Star Wars

Thad

Re: Star Wars

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:34 pm

beatbandito wrote:Well, it looks like it wasn't Ezra we were building towards.

Yeah, I'd have still guessed him if the Jedi had shown up an episode or two earlier, but he's not big enough for a big season finale surprise on a live-action show.

Biggest surprise wasn't so much that Luke actually showed up as that they were willing to go back to that particular well -- or that particular uncanny valley -- after Rogue One.

I still expect we'll see him at some point. If not in this series, then maybe in one of the other dozen or so spinoffs they've got coming.

Bonus for another moment of "this makes absolutely no sense if you've seen Rebels".

Eh, I think it still works. Even though she didn't show much concern about not winning the darksaber in combat last time, well, given how things turned out maybe that's a bigger sticking point now than it was then. Not just for her but for the people she wants to lead.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Thad wrote:Finally got around to watching Rogue One. I really liked the first act, right up until Forest Whitaker decides to die for no discernible reason.

Okay I'm on season 5 of Clone Wars and now this makes a lot more sense. Saw's been trying to get himself martyred for 25 years.

Of course this is the main risk in shared-universe storytelling: that your audience won't know who the fuck these people are or why they're doing what they're doing, because they haven't watched all the various spinoff media. (I was talking to my brother the other day about The Mandalorian, and I explained to him that Ahsoka was Anakin Skywalker's apprentice. That's what you might call some pretty important context.)

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:11 pm

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:03 am

Guess know we know he's a fan of Peter Davison's Doctor
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:24 am

Looks like Carano's fired. Dawson is still headlining her own series.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:06 am

Saw "#FireCarano" trending today. Happy to see something actually came of the repeated pressure, seeing as how she was clearly already headed to the station to board the Q train.

Though pissing off the popular star of the series (Pascal has a sister who's trans) probably carried a lot more weight, and that's one thing Dawson doesn't have to worry about... I sure wouldn't want to work on THAT set.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:44 am

Reading between the lines, it's possible she was fired months ago -- there's something in there about how they originally planned to announce a Carano-starring series back in December but balked; I suspect that's Rangers of the New Republic, which they announced but left her name out of.

Yesterday may have just been the other shoe dropping -- Disney announcing the decision because just quietly letting her go wasn't enough anymore, and her agent dropping her too.

I think as much as anything it was her inability to keep her mouth shut. Disney's made it pretty clear they'll hire some pretty awful people, but Rosario Dawson's not mouthing off on Twitter so she gets to stay.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:42 pm

It ultimately shows what is or is not over the line for a corporation like that.
Gina Carano is openly transphobic on twitter? Fine, nobody cares.
Gina Carano's transphobia is hurting her image among the fans, so she pivots her fanbase, turns to anti-masker shit and covid denialism and claims of election fraud? Quietly skip the announcement of her new show.
Gina Carano compares being a republican to being jewish during the holocaust? That warrants a public firing.

As impressive as it is to post your way out of a starring role in Star Wars, it's pretty clear that transphobia isn't something they think tarnishes their image.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:58 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:01 pm

As impressive as it is to post your way out of a starring role in Star Wars, it's pretty clear that transphobia isn't something they think tarnishes their image.

Transphobia is, and will be for a long time going forward, a lot more socially acceptable than any other kind of bigotry.

I've been learning about Turkey. The Country, not the meat. And I mean deep deep dive learning, starting from the beginning when the people who currently live there were nomadic raiders on the Asian steppe.

Anyway, Turkey currently has the highest murder rate of trans people in the entire world. It's also the only Islamic majority country where it is legal to be trans. Hande Kader is still used as a symbol by the queer community.

So, is Turkey worse than all the other Muslim countries? Well, it seems like the answer to that would be yes, because again, highest murder rate. But it's also the only place in the Muslim world where you can go to a gay bar. It has a thriving nightlife of queer among the youth.

The point is, the more these issues come to light, the more pushback and hatred occurs. The murder rate of trans people is lower in the fucking desert because the trans people there stay deep, deep in the closet because they know if they ever take one step out of it they will be stoned and then burned alive and hung as people cheer and dance around their corpse.

The point I'm making is that as things get better, they will also get worse. Social progress always brings backlash, cruelty and murder.

This isn't anything any of you didn't already know. But it can help to hear someone else say it. The things that are happening are happening for a reason. Transphobia in the US is going to increase as we move forward, not decrease. I'm not saying that's a good thing. Of course it isn't. But it is an expected thing. Backlash against the blacks, backlash against the gays, backlash against the trans people. When we're done with trans people it'll move on to whatever is next.

Of course, hatred will never go away. People still are racist. People still are homophobic. Hatred never dies. But it does become less and less acceptable to the mainstream. After enough people have been brutally murdered for decades*, of course.

Anyway, fuck Gina Carano, and fuck Rosario Dawson. And fuck Disney.

* of course, trans people have been being brutally murdered for as long as they've existed. You know what I mean.
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:20 am

Trans folks are the canary in the coal mine of bigotry against the LGBT+ community. The problem is that the canary usually dies first.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:33 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:09 pm

I've never heard Ezra referred to as "space Aladdin" before, and I kind of get it. But also it makes me really uncomfortable.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:50 pm

Here have some bad space wars adventure memes instead.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:25 pm

Chewie got 'bacca

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:16 pm

beatbandito wrote:I've never heard Ezra referred to as "space Aladdin" before, and I kind of get it. But also it makes me really uncomfortable.

It's more a season 1 callback than anything. Ezra's introduction was pretty straight-up "Aladdin, but in space," and whether the Massoud rumor is true or not, somebody seems to have made that connection.

But yeah as the series goes on Ezra gets a real character arc and isn't very Aladdin-y anymore.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:21 am

Headline: "The Star Wars Sequels May Have Changed Rey's Lineage at the Last Minute"

That's the most shockingly incisive Star Wars analysis I've seen since the 2008 think piece "Hey, wait a minute, I think that kid in Phantom Menace might have been Darth Vader!"

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 am

Huh, I didn't even pick up on that. You can barely tell.
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:36 pm

Boba Fett has potential. The criminal syndicates that run Tatooine are ripe for exploration, there are some good western setpieces, and it adds some devlopment to the Tuskens.

Would have been better not to establish "yep, these Tuskens are slavers too" before spending the next episode trying to make them sympathetic.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:50 am

It's also another one of those stories set in a desert that appears to have been written by people who don't understand how deserts work. Stop traveling during the day! It's hot!

And Fett seems weirdly immune to sunburn for a bald dude wandering around without a hat. Like his face gets all gross and peely but stays strangely pale.