Deals on Things

Thad

Re: Deals on Things

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:12 pm

Kobo's got the (DRM-free) ebook edition of Dead Lies Dreaming, by Charles Stross, marked down from $15 to $3.

While the description says "Laundry Files #10", Stross has said that's something of a misnomer; it's not really directly connected to the Laundry series, it's a new, unconnected storyline set in the same universe. (He says think of the "Laundry Files series" like Discworld at this point, a setting with multiple protagonists and storylines rather than a single series.)

I haven't read it yet (or any of the Laundry novels since The Annihilation Score) and I was planning on picking up a dead-tree copy, but for $3 I'm thinking maybe I'll go ahead and get the ebook.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:21 pm

Poking around the Kobo store some more and noticed they have one of the recent Wild Cards books, Knaves Over Queens, on sale for $3 as well.

I never got into Wild Cards -- picked up a short story collection at one point, in a bundle or for free or something (judging by my Calibre library it must have been Deuces Down), read part of it, it didn't leave much of an impression -- but this one's got stories by Paul Cornell and Charles Stross in it and they usually do good work. Not really familiar with the rest of the contributors (other than editor/co-creator George R R Martin, of course).

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:48 pm

The Criterion Flash Sale is on; 50% off everything at criterion.com for 24 hours. There'll be longer sales (through Barnes and Noble) in July and November.

I think I might go ahead and get that Godzilla set and put the discs in a different case. Maybe pick up some Welles, too; I keep meaning to check out F for Fake and Chimes at Midnight.

ETA: Ordered those and City Lights.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:16 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:08 pm

Doctor Who comics bundle

I have some of these either from print or previous bundles, but I've been meaning to check out that Third Doctor miniseries by Paul Cornell and Christopher Jones. It's at the $10 tier, which is less than it ordinarily costs by itself.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:05 pm

50% off Criterion films at Barnes and Noble for the month of July.

If you miss this one, there should be another one in November.

Hm. I keep meaning to watch The Seventh Seal and Stagecoach. And that new 4K edition of Shaft looks pretty cool.

...wish they'd make it easier to find what you're looking for. Doesn't seem to be any way to search just the Criterion Collection section on Barnes and Noble; you're either navigating it by category or searching the entire website (or at least the entire Movies and TV category).

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:50 pm

Rifftrax birthday sale through the 24th. Free Jaws riff (Just the Jokes, provide the movie yourself) with any purchase, 20% off almost everything, plus if you spend $50 (after discount) you get a $16 gift card.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:03 pm

Humble's got another Big Finish Doctor Who bundle on. My thoughts on the ones I've listened to:

Doom Coalition 1 is great and includes The Red Lady, one of my favorite standalone stories.

The Diary of River Song 1 is solid (though I liked vol 5, where she encounters various incarnations of the Master, better). I described it in more detail over in the Doctor Who thread.

I never listened to the last episode of the first War Doctor story, Only the Monstrous, but the first two were okay enough. Hurt does good work as always. The biggest problem is that ultimately, it's a pretty conventional Doctor Who story. For all the buildup about the Time War and the War Doctor, nobody really wants a story where the Doctor commits war crimes, so instead we get a fairly standard Daleks-versus-Time Lords-with-civilians-caught-in-between story where the Doctor is a little grumpier than usual and keeps telling people not to call him the Doctor.

It looks like a good set and the stuff on the $18 tier usually goes for a lot more, but it's also worth paying close attention to what's included. Some of these are full-cast audio dramas but some of them -- anything with "Chronicles" in the title -- are audiobooks and tend to feature smaller casts, narration, and, most importantly, usually have somebody else playing the Doctor besides whoever the original actor was (if he's in it at all). In particular, putting a giant picture of Christopher Eccleston as the first thing on the page feels like a bit of a bait-and-switch, because he's not in any of these; The Ninth Doctor Chronicles is not the series of new plays he's been doing, that's The Ninth Doctor Adventures. (Humble also sent out an e-mail advertising this set whose subject line begins with "Allons-y!" The Tenth Doctor is not in any of these either.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:22 pm

They Might Be Giants are giving away the John Henry Demos free. Valid e-mail address required.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:41 pm

Bunch of free fantasy romance novels for download, today only. Not my scene so I can't vouch for whether any of them are any good, but just in case anybody's interested.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:01 pm

Okay, I love the "Steam Level" ratings on those.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:28 pm

*slams the download button on all four lesbian romances*

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:38 pm

In case you're into physical media, Shout Factory's Going Out Of Print Soon - Save While Supplies Last section has some goodies like the complete Gravity Falls and the 40th anniversary edition of Rock 'N' Roll High School.

Skip their complete Sgt. Bilko, though; if you want that, I hear the UK edition is the one to get.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:29 pm

Criterion flash sale; 50% off discs until noon ET tomorrow.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:30 pm

Attack on Titan bundle; $5 gets you the first 5 volumes of TOS, the first 3 volumes of the Before the Fall manga, and a few other spinoffs, $25 gets you all 34 volumes of TOS, all 17 volumes of Before the Fall, and a whole bunch of other spinoffs.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:18 am

Humble's got an audiobook bundle on that includes all the Murderbot Diaries books to date at the $20 tier. I keep hearing good things about them and I'd definitely grab this if it were an ebook bundle, but I really don't listen to many audiobooks.

OTOH, I'm currently in a brief window where I'm spending about an hour a day driving, for the first time since I stopped commuting to work, so if I were going to run through some audiobooks now would be the time to do it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:21 pm

Greyfox Books has released Mega Book Collection, a visual history of the Mega Drive/Genesis, as a free download since Sega C&D'ed its publication.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:27 pm

50% off Criterion sale is on at Barnes and Noble, through July 28.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:26 am

(And I was planning on giving this one a miss, but then again Alan Arkin's passing reminds me that I do keep meaning to get a copy of The In-Laws...)

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:21 am

This isn't really news, but it doesn't look like anybody's mentioned it on the boards yet so I'll go ahead and share:

Some time back, Tom Lehrer released all his music into the public domain, and last November he put it all up to stream or download on tomlehrersongs.com. He adds on the disclaimer page,

THIS WEBSITE WILL BE SHUT DOWN AT SOME DATE IN THE NOT TOO DISTANT FUTURE, SO IF YOU WANT TO DOWNLOAD ANYTHING, DON’T WAIT TOO LONG.

though I expect you'll probably be able to find them somewhere on the Internet basically forever.

Lehrer, for those unfamiliar with his work, is a musical comedian and parodist from the same era as Allan Sherman, and Weird Al has cited him as one of his principal influences (and said he got the idea to cast Daniel Radcliffe as himself when he saw him sing Lehrer's "The Elements" on a talk show).