that's three mixed metaphors, isn't it?).

Something like the Battle of Winterfell, which the series has built to from the jump -- it was technically very impressive, but in the end it felt like a massive anticlimax to me. What, that's it? And that's a pretty unfortunate place to be after all that buildup.

...you know what? This is the thread for my "Grant Morrison's last arc on New X-Men" analogy. Here's all the stuff that was supposed to happen and it's kind of a mess and an anticlimax and there's probably a Sophie Turner/Jean Grey joke in here somewhere.

Not to say that the latest two books are Martin's best work, either. They've got problems that start with the format and get worse from there. But at least I never caught myself asking "Wait, why would they do that?" Even when characters make decisions that are bad or dumb -- and there are a lot of those -- it always makes sense as something the character would do.

Except when Jon gets his ass killed because he locked Ghost up somewhere. God dammit, Starks, how the fuck have you not learned you shouldn't lock up your wolves by now?

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon May 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Thad wrote:...you know what? This is the thread for my "Grant Morrison's last arc on New X-Men" analogy. Here's all the stuff that was supposed to happen and it's kind of a mess and an anticlimax and there's probably a Sophie Turner/Jean Grey joke in here somewhere.

[insert Frank Quitely panel of Cyclops saying "Jean, we need to talk about our marriage," while Jean vomits up slime]

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon May 13, 2019 6:19 pm

there ya go

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 13, 2019 7:23 pm

I wonder if the TV series coming to such an ignominious completion will further paralyse GRRM, all but sealing the coffin on anyone ever seeing further books authored by him, or if it'll galvanize him to finally fucking get his own version out.

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon May 13, 2019 8:58 pm

patito

Postby patito » Mon May 13, 2019 11:24 pm

Thad wrote:
beatbandito wrote:Haven't seen it yet, but had this unexpected cameo spoiled.

That coffee cup got more press coverage than the goddamn royal baby. "Burn them all" is a pretty good summation of how I feel about the American news media.

That's actually reasurring about the news media, because nobody should be giving any fucks about royal babies.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue May 14, 2019 7:04 am

Guess can we not talk about whatever is happening on Suits in the Got thread? Kthxidkmybffjill

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue May 14, 2019 8:11 am